Join Early Retirement Today

Turn Signals!!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Turn Signals!!

Turn signals. Why oh why are people so lazy they can't move a finger slightly off the steering wheel to flick the lever? Out for a bike ride yesterday and had a big pickup pass me. Then it slowed down a bit(still in the wrong lane).....so I slowed down. It slowed down a little more....so I slowed down. You can never tell for sure what the hell people are thinking so I was being safe. Finally as we get down to about 10mph they signal to turn right. By this time I have no idea what the hell they are doing and really wish not to be run over by any vehicle, let along a big white pickup. I wave him over and they eventually turn right (in front of me) and into their drive way. Considering we just had a murder across the river from me the other day....and dumped his dead woman in a tub of acid.....you wonder what kind of nuts are out here...
1. Why did they even bother to pass me when their drive way was right there anyway?
2. I need a Sheldon Cooper laser beam eye death ray for anybody who doesn't use their turn signals.

How many times have I (and I am assuming a lot of other people) had a car suddenly slow down in front of me (while I am driving or riding) and just suddenly turn left or right? Hell......even if I am riding my bike I signal if there is anybody anywhere near me. Guess this fits in with talking on the phone while driving/testing....unless they start getting tickets for it it will just get worse.

And as long as I am whining....please....if you are driving down the road and coming up behind a bike.....and there is a large truck coming the other way.....don't check to see how good a driver you are by finding out if all 3 of you can all fit in the same place at the same time. Sometimes I think everybody should have to ride a bike one week out of the year in traffic and see things from a different perspective. Yeah....I know. Some bike riders are a pain as well..... On the whole....drivers around where I live are pretty good. The last place I lived in the UK was terrible and I ended up not riding because of all the near misses...especially with the 3 vehicles in the same place on narrow roads.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Relax. Some people even things out by going farther than necessary on the other end. My uncle, for example, is one of these good samaritans.

He will put his left turn signal on when leaving his house in Delaware, and not turn it off until he arrives at his grandson's place in Cleveland. Surely that makes up for your example of the person who waits until the last minute?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Agree, turn signals are good, but isn't a death ray a bit much? Maybe shocks from that flying laser thing in Star Wars. The one that trained Luke Skywalker to use the lightsaber.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

Well ok....maybe NOT death. But if I had the laser eyes I could put holes in the truck/tires....or maybe write "use your damn turn signal" on the side panel. Not sure where I would pick up the Star Wars floating balls....Amazon?
Old 06-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I could put the laser death ray to good use, chopping off the fronts of cars hanging out into the middle of the road. Whether they are ostensibly stopped at a stopsign that traffic on the intersecting street does not have, or whether they are coming out of a driveway, they'd better watch it! If those with the right of way have to slow down because they are half blocked, zap!! Off with their fenders or even front wheels or more.

Zing, zing, zing goes my laser death ray as I blithely motor down the road, leaving mutilated cars behind me in pieces as I go.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Zing, zing, zing goes my laser death ray as I blithely motor down the road, leaving mutilated cars behind me in pieces as I go.
There you go, that's the attitude I like.....and I wouldn't have to feel guilty about actually killing anyone. But then with my luck....they would probably make it against the law and lump it with texting while driving.....damn.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Not to mention the drivers who wait to turn on their signal when they are already halfway through the turn. Oh, really? Now you're letting us know you're turning? Well duh.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Administrator

Are Emily La Rou and Rollo posting in this thread...
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not sure about them, but it does appear this guy is...

Old 06-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I didn't recall who they were, but I found this quote on the Turner Classic Movies website:
Quote:
The Fields episode, frequently cited as the favorite of the film's fans, casts the comic as Rollo La Rue, a down-and-out vaudeville juggler ­ recalling Fields' own past as a juggling headliner. When Rollo's wife (Alison Skipworth) receives the $1 million check, the couple sets out on a mission to avenge the wrecking of their prized automobile by "roadhogs." They spend the money for a convoy of new cars and a group of tough chauffeurs, and then take to the streets in search of rude drivers ­ whose vehicles they destroy by ramming into them! This was one of a series of Fields films in which his personal obsessions were incorporated into the script. In real life, he had a passion for automobiles and a loathing for other drivers ­ especially those who inconvenienced him.
EXACTLY!!! I apparently have much in common with them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Couple of ways to look at the turn signaling.

1. It was an option not purchased.

2. Live in a small town. Never use turn signals, everybody knows where you are going.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I didn't recall who they were, but I found this quote on the Turner Classic Movies website:

EXACTLY!!! I apparently have much in common with them.
That's it. The movie is "If I had a Million", it is a series of vignettes, and this one is titled "The Roadhog".
Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Administrator

To borrow from Jean-Paul Sartre, "Hell is other drivers."
Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Perhaps this option is appropriate?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Perhaps this option is appropriate?

No
Old 06-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Recently returned from a long road golf trip with a friend who drove. I found out he was hard hearing when I noticed he always forgot to turn off the directional signal. He finally told me that his wife gives him hand signals when he forgets, so that's what I did the rest of the trip.

I remember some years back I had a car that gave off an audible tone when you left the signal on for too long. Can't remember what kind of car that was. Thought that was a good idea. But, then my friend probably couldn't hear that sound either.

I finally cured my wife of waiting too long to turn on the signal. She always waited until the last second before turning it on. I asked her one time why she even used it as by the time she turn it on, everyone knew where she was going. I got an earfull about that but she has improved.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try driving on the Beltway around DC, or most other major cities. Using a turn signal just alerts other drivers about your intentions, and they speed up to block you off. I always make sure to use my signal, but not until I'm already commited and they don't have time to react. It's more a victory signal than a signal of intention.

Of course, in kinder and gentler traffic I use my turn signals more politely.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #18

I live in Orlando Florida, where, if you have a rental car, it is your God Given Right to back up without looking first. Turn signals Forget about it....I'm on vacation.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #19

Hmmmm...maybe I should just shut up and make sure my bike brakes are in good condition....and maybe....an extra set of laser beam eyes to make those horrible people in Florida pay dearly...if I ever get down there again....but it's so flaaaaat down there.........
Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Couple of ways to look at the turn signaling.

1. It was an option not purchased.
Yep, apparently not a standard feature on BMWs sold in California...
Boose is offline   Reply With Quote