Join Early Retirement Today

tv audio out to speakers
Old 04-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

tv audio out to speakers

Online I'm looking at new TVs, which have gotten very complex in the past decade, and there's scant mention of ability to drive external speakers. You know, run speaker wire from the TV direct to a pair of small unpowered speakers. Old school, simple, fits my needs. In general, is such audio output available on at least some currently sold TVs? In digging through online user manual PDFs, I've yet to find one TV that still offers such output.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Most do not offer this feature anymore but they do sell sound bar. Depends on the brand, you may even find sound bar made specifically for your tv.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Mp

Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #3

You would have to use the headphone jack to go to a receiver. Most have optical or coaxial out for 5.1 sound.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

You can use the unpowered audio out from the TV and send to a regular set of computer powered speakers. The nicer models with a sub sound good and are less than $100, compared to the $200-300 soundbars.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Want to avoid a receiver since one adds complexity, power use, wiring, and remotes.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeofpain View Post
You can use the unpowered audio out from the TV and send to a regular set of computer powered speakers. The nicer models with a sub sound good and are less than $100, compared to the $200-300 soundbars.
Well, that would avoid a receiver, but it won't be powered on and off at the same time as the TV. And that means certain household members won't know how to turn it on while others will erratically turn it off.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #7

Take a look/listen at some of the TV's available, you may not need an external speaker. I have a Sony LCD TV that has a decent soundbar like speaker built into it. Not surround sound but sounds very good, I rarely listen to the TV audio through my receiver and external speakers.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 AM   #8

I think many television manufacturers are deliberately reducing their investment in high quality speaker systems because so many of their customers are opting for external options. We moved a television from our bedroom (where we watched it primarily in the morning, and primarily just for news and weather) into the living room (a huge great room, with volume ceilings). The performance of the speakers was grossly inadequate for the larger space and for the type of programming we started watching on the television. We solved the problem easily with a high quality sound bar:

Sony HTXT1 2.1-Channel TV Base Speaker with Built-in Subwoofer (B00IWQREOE) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

As you can see from the graph, it has come done a great deal in price (we paid $30 more for it). If you follow your way through to Amazon, you'll see that it is very highly rated. If its connections are compatible with the outputs of your television, I think it may be a perfect solution.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

When we recently got a 4K for our family room, I didn't have a 4k receiver with compatible HDMI connections. So for sound, I ran an optical cable from my TV to the old receiver which powers a 3.1 speaker setup. The cable box, ethernet, and DVD connect directly to the TV. Still much better than a soundbar and I already had the receiver and speakers.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeofpain View Post

I do that with my bedroom tv. Does me quite well. Living room TV which is used often I just use the speaker from TV. Downstairs TV is wired through stereo.
I wonder if older people have a hard time hearing words through tv speakers. My parents can hear normal conversion between us fine at normal speaking levels...But when the TV is on and that is often, they have the house rattling from maxing volume out to hear. I made them buy a $200 sound bar but that hasnt seemed to help the need to rattle their house still. I dont get it...Some frequency must be missing in their ears. I dread them coming down to visit only because they need their Fox news and it is loud enough for my neighbors to practically hear it.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Well, that would avoid a receiver, but it won't be powered on and off at the same time as the TV. And that means certain household members won't know how to turn it on while others will erratically turn it off.

There are a number of universal remote controls on the market that will turn both the TV and sound bar on and off with a single button. Once it is programmed, it knows to adjust the volume on the sound bar instead of the TV (keep the TV sound muted or turned all the way down). Takes a little programming, but nothing too difficult if you take your time and follow the instructions. They can also be programmed to control streaming boxes (Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc.), DVD players and just about anything else you can think of that would hook up to a TV. I use a couple different models of Harmony remotes (on different TV's) and have been very pleased. Non-techie DW has no problem operating everything.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #12

I haven't listened to the TV speakers in 30 years. I've always run the sound through a receiver that goes to a good set of tower speakers.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I wonder if older people have a hard time hearing words through tv speakers. My parents can hear normal conversion between us fine at normal speaking levels...But when the TV is on and that is often, they have the house rattling from maxing volume out to hear. I made them buy a $200 sound bar but that hasnt seemed to help the need to rattle their house still. I dont get it...Some frequency must be missing in their ears. I dread them coming down to visit only because they need their Fox news and it is loud enough for my neighbors to practically hear it.
I have always thought that it was the fact that normally in a movie or TV show there is a lot of other competing background noise (soundtrack etc.), which is sometimes quite loud compared to the actual voice levels whereas in normal life speaking situations in the same room there isn't as much background noise?
Maybe?
I know there have been several shows/movies that I have recently watched and the audio level of the actual voices was horrible compared to the audio levels of the background sounds etc. and I find that very irritating.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I haven't listened to the TV speakers in 30 years. I've always run the sound through a receiver that goes to a good set of tower speakers.

+1. I've got 4 TV's. Two hooked up to sound bars (with wireless Bluetooth subwoofers) and two hooked up to 5.1 surround systems. Couldn't stand the thought of having to listen to these tiny speakers installed in today's TV's. Just don't ask me why DW and I need 4 TV's for the two of us.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
+2

All my audio/video devices go into HDMI inputs in the back of a surround sound receiver. There's a single HDMI output feeding video to the TV, which effectively acts as a "dumb" monitor. Sound goes from the receiver to my 5.1 tower speakers. Our bedroom TVs have either a soundbar or an old desktop PC sound system.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #16

I installed one of these Saturday for my kitchen TV that I got for $115 shipped (FRUGAL) off ebay

LG LAS454B Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer - Walmart.com

connects via optical cable and sounds absolutely terrific, bluetoof music sounds great too
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I do that with my bedroom tv. Does me quite well. Living room TV which is used often I just use the speaker from TV. Downstairs TV is wired through stereo.
Both my wife and myself often had a hard time understanding dialog using the TV speakers but found that routing the sound thru good quality amplifier and speakers completely solved that problem.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Online I'm looking at new TVs, which have gotten very complex in the past decade, and there's scant mention of ability to drive external speakers. ....
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Want to avoid a receiver since one adds complexity, power use, wiring, and remotes.
If you just want basic stereo out, and have the speakers, just get one of these min-amplifiers to connect through the headphone jack. They sip such a teensy bit of power when not driven, I just leave them on all the time.

Have this connected to some old 'minimus' Radio Shack speakers to the kitchen TV - plenty loud to boost the the sound.

Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier with Power Supply

Higher power, and bigger bucks - have one of these hooked up to my older home stereo speakers and a TV in a spare bedroom - it cranks out pretty well:

Dayton Audio DTA-120 Class T Mini Amplifier 60 WPC

A cheap, powered 'computer speaker' with the separate sub-woofer will give you more bass, but they usually scrimp on the mid-tweeters, which is what you want for the voice, if that is your main concern.

-ERD50
Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Here are a couple of articles that might be useful to this conversation:

Are There Soundbars I Can Use With My Receiver and TV? | Sound & Vision

Top Picks Soundbars and Home Theater in a Box | Sound & Vision
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:02 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My Vizio has a couple audio out ports but it is 8 years old. While we just use the tv speakers, we do use one of the audio out ports to power cordless headphones that we use at night since the living room is adjacent to the master bedroom and DW is a light sleeper and I am a night owl.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote