Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

TV Arrangement -- Too Weird?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

TV Arrangement -- Too Weird?

Our new recliners are bigger, recline further back, and need to be further from the wall. As a result, watching TV while reclined puts the TV in the reading part of my bifocals.

Two possible solutions to this:

1. Get yet another pair of glasses just for watching TV.

2. Put the TV on top of the entertainment center. I haven't done this yet, since it's so radical, but I used my paint shop program to see what it would look like. I could fasten it down, though it would probably still fall in an earthquake. As long as no one was underneath it, that wouldn't be a bad thing (time for a better TV).

But would it just look too weird, and dominate the living room?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TVOnTopSmaller.jpg (107.5 KB, 9 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think it looks particularly bad from the photo at all. It isn't too large or too small for the top of that entertainment center. When you look at the total room does it appear dominant? You can use the trick that models use to see if they have too much of anything on (lipstick, bright color for their complexion and so forth): Close your eyes for a few seconds, then open them and see what the first thing is that captures your attention. If it's the tv, then, yes, it probably DOES dominate the room.

I'd be more worried about it falling during an earthquake as you don't want to keep buying tvs every time there's a shake let alone cleaning up the mess.
Is this the only possible solution? I mean, can you get another tv that's maybe larger that sits on a more stable table where you could get away with your same glasses and putting this one in another room?
Maybe the answer is to go to the cheapest solution and/or more practical solution and hang the appearance?
But, no, my vote goes to the tv does not look bad at all from the photo IMHO.

Personally, I hate tvs in the living room--not that we don't have one now in the living room--but that's just me. I understand this is out of step with what 90% of everyone else thinks....I'm allowed one eccentric idea aren't I?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd try it out. That is, if your wife doesn't mind. I think it would look a bit better if it was on one side or the other of the stand, rather than the middle.

Do you have lined bifocals or progressives? I tend to watch tv reclined on the couch and with the progressives I don't seem to have the problem.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

No problem hoisting that 75# or so up there?
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Totally agree with Martha: Put it to one side or the other instead of the middle if you decide to keep it up there. More aesthetically pleasing that way.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

If your wife thinks it's okay I'd say you are good to go . Is it color or black & white ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Is it color or black & white ?

...ahem. Yeah if you and your wife are ok with it being up there, that's all that matters. It's your home.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Our new recliners are bigger, recline further back, and need to be further from the wall. As a result, watching TV while reclined puts the TV in the reading part of my bifocals......
I have the same problem, so just seldom watch TV....I mostly just listen and glance at it occasionally. If there's a show or movie that I really want to watch, I'll force myself to keep the lazyboy partially upright....but that's the exception, and NOT the rule!

So anyway, given the options you list, I'd go with #2. If/when it comes tumblin' down, I'd get a nice flat screen LCD or plasma, and bolt that sucker to the wall! My neighbor did that in his master bedroom....got a nice 48" LCD and mounted it up high on the wall, so he can lay in bed and watch TV at night.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #9

Ahhhh.....48" LCD, mounted high, lay in bed and watch tv....my dream situation! Sigh........someday in the future....
Old 12-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Who cares if it "looks weird"? If you care, you'll know it and you'll change it back. But otherwise, who cares what guests think? They don't have to live with it day after day - - you do.

Personally I think it looks good like that and it is a great idea, as long as it doesn't bother you or Lena.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
OK Al. You're taking our Christmas spirit and long-time association too much for granted. What next? advice on how to trim the hedge in your front yard?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

DW is surprisingly receptive to this, but I'm like Orchid in not liking the look of the TV in the living room. I like the current ability to close the door to the entertainment center.

We've had the TV since 1991, and every time it flickers, I'm routing for failure.

I have lined bifocals, the progressives haven't worked for me.

I think three of us can get it up there safely. We'll quit if it doesn't seem reasonable.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #13

Al, they also make a TV platform that mounts in the corner of a wall and tilts downward. You can put this as high as you want. Got ours at Home Depot but I'm not sure how big your TV is and if it would hold the weight. Wife's TV is 16" so it's not too heavy or too bulky. Works great in her sewing room. We have the same problem in the bedroom and want to get a 28" LCD and mount it flat up on the wall. The ceiling would be the ultimate but haven't seen that done yet.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

How about a tv cozy?....

TV Cozy How-To and more decorating ideas, organizing tips, and homekeeping and cleaning solutions on marthastewart.com
Old 12-26-2009, 12:11 PM   #15

Al, I wear trifocals. The middle section comes higher than the reading section on bifocals. I have the same problem with the recliner. Our solution is to put the TV on a medium height table and if I recline to watch then I use a small pillow under my head, just enough to get the TV view to be in the top portion of my glasses.

We really need to get a new TV stand or cabinet. The table looks tacky and we have other equipment (TiVo, DVD Player, amplifier) that should be better integrated in our arrangement. Our old cabinet had doors that closed and looked like a nice piece of furniture. All the current equipment operates with remotes so I don't see the need for something with doors.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the same problem, but I don't have a way to get the the TV higher than it already is.
Solution: I tilt my glasses down. I'm sure I look funny with my glasses inclined 30 degrees. I'm also sure that I don't care

Steve
stevenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Definitely a new pair of glasses (two, one for each of you). And just get rid of the old TV.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

HTFU and sit up straight Al