Join Early Retirement Today

TV
Old 11-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

TV

We are in the search to replace our 27" tv with a big screen. Any suggestions or any pitfalls to look out for. We want something thin screened. Plasma --- a bit costly and from the literature, can have burnouts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: TV
Old 11-11-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
We are in the search to replace our 27" tv with a big screen.* Any suggestions or any pitfalls to look out for.* *We want something thin screened.* Plasma --- a bit costly and from the literature, can have burnouts.* *
One of the reasons I wouldn't go plasma is the burn-in issue, and the fact that they lose their brightness over time.

LCD screens have really come down in price, and have a fairly nice picture. Some of the newer DLP TVs are < 12" thick, and can be quite large in size- they're also fairly inexpensive. Some people like DLP projectors, although bulb replacement costs are quite high ($300+), and unless you have a high end 3 chip DLP projector, some people (like me) can see 'rainbows' from the color wheel.

I bought a TV about 2 years ago and went with a 32" 4x3 CRT HDTV (I figured that when 16x9 is more common, i'll get a 16x9 screen).... IMO nothing can come close to the picture quality you can get from a direct-view CRT- the down side? It weighs about 100 pounds. 1080i is a beautiful thing- DiscoveryHDs 'Sunrise Earth' series is quite nice in HD
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Iagree that the HDTV, CRT's can't be beat for picture quality, but like Marshac states, they are chunky and that means heavy.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #4

How big do you want to go? * A front-projector can produce a very nice 100-inch picture on a very slim screen, for example.

Here's a good comparison of LCD vs Plasma:

LCD vs Plasma

One thing they don't mention is that plasmas consume more watts, and the cooling system can be somewhat noisy. * Make sure you listen to your set in a quiet environment before you take it home.

If you go with a rear projector, verify that the viewing angle will work for you. * They tend to fall off much more sharply than flat panels.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #5

We have a Samsung 51' DLP and it's fabulous.* The picture is consistent from ALL angles.* With Hi-Def, the picture is off the hook!! This TV had the highest ratings on CNET a few years ago.* We also have an 27' Phillips LCD flat panel in the bedroom which is PC compatible (some aren't).* I'm happy with the Phillips and frankly I would choose a LCD over a plasma any day.* Plasma's had too many issues in the past.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #6

Yep, plasmas and tube projection will burn. I'm reluctant to go with LCD because I've seen laptop pixels go bad and don't want that on my TV, but admittedly it's been a while since I've seen a bad pixel.

I bought DLP. It's not as bright as LCD or plasma in the brightly list store but has been fine at home except when the sun shone through wide-open windows directly in front of the TV...then it wasn't bright enough.

I don't notice the rainbow effects unless I turn my head rapidly to try to, but a friend of mine finds it distracting. Some of the new DLPs are surprisingly thin.

DLP also doesn't burn in and it's cheaper (more frugal?) than the flat panel TVs.

There's a new tech out that sounded good in print when I read about it. I forget what it's called, but it's worth checking into.

When I bought back in January there wasn't anything reasonably priced with native resolution over 720p; if native 1080i (or even 1080p) displays are available now it will take some thinking about whether or not they're worth the extra money.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Yep, plasmas and tube projection will burn. I'm reluctant to go with LCD because I've seen laptop pixels go bad and don't want that on my TV, but admittedly it's been a while since I've seen a bad pixel.

I bought DLP. It's not as bright as LCD or plasma in the brightly list store but has been fine at home except when the sun shone through wide-open windows directly in front of the TV...then it wasn't bright enough.

I don't notice the rainbow effects unless I turn my head rapidly to try to, but a friend of mine finds it distracting. Some of the new DLPs are surprisingly thin.

DLP also doesn't burn in and it's cheaper (more frugal?) than the flat panel TVs.

There's a new tech out that sounded good in print when I read about it. I forget what it's called, but it's worth checking into.

When I bought back in January there wasn't anything reasonably priced with native resolution over 720p; if native 1080i* (or even 1080p) displays are available now it will take some thinking about whether or not they're worth the extra money.
It depends on what brand you bought. DLP technology from Samsung is highly rated. I personally think the picture is the best I've ever seen, especially when hooked up to high definition. As far as cheap, my TV was $4500, although, this was 2 years ago. A 51' can be had for half the cost these days.

