Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

• I am going to buy an Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver, that much I know so far.
  • I will probably try my old existing speakers to see how they do before I buy speakers.
  • If I buy speakers, it will be front R & L, maybe center, but not rear speakers. Everyone tells me I HAVE TO HAVE 5.1, but I don't want the extra expense or wiring. I am in a small room and my hearing ain't what it used to be. I am sure a 2/2.1 or 3/3.1 system will be a huge step up from nothing.
  • I talked to a few people at work who aren't sure they like subwoofers, found them a little overwhelming, one guy took his back and the other guy leaves it off much of the time. So I'm on the fence on a subwoofer.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

you dont know what youre missing without a sub. especially music....there's some songs that have entire instruments you dont even hear properly/at all without a sub
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Nowaways, the trend is to use 5 small surround sound speakers for aesthetic reasons and ease of home decor. These puny speakers MUST be supplemented with a subwoofer.

However, if one retains the old 70 and 80 era speakers in big wood cabinets, then these 3-way or 4-way speakers have 12-inch woofers or even 15-in woofers in them. They pack a lot more punch than the newer little subwoofers, unless you talk about a subwoofer the size of a small refrigerator that not too many people buy these days.

PS. On the other hand, these old-style speakers may be lacking in the high end. I saw some with their mid-range and tweeter drivers deteriorated to the point the sound becomes muddy and dull.

It also occurred to me that the new 5.1 receivers may cut-off the bass going to the L/R front speakers, to prevent from blowing them out, and sends all the bass to the subwoofer. If so, using the larger and old-style speakers may not help getting the bass. Hmm... something for me to experiment with, if and when I get bored.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Look on Craigslist, six or seven months ago found a pair of Infinity Qb speakers (info @ Infinity Qb Speakers) in fine condition for a hundred bucks.. They are splendid speakers, though they need a good amp. I use these with a Technics SA-450. Yeah, I have a few systems.