Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just what I wanted, thanks. But no digital stations in range for me (two vhf and one uhf).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Al,
I am thinking that this is the secret of Cable TV. When people move into a new house they think they have to call up the cable company to get service.

Maybe all that needs to be done is hook up the TV.
Sounds like the cable installer forgot to install a signal trap when they installed your cable modem, assuming you have a cable modem.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by segfault View Post
Sounds like the cable installer forgot to install a signal trap when they installed your cable modem, assuming you have a cable modem.
I don't have a cable modem - I just plugged in the WinTv into the cable outlet.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

A lot of times the cable company has forgotten to unplug the line or forgets (or is too lazy) to install a trap or filter for cable users.

Plugging in and using it is actually a crime, even if the cable company has failed to do their jobs and block the usage. The cable company folks can detect it although I suspect they're too lazy unless someone is a blatant chatty type...I've seen the tool the use and it shows how many splits and used taps exist on each drop. Quite a few have been successfully prosecuted for it.

Probably another one of those naked running across the road with a bag over your head things where it works out for you 99.5% of the time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Probably another one of those naked running across the road with a bag over your head things where it works out for you 99.5% of the time.
We had a similar situation with our cable lineup... we subscribed to "rock-bottom basic" and ended up with "one level higher standard".

It didn't seem worth selling our souls for free MTV & VH1, and I figured the consequences would be far more hassle than struggling with my ethics, but boy was I wrong. By the time I waded through the interactive voice-response (I know, oxymoronic) customer-service (oxymoronic again) menus and dealt with the "Oh sir I'm sure you're mistaken" condescension, we felt pretty justified in our "Hey, we tried" attitude.

Three years later most of our street's homes got a form letter stating "Due to a change in our equipment configuration, you may have inadvertently been receiving more cable channels than indicated for your level of service. We're realigning our system to improve its reliability while upgrading your features, and this is your chance to enhance your subscriber relationship by..."

In other words they turned their mistake in to a marketing opportunity. So even if you have a big flashing "FREE CABLE TV HERE!" neon sign in your driveway, you'll be viewed as just another potential customer.

I'm not looking forward to the digital switchover. Between our kid's Netflix habit and our spouse's broadcast preferences, though, maybe I can make a case for ditching the cable company. Or maybe they'll finally come up with ala carte subscriptions.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Or maybe they'll finally come up with ala carte subscriptions.
That will never happen in the USA due the the cable programmers (not cable providers) companies' economics.

ESPN, TBS, TNT etc can only afford their Sports contracts and entertainment because they are on the basic tier and are getting very good per month sub fees - TBS 80 cents/month; TNT 50 cents/month; CNN 45 cents/month or something like that.

Do you really think TBS is worth 11.20/year plus tax to you pay? Or if you don't watch sports ESPN worth paying for.

With Digital over the air people might just cancel their cable services. Remember that cable services came about so that people could get over the air signals or better reception.

In some countries you can choose just the channels you want. They have very advanced TV settop boxes.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

ESPN, TBS, TNT etc can only afford their Sports contracts and entertainment because they are on the basic tier and are getting very good per month sub fees - TBS 80 cents/month; TNT 50 cents/month; CNN 45 cents/month or something like that.
I have wondered whether ala carte will work. Right now we get piles of satellite channels, most of which we don't care about. If I had to chose, I guess I only want HGTV, CNBC, HBO, Comedy Central and G4 for Star Trek reruns.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You need a HDTV antenna, costs from $50-$100 depending on what you get. Mine sits on top of the entertainment console, and works fine.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is one Big Ugly Antenna!

We've been off Dish now for about 10 days. So far so good...