Join Early Retirement Today

Re: TV sound volume.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Radio shack has a broad selection as well.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Sometimes I think we would be better off with the old TV single front 7 inch oval or round midrange speaker and mono sound. At least we could hear Wally and the Beaver talking.
I think you hit the jackpot. I prefer the plain old tv speakers vs. any of the surround sound systems friends and family have.

I can hear what people are saying (in the movie/tv show and in the room sitting next to me, if they happen to say something). No superloud explosions going off in random corners of the room. When I change the tv channel or switch input modes or turn the tv off, the sound acts like it's supposed to. I just have one remote. It doesn't take me 5 minutes of trial and error to get my system set up correctly or flip the right switches or configure input modes, etc. etc.

I just sit down, hit the "power" button on the remote, and I can see and hear the tv very well. Technology. Amazing.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I dont wanna see any beavers talking. Really.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

My cheapo all-in-one DVD/Receiver has an option in the audio setup for dynamic range compression. It's called DRC in the menu system and helps alleviate the problem you describe.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

commercials use audio compression which give them an apparent additional loudness...
Old 07-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc
The problem is, we humans perceive loudness based on the average volume, not the maximum volume. People who make commercials take advantage of this by compressing the dynamic range of their audio - making the quiet parts louder and the loud parts quieter - so the average volume of the commercial is as close to the peak volume as possible.
That makes sense. I also find the dynamic range in videos too large sometimes. It is annoying to have to move the volume up during dialogue in order to understand it, and then down during action sequences to avoid waking up a sleeping kid. And I don't have any kind of sound system, just the single speaker built into the TV box. When I rent a video, I often end up having to leave the sound too low to hear much of the dialogue, and rely on the subtitles to fill in the holes.

TV shows, news and documentaries seem to be flatter in range than movies, so not as much of a problem, though the commercials are still too loud.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
That makes sense. I also find the dynamic range in videos too large sometimes. It is annoying to have to move the volume up during dialogue in order to understand it, and then down during action sequences to avoid waking up a sleeping kid. And I don't have any kind of sound system, just the single speaker built into the TV box.
That's a common problem. The dynamic range compression JB mentioned is also called "night viewing" by some A/V receivers or DVD players. It makes the dialog louder and the explosions quieter, so you can understand the words and not wake up the kids/spouse/whatever in the next room. Haven't used it myself but that's the idea behind the feature...

SC
Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just had a REALLY bad instance with this last night with a movie over SKY satellite.. just using the regular stereo speakers of the relatively new TV.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 5 being "normal" -- i.e., the way you would hear it in real life):

The dialog was 1.5 and sounded like everyone was talking into down pillows.. Doors opening, background foreground music was 8, special effects 10.

There was no way to adjust it overall. Every 30 seconds I was yanking the volume from the lowest end of the scale to the highest and we still missed 1/4 the dialogue. *It was very very unpleasant.

Chalk me up as another person wondering why, if all the technology is better and better, is my user experience worse and worse?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #29

Well I'm glad to hear (pun intended) that I'm not the only one who thinks that their hearing is fine and current audio engineers do a very crappy job.* It's often hard for me to believe that a univeral problem continues year after year without someone recognizing it, and inventing a decent fix (and becoming rich at the same time).* *I'll look into dynamic range compression as a solution.* I've tried some of the other supposed fixes (smart sound; remote wireless headphones; switching to stereo / mono; etc.), but all those solutions were just marginally better or cumbersome.* *In the meantime I've become totally dependant on TiVo and closed captions.