Join Early Retirement Today

Tux Transport
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tux Transport

I have never carried a suit or other formal garment onboard a plane. What are various successful methods to do this and still look reasonably sharp on the other end?

I guess in the end i could set it in the bottom of checked luggage and ask for forgivness at the hotel laundry...
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is a link from another forum that might help.

Is there such a thing as a carry-on garment bag?

I suggest calling the airline to see if you can bring a garment bag as carryon and if so, what dimensions. Failing that, I recommend packing the tux in your checked suitcase. My personal preference in packing business wear was to use a hard shell Samsonite) suitcase, which came with a rectangular removable frame with a clasp for a coat hanger (supplied). I hung the suit on the frame and folded it around the rectangle. This kept it flat. I always put a plastic dry cleaning bag over my suit and packed it in the middle of the suitcase. On arrival I would hang it immediately and in most cases it would hang perfectly by the next morning. If not, I ironed it, though steaming would be easier if you have access to a steamer.

Hope that helps. Mind you, I did once see someone bring a wedding dress aboard a flight (in a very long garment bag) which the flight attendant carefully hung in the coat rack in business class. A tux will be much easier!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I used to fly to Chicago every year for my wife's firm's annual dinner dance. I rolled my tux up in the plastic bag from the dry cleaner. Worked fine.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Use the plastic bag and then hang up once you get to your destination. I traveled about 4 million miles during my career with suits, tux's, dress shirts, etc and this always worked for me. Or you can just have it pressed once you get to your destination.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Administrator

+1 to the advice so far. My years of travel were all suit and tie. When packing, try to fold minimizing wrinkles. I often brought along a clothes hanger, and once at my destination hotel would hang the suit and shirt in the bathroom with the shower hot water on. A short (environmentally unfriendly) steam bath helped. Many hotels also have irons available for loan.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Not much experience traveling with suits, or even wearing suits...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the seasoned guidance, everyone. With all that, I can get this done.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1 to the advice so far.once at my destination hotel would hang the suit and shirt in the bathroom with the shower hot water on. A short (environmentally unfriendly) steam bath helped.
Yes. This does work quite well. I used to fill the bathroom with steam, hang up my clothes, close the door, and go to bed. Next morning the wrinkles were mostly gone.
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote