Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Being a Canuck, I have been amazed at how emotional my Democrat friends have become in recent days on social media. No one changes their mind based on social media (or the Internet). Yet it seems to be their main outlet...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Being a Canuck, I have been amazed at how emotional my Democrat friends have become in recent days on social media. No one changes their mind based on social media (or the Internet). Yet it seems to be their main outlet...
Democrats talk. Conservatives are pretty quiet. At least on my FB feed. Not sure what that means.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use twitter a lot, but mainly to follow athletes in sports that I follow. They often have interesting "back stage" pictures and it's a good way to get updates on events I'm attending.

I'll also follow news sources that aren't as likely to show up on the major news shows, or to get local events in towns from certain towns/schools. One local magazine has good updates on community events.

There are some feeds that regularly have beautiful pictures of the national parks or animals, or other things that brighten my day.

I rarely use it to post anything (other than some thanks or questions), but I find it a good way to gather a lot of disparate information quickly.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Democrats talk. Conservatives are pretty quiet. At least on my FB feed. Not sure what that means.

I find that neither will stfu...

I suppