Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #21

I use Facebook, not Twitter. I follow the antics of my friends and relatives, and follow a lot of woodworking and photography sites. I very seldom post.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Social media to me is the new television, "chewing gum for the mind", as Brian Tracy would say. The best way to be mediocre is to embrace the fad of the day without having given conscious thought to its utility. This is not meant in any way to be a judgment, and if that's the way you want to live your life, by all means go for it.

Personally, I haven't found a single better way to improve, enhance and expand my qualitative and quantitative life than to read the best non-fiction books I can find. Charlie Munger, for example, has said his children chide him regarding how much he reads, calling him a book with two legs. He states he and Warren Buffet spend something like 70% of their time reading, which contributes a great deal to their success.

I also read blogs, commentary, and anything from the smartest people I can find, wishing to adopt their success habits (successful habits in business can almost always be extrapolated to success in life--see anything by Benjamin Franklin). Time wasted on social media isn't one of those habits (their social media accounts, if they have them, are for business purposes, and are usually maintained by professional PR people or something similar).

Old 07-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Twitter and Facebook Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Social media to me is the new television, "chewing gum for the mind", as Brian Tracy would say. The best way to be mediocre is to embrace the fad of the day without having given conscious thought to its utility. This is not meant in any way to be a judgment, and if that's the way you want to live your life, by all means go for it.

Personally, I haven't found a single better way to improve, enhance and expand my qualitative and quantitative life than to read the best non-fiction books I can find. Charlie Munger, for example, has said his children chide him regarding how much he reads, calling him a book with two legs. He states he and Warren Buffet spend something like 70% of their time reading, which contributes a great deal to their success.

I also read blogs, commentary, and anything from the smartest people I can find, wishing to adopt their success habits (successful habits in business can almost always be extrapolated to success in life--see anything by Benjamin Franklin). Time wasted on social media isn't one of those habits (their social media accounts, if they have them, are for business purposes, and are usually maintained by professional PR people or something similar).

Definitely a lot of chewing gum, or some other substance that one hates to have on their shoe...

However, with a ruthless eye to culling the "dead branches", they (social media) can be reasonably useful tools. I discover new music, find interesting things to read, explore new ideas, get varying opinions. Again, though, the BS must be kicked to the curb, early and often.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

People still use thefacebook.com? lol

I ditched that train wreck 7 years ago. Havent been back since. What a waste. I dont have a twitter account but will look up some accounts once or twice a week.

I prefer twitter over facebook. It was really neat in facebook getting bombarded with posts about someone farming their crops and raising purple chickens. Boy that facebook sure is good for the human race.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #25

I don't use Twitter. I set up an account years ago, but I just don't "get it." Haven't invested much effort either.

I use Facebook, mainly to keep up with extended family that I don't see very often. I love watching all the kids grow up, just like I was there on a daily basis. Also like staying in touch with a few really close friends from high school and college. Without Facebook, they would likely be distant fading memories. I get lots of friend requests that I ignore, mostly friends of friends from high school. I keep it very small, very private, and very secure. All but a small handful of my friends do the same, so I rarely see the negative political ranting that people often talk about. I'll do a status post maybe once per month, but I interact via comments and "likes" at least a couple times per week.

I don't see this as "chewing gum for the mind" unless you let yourself get sucked into the muck, which is quite simple to avoid. There's no reason I can't read great non-fiction books AND use the latest technology to keep up with distant family and friends.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I don't use Facebook anymore. I found that too much crap gets shoved in your face trying to use it. When I need updates on family or friends, I just call people and speak with them directly or go see them in person. Seems to work just fine.

I don't use Twitter either. I really don't see much purpose in it. Maybe that's why it has stalled in user growth worldwide and it's stock price is heading lower and lower. I can get news "anytime", especially when I look at my phone or computer. Or if I really want to be punished, I can turn on CNN.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #27

One thing about Facebook bothers me. I use it on occasion to see photos posted by my children, and only log in using the browser "privacy mode" because I know FB tracks forever. Nonetheless, someone with whom I have had only one contact, via Skype over a year ago, is now suggested by FB as a potential new friend, and there is no other common connection. I'm not overly concerned about online privacy, but this leaves me scratching my head, wondering how FB built the connection, and somewhat distrustful.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
I use FB quite a bit. Learned early on how to set the privacy settings so that nobody can post to my wall except in response to something I've already posted. Only friends can see my posts. No game requests, either. And nobody can find my account via a google search. There are more and they're worth looking at.

I originally got on there to keep track of my extended family to know what's going on in their lives, etc. I've kept accepting friend requests from coworkers, former high school friends, etc. at a minimum. I'm not interested in political discourse on my facebook page and will hide or unfriend people if they start that.
Also, limit the conversations to groups...those don't go public like individual replies *might (depending on your security).

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #29

I use FB but not Twitter. I have friends, former coworkers and relatives all over the place and I enjoy keeping in touch with them. DH and I have also become Keepers of the Family Photos because DH has digitized decades of family photos from hard copy or slides. While I've sent out many copies of them on thumb drives and made up a few slide shows, I also post them on FB and people love them. Someone always brings up stories or details I'd forgotten. My nieces and nephews love seeing pictures of their parents as children and my younger cousins enjoy seeing pics of our grandparents whom they don't remember as well as I do.

My FB connections are all over the spectrum: devout Roman Catholics who believe everything the Pope says, the unchurched, atheists, Hindus, married gay people, clergy (the last 2 groups not mutually exclusive!) so I try to stay out of political and religious discussion and keep it tactful when I do. I've disconnected from only two people: one did nothing but repost fat-laden recipes I wouldn't allow in the house let alone my stomach, and another who was incapable of thoughtful, logical discussions.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Some friends and relatives that post too much day to day stuff (what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner...you get the idea), have a potty mouth, or too much politics, I've moved them as an "acquaintance" in FB. I don't drop them totally as I still sometimes see what they are up to, but at the same time like some control over my feed instead.

I also set up the "tags" so they need my pre-approval before going to my timeline as I have a brother who goes tag crazy.
I probably spend 5 minutes per day on Facebook, just to keep informed about what my friends/relatives are up to. The signal to noise ratio has gotten pretty bad though. A lot of my relatives post too much of the simplistic, dimwitted internet political stuff. I'm pretty interested in politics in general, and like thoughtful posts on the subject (or links to well-thought-out articles). However, I don't need them to share the stupid sound bite of the day 3-4 times per week.

For a while I would engage with them, but I think I have finally learned that there is no point. Few people are truly interested in exchanging ideas, and even fewer of those have many non-obvious ideas to share.

I find that I enjoy exchanging ideas with people on some message boards I frequent (including this one, although obviously directly discussing politics is discouraged here) a lot more than with my Facebook friends.

So thanks everyone for being more thoughtful on most subjects that my Facebook friends
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #31

When we have weather related road closures or anything "up to the minute" that I need to know, Twitter is the first place I go. By subscribing to local weather, law enforcement, and news programs, I can quickly find out whatever I need to know, in the fewest words possible. That is the primary utility of it for me. Otherwise, I never open the app.

FB is fine, as long as you tune it to get the actual info you want, and I'm pretty free with the unfollow, hide, and privacy features they offer.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #32

I do not Facebook. I don't really want to take the time. DW does for sharing with friends and family, and for entertainment. I am on Twitter, but mainly for posts of interesting internet content from the people I follow, not to read or write short quips.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #33

I Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat and Instagram. I use Twitter for breaking news (way too many instances of that lately) and FB & Instagram to keep up with my kids and distant family & friends. I maybe spend an hour a day on all of the above.

I really like Twitter when watching something like 60 Minutes or 48 Hours. That little #hashtag in the bottom corner gets you into a conversation with others around the world watching the same thing you are. I've had some pretty illuminating conversations.

All of the above were made just for an introvert like me.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #34

About ten years ago now, mainstream media companies, of which there are only six now, began salivating at the thought of using social media to "reach" and "influence" (read: sell). I would never use social media in any form as an information source/aggregator. All mainstream media is beholden to advertisers, and virtually all that is "pushed" out regardless of form is designed to "get eyeballs" (read: sell).

Only about 5% of information is signal, with 95% representing noise. Secondary motives go hand in hand with much "information" that is produced today, resulting in misinformation, disinformation, and infojunk (my word for information designed to appear useful but in fact be useless). Screen with great care (if you care, that is). I believe a strong reason contributing to the trust placed in this and the BH site is that moderators do an excellent job of screening out these motives.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I've noticed among my nieces and nephews (30's) a trend to try to present their lives on Facebook as perfect and showcase themselves as ideal parents.

Tiresome.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #36

On twitter I follow a couple of accounts that give me good info: The City Clerk (lots of stuff on local issues, council dockets, etc.). ThePointsGuy - one of the fastest ways to learn of airline deals.

I've grudgingly joined facebook - just so I can stalk follow my teenage kids and make sure they're being appropriate. I also have an instagram account for the same reason.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #37

I'm on both. I use Twitter but never tweet. However I get a lot out of following different political pundits, financial traders/investors. If they don't say interesting things themselves they link to interesting articles or retweet other people. Using tweetdeck I sort the most interesting into lists such as Politics, Finance, Local info etc. if ur a political junkie like me it's fascinating to read the real time conversations between different political strategists regarding the RNC convention going on right now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
About ten years ago now, mainstream media companies, of which there are only six now, began salivating at the thought of using social media to "reach" and "influence" (read: sell). I would never use social media in any form as an information source/aggregator. All mainstream media is beholden to advertisers, and virtually all that is "pushed" out regardless of form is designed to "get eyeballs" (read: sell).

Only about 5% of information is signal, with 95% representing noise. Secondary motives go hand in hand with much "information" that is produced today, resulting in misinformation, disinformation, and infojunk (my word for information designed to appear useful but in fact be useless). Screen with great care (if you care, that is). I believe a strong reason contributing to the trust placed in this and the BH site is that moderators do an excellent job of screening out these motives.

This x1000!

I do have a Facebook account, but have less than 100 friends. It is used to keep up with the folks I served with in the Air Force and if not for Facebook, I would not keep in touch with them. I have employed the strictest privacy settings available (such as only friends of friends can even send me a friend request). If someone I don't know (or more importantly don't like) sends a friend request, I don't deny it...I let it sit (a friend purgatory, if you will). I also don't use my first name (initial only) and it has it's own email account (through my domain) to keep it from linking with other accounts. I have no pictures, no info, no real nothing on there. I really would like to delete it, but the AF folks are keeping me around for now.

I check the account no more than once per week. Otherwise, it turns into a big time waster and I get frustrated at all the political crap that people just HAVE to share.

Here's how my current page looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB.jpg (78.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
but this leaves me scratching my head, wondering how FB built the connection, and somewhat distrustful.
Yes FB seems to generate fake friend requests from any contact we have made that FB discovers.

Also get ads for things I have searched on amazon (and bought off craigslist).
Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #40

I use Facebook and it has allowed me to reconnect with old friends that I had lost contact with after college. Never used Twitter.