Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I probably spend 5 minutes per day on Facebook, just to keep informed about what my friends/relatives are up to. The signal to noise ratio has gotten pretty bad though. A lot of my relatives post too much of the simplistic, dimwitted internet political stuff. I'm pretty interested in politics in general, and like thoughtful posts on the subject (or links to well-thought-out articles). However, I don't need them to share the stupid sound bite of the day 3-4 times per week.
+1

It puzzles me how otherwise "normal" people post so much divisive, over-the-top political garbage on FB. Do they actually think their FB friends want to see that stuff or that they appreciate it on any level? Just makes no sense.

I don't use Twitter but do have an Instagram account where I follow various friends and also some other stuff I'm interested in. It's nice to occasionally see some "behind the scenes" photos of interesting people or events that you otherwise wouldn't get to see without Instagram. Instagram is also a convenient way to create a real-time photo blog (so to speak) of your travels. Kind of a neat way for friends and family to stay up to date on your travel adventures, IMHO.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For some reason, my FB friends (mainly relatives, but not all) love seeing what other people are eating and drinking. I get more likes for posting a photo of a cheesecake I just baked, or a pitcher of sangria, than for almost anything except a selfie (people love those, too).

People also seem to love weather announcements. I have relatives who are drama queens about the weather - there is always some Terrible Storm threatening their houses - and the funny thing is, they are just as interested in my weather.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Some friends and relatives that post too much day to day stuff (what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner...you get the idea),.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Facebook has been working well for us for what we want from it. Mainly used to keep up with our naturalist buddies and parks in selected FB groups. Neighborhood and some family.

Recently KLM helped me process a refund via their "KLM Facebook Team". That was an interesting option to have - the only online support I could find, but it worked!

I work pretty hard to remove political stuff from our feed and it stays somewhat clean. DH avoids the feed and just goes for FB pages of interest which are all news/family free.

We were careful to not allow other people to post to our FB feed, and only allow friends of friends to request friendship and allow friends to comment on our page. This lets us control what appears on our FB page. Some peoples pages really get messed up.

Some people's FB pages seem to consist only of sharing posts they found elsewhere on FB!

Oh and I absolutely REFUSE to pass on posts that solicit sharing - especially the manipulative ones. Kind of a nasty reminder of those horrid chain,enters of my youth.

Twitter? Gaggh!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I have zero interest in Twitter. from what little I have seen of it from seeing friends access their accounts, or Twitter "feeds" posted on websites (my church website does this even so guess I'm already old and not with it at 55), it's too shallow or misleading for me to waste time on it. Also, I'm too introverted to care about 'following' anyone. I do have a FB account but dont remember, or care, how to access it. Got it on a whim when other family members were in contact with newly discovered relatives oversea. I was much more happy to visit them in person, or call, which we have done. Mainly was posting photos, and did we all always really look forward to those family photo albums at parties back in the day?........um ....no. If its your own grandchildren of course that is way different Security is an issue too for me as others have discussed. Reading books (I'm very much interested right now in the details of my dad's and uncles WW II battle experiences. Reading about the places and events they all shared a bit about while they were alive is very interesting to me.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

One good use I can think of is this: I do have one Church acquaintance who is in very ill health and concerned about his appearance, so he is a shut in. He likes FB a lot, that and video games plus a bit of e-mail are about his life at this point. Save for a few of us who he accepts visits from.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Some people's FB pages seem to consist only of sharing posts they found elsewhere on FB!

Oh and I absolutely REFUSE to pass on posts that solicit sharing - especially the manipulative ones. Kind of a nasty reminder of those horrid chain,enters of my youth.

Yeah, that first paragraph would be my SIL. Re-posts of puppies, kitties and flowers.

And I'm the heartless (rhymes with rich) who NEVER re-posts or Likes pictures of sick kids, statements about how I love my (kids, grandkids, cousins), statements of support for our armed forces, the police, etc.

I suspect many are pages made up to generate high traffic that are then sold for their potential ad revenue.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Serious question.
I expect that I'm missing a lot
Your thoughts... and reasoning....
I ignore Facebook and don't think I'm missing a bit. DW uses it a little and a couple of times a year shows me a "cute" baby picture or other family thing. So if anything really important flows through there I'm covered.

Otherwise, it's just people chattering about thing I don't really care about.

If you want to dip your toe in there, go for it, but I personally don't think you're missing anything.

There are plenty of other places to be entertained on the internet...
Old 07-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #48

No twitter, no facebook. Just hobby & special interest forums (like this one) for me.

I leave my cell at home unless I'm out of town.

I'm retired. There is absolutely, positively nothing that can't wait until tomorrow -
Old 07-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
The best way to be mediocre is to embrace the fad of the day without having given conscious thought to its utility. This is not meant in any way to be a judgment, and if that's the way you want to live your life, by all means go for it.
Thanks for my first chuckle of the day, while drinking my morning cuppa! Nothing like a good non-judgemental statement to start the day. Hey - if anyone wants to be mediocre, don't let me stop them
Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #50

After using one of Options' posts for a bit of a chuckle, I guess I should make a good faith contribution to the thread. I think all social media has it's uses, and it depends how they are used.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was using Facebook mainly to interact with people who I know or have known personally. There were a few people in there who I have not met, but with whom I share common interests, but the overwhelming majority are folk who I actually know "in real life". With a few exceptions, they all have largely the same political views and outlook on the world. Not sure how I pulled that off, but it has helped to make FB a harmonious place for me. However, with all the current political divisiveness both in the US and abroad, even the folk who have similar views to me have been bugging me with their regular political rants. The well-informed ones weren't so bad, but the simplistic ones (often from intelligent people) were a bit much. Added to the fact that I haven't seen a lot of my FB connections in a long time, and it was all adding up to a lot of information that didn't feel relevant, so I deactivated the account and took a break. It's been 2 or 3 weeks now and I haven't missed it, though it was fun for the 7 years that it lasted. However, I did start a new account, in the name of one of my former cats. I only have 2 friends on that account, and use it mainly to join groups and read news and info from the various sources there.