As far as hooking up my LCD with my computer, I haven't tried it yet. I have yet to get into the mood of surfing the internet from my bed.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone --- thanks for all the great comments. Going to print off and show DH tonight. Will keep you posted on what we purchase.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:21 PM   #9

The current Consumer Reports has a report on these.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #10

I was at work and didn't finish my earlier thoughts. Now I'm at the airport, so I'll keep it short.

CNET has a good HDTV primer. I got a Samsung DLP and paid more but have all sorts of video inputs for my geeky endeavors.

I particularly enjoy not having to worry about burn-in...no stretching my picture to fill the screen.

My friend has a tube projection HDTV and it's nice but big, heavy and can burn in.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #11

About a year ago I was also shopping for a HDTV. I ended up with a 32 inch LCD Samsung and could not be happier with it. Picture is stunning. I receive all of my HDTV signals free with an Antenna. Sharper than cable and DVD!

I looked at the Tube TVs and They weighed close to 200 lbs. - That is what finally convinced me to go with a LCD at only about 35 pounds. I also wanted something in the 32 - 34 inch range and plasmas and DLPs were just too big!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
About a year ago I was also shopping for a HDTV.* I ended up with a 32 inch LCD Samsung and could not be happier with it. Picture is stunning. I receive all of my HDTV signals free with an Antenna. Sharper than cable and DVD!

I looked at the Tube TVs and They weighed close to 200 lbs. - That is what finally convinced me to go with a LCD at only about 35 pounds. I also wanted something in the 32 - 34 inch range and plasmas and DLPs were just too big!
Some of us are old enough to remember the ugly "console" TVs that weighed 800lbs. My mom still has one from the late seventies :P It's still works!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Some of us are old enough to remember the ugly "console" TVs that weighed 800lbs.* My mom still has one from the late seventies* :P* It's still works!
Whoa, the electron gun in that thing must be lethal. These days, dumps will charge you if you want to toss out your old CRT (due to lead). I wonder what they charge to dump that monster.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Whoa, the electron gun in that thing must be lethal.* *These days, dumps will charge you if you want to toss out your old CRT (due to lead).* *I wonder what they charge to dump that monster.
Actually the picture tubes were all about 25 inches Diag. - considered a small TV today. It's just that the cabinets were big!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Some of us are old enough to remember the ugly "console" TVs that weighed 800lbs.* My mom still has one from the late seventies* :P* It still works!
Probably because it was hand-wired in America at the RCA factory...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:09 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Actually the picture tubes were all about 25 inches Diag. - considered a small TV today. It's just that the cabinets were big!
The one my dad had was second hand B&W and to get it to turn on you had to tap on the back of the picture tube with a pencil. : We had that thing for many years until they went to color. They alway bought the big console sets. They did the same for the "stereo"; basically a turn table with a built in radio with 4 speakers; two on each side of the box. It was obtained with S&H Green stamps. I still remember pasting those suckers into books. :P
Old 11-11-2005, 04:56 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm very happy with my Panasonic 37" Plasma.

We might have gone with a CRT but couldn't fit the 260lb set where we wanted it.
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I have a Sony 51" CRT and have been very pleased with it so far (4 months). The HD picture (local stations via roof antenna) is spectacular. Looked at plasma, DLP, & LCD but was not convinced the technology was as reliable as old CRT projection, and I hate expensive surprises. The price (under $1,500) was right, too. It is a monster at 176 lbs, and we were fortunate to have plenty of room for it.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna buy an LCD HDTV for myself soon because I will be bedridden for a few weeks and will be watching lots of TV and DVDs. I don't have cable, but I do have an antenna in my attic of my 2-story home. I live 40 miles from the TV broadcast antennas in Houston. For those of you who watch HD broadcasts, is your antenna outside your attic? Do you think my locale and attic antenna will allow me to get HD broadcasts without problems? Thanks!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I'm gonna buy an LCD HDTV for myself soon because I will be bedridden for a few weeks and will be watching lots of TV and DVDs. I don't have cable, but I do have an antenna in my attic of my 2-story home. I live 40 miles from the TV broadcast antennas in Houston. For those of you who watch HD broadcasts, is your antenna outside your attic? Do you think my locale and attic antenna will allow me to get HD broadcasts without problems? Thanks!
I have an attic antenna and am located about 25-30 miles from the transmission towers. I get very good reception on all HD channels except one that is 180 degrees from the direction my antenna is pointing. I am also located high on a hill and have near line-of-sight to the towers.

Don't know if 40 miles will be a problem, but you might try feeding your location info into the web page below for some recommendations.

Good luck and I hope the reason you will be in bed for a few weeks works out for you.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx