Join Early Retirement Today
TV on your computer?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
TV on your computer?

Thinking about dropping my Dish Network TV. My most watched programs are MSNBC, Link TV, FSTV, Comedy Central and Bill Maher Real Time when it's on. I can manage to get MSNBC, Link TV, and some FSTV on internet (though 2 days after the fact), but only clips from Jon Stewart show and Bill Maher (guess you can tell Iím Liberal)

If I wanted to watch any of these things and maintain my sanity (clips stop and hesitate every two seconds) I would have to go from my supposed 1.5 (LOL) DSL service at $27.95 mo. to Comcast 6 or 12 Mg. service for $60 a month. They only have 1.5 mg as second option, but that doesnít work well for video and besides they would still charge me $60 mo. as I donít have TV or phone service with them, and thatís how they structure it here. My DSL here where I live only has 1.5 mg available so I canít bump that up.

Local TV in my area is not too good. Nearest transmitter is over 20 miles away. Could get a few stations with a roof antenna and power booster, but I donít watch much local TV anyway.

I know they have video streaming web sites on the internet where you can get full shows I think (not just clips) but they are illegal I guess. Not interested in sit coms etc like you get on HULU, or watching Fox News. I subscribe to Netflix and can stream movies over internet to TV for $8.00 a month. Wish there was some way to get Bill Maher Real Time without the whole enchilada. Besides, I will be traveling West and be gone for about 4 to 5 months, so rather not have subscription service. Anyone know anything about internet video streaming or other ideas I havenít thought of?

modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #2

Try this site. Don't know about legal v. illegal.

Watch Online TV, Sports, News and Entertainment for FREE at Channelsurfing

mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Bill maher real time is available on iTunes for free
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Some more discussion here
Life without Cable and Still get all the TV & Movies you want.

You can get full John Stewart shows on (at least, the last time I looked)
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Thanks for the links. I have read through them. Unfortunately, ITunes only has Bill Maher in short clips from some previous shows available for free and I understand some audio podcasts. They now have full length shows available for $2.00 each, but they are old shows from last year and beyond. All the comments on site are from people asking them to put on current episodes, (not year old episodes) and they would be happy to pay for them. My sentiments also.

There are other shows that you can purchase for $2.00, but they are current.

Sure wish I could find a way to get it. Can manage all the other shows pretty much online, then say goodbye $120 satellite bill. Of course, I'd be paying an additional $30 mo for faster internet on cable, and no DVR or HD. Sure do like the DVR. Boy, it's hard to go back.

How fast should internet speed be to be able to live stream video smoothly on your PC. I know even 3 mg., stutters.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
I don't have any suggestions for you today, but I think this is the near future. It seems that people who provide content to cable companies would be very happy going around cable and streaming their stuff for a monthly fee. That becomes the "ala carte" cable that some of us would really like.

Independent is offline   Reply With Quote