Twitter has been my biggest surprise. For a service with a rather diminutive name, until I began using it, I wrote it off as a place where nothing of substance would take place, and no real connections would be forged. To the contrary, I have found it to be a very useful tool. My account is strictly for my ham radio and shortwave listening activities and, in particular, my interests in low power (QRP) operation and building my own gear. In sharp contrast to FB, I know almost none of my Twitter contacts in real life, but use it regularly to exchange ideas. You'd be surprised how much of substance you can communicate in 140 characters and when more is required, there is no character limit on direct messages. I often use it to exchange ideas on circuits, and the progress of homebuilding projects, with other hams, as well as the occasional signal report when my ham friends check into nets and they aren't able to hear me on the air (we're experiencing really poor propagation conditions at the moment).

I haven't found a use for Pinterest or Snapchat, and Instagram doesn't really do it for me either, but they all have their happy users. I had big hopes for Google+ but, for some reason, it doesn't really light my candle. Ello and a thousand other services came in with big fanfares, only to never really fulfill their fantasies.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Thanks for my first chuckle of the day, while drinking my morning cuppa! Nothing like a good non-judgemental statement to start the day. Hey - if anyone wants to be mediocre, don't let me stop them
Let me state that differently. People who perform at a high level in any aspect of their lives think different things and do different things than the majority of people.

Your money is your time is your life. Like all things in life, how you spend any of these is a choice.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #52

Quote:
After using one of Options' posts for a bit of a chuckle, I guess I should make a good faith contribution to the thread. I think all social media has it's uses, and it depends how they are used.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I was using Facebook mainly to interact with people who I know or have known personally. There were a few people in there who I have not met, but with whom I share common interests, but the overwhelming majority are folk who I actually know "in real life". With a few exceptions, they all have largely the same political views and outlook on the world. Not sure how I pulled that off, but it has helped to make FB a harmonious place for me. However, with all the current political divisiveness both in the US and abroad, even the folk who have similar views to me have been bugging me with their regular political rants.
I solved this problem by putting all those friends who like to post political comments in the acquaintances bucket. There is a post count there of my acquaintances, but I don't have to see their comments (or worse the comments of the friends/friends of friends) in my news feed.

I don't use FB for much - mostly for corresponding in closed groups where the conversation generally stays on topic.

Rita
Old 07-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if these now popular social media businesses will all eventually go the way of My Space, which was a lot of fun until it became more of a job than a tool.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #54

I use FB so I can be a smart ass and post stuff that makes me smile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YxGRT-cmt_XrnOBXiMt5DcPWu22do4uLXu6TEUI9WCA.jpg (197.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Let me state that differently. People who perform at a high level in any aspect of their lives think different things and do different things than the majority of people.
Agreed. I was just drawing some humor from the wording in your earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I wonder if these now popular social media businesses will all eventually go the way of My Space, which was a lot of fun until it became more of a job than a tool.
MySpace certainly did have it's heyday, until News Corp bought it and ran it into the ground. It was particularly popular with musicians, who found it a good way to promote their music. At several times throughout the last few years, I have wondered if FB has finally jumped the shark. All of my musings seem to have been premature, though one would think it has to begin to decline at some point.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #56

Facebook is all about proximity/relationship. People you've actually met (usually), family, classmates, etc. This means that on any given topic you will have nothing in common with half or more of them. The vast majority of my family/friends do not share my views on religion or politics or finance/retirement. And it would be rude to unfriend family!

Twitter, OTOH, tends to be more about shared interests. I can follow people who share my views on religion or politics or finance/retirement and we can have meaningful conversations, or at least share items of interest and/or education.

So FB for family pics and lighthearted things, Twitter for more serious things. IMHO...
Old 07-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #57

No facebook or twitter for me. This forum and a couple of others are plenty for someone more into outdoor/physical activities (than internet time).
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Facebook is all about proximity/relationship. People you've actually met (usually), family, classmates, etc. This means that on any given topic you will have nothing in common with half or more of them. The vast majority of my family/friends do not share my views on religion or politics or finance/retirement. And it would be rude to unfriend family!

Twitter, OTOH, tends to be more about shared interests. I can follow people who share my views on religion or politics or finance/retirement and we can have meaningful conversations, or at least share items of interest and/or education.

So FB for family pics and lighthearted things, Twitter for more serious things. IMHO...
Facebook does shared interests well. That's what Facebook groups are for. That's what we use most.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #59

I use Twitter for all my news. They serve up links as well as the short messages so you see stories as they break in full form. I follow CNN, BBC and other news outlets. I also follow wineries I like, travel blogs I learn from and athletes that I enjoy. I rarely post anything.
FB is just to keep up with friends and old friends. I was able to reconnect with all my old neighborhood buddies. For that alone, I think it is valuable.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey - if anyone wants to be mediocre, don't let me stop them
The bell curve made/makes me look smarter than I am...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote