Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
1. To reduce production costs/increase profits
2. To influence the sales of more modern sound systems with optical inputs, hoping you'll purchase a Samsung system - and increase profits.

Next question...
Why didn't my dell tower come with floppy drive?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This looks like a workable option if the speakers and receiver are already in place.

Why would Samsung design a product with such limited outputs? This thread is a reminder to thoroughly check the connection specs before buying a new TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
1. To reduce production costs/increase profits
2. To influence the sales of more modern sound systems with optical inputs, hoping you'll purchase a Samsung system - and increase profits.

Next question...

One other aspect that is being ignored - the digital output support 5.1 surround sound (with compatible receiver) with one simple cable connection. To do that with analog requires 6 RCA jacks, and a bundle of 6 cables. Most consumers would probably prefer once cable connection to six.

I wish I could find a true digital to 5.1 analog converter (the ones I see are supposedly a 'simulated' surround sound). That way, I could use a few inexpensive discreet amplifiers, and not have all my eggs in one basket. I have had a few modern receivers die on me, with all their computer controlled integrated systems, they are near impossible to repair. One component failure and the whole thing goes to recycling.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Solutions for this UNJ48 are limited.
1. optical toslink to analog audio converter (search Google) to receiver.
2. Sound Bar with toslink. Need proper cable if cable not included.
3. Optical toslink to receiver.
4. HDMI

I was disappointed with this TV a little. But it was a gift, and I will enjoy it.

I myself may look for a smaller receiver/amp or sound bar with toslink.
I'm actually fine with my older receiver(glad it had an optical port). Might be a little bigger than some of the brand new one's but fits in a slot in my media cabinet under the TV. Pushes my speakers with a good sound. Although it would have been nice if the TV had additional outputs...in the end the solution was fairly simple. I think the TV has a pretty decent picture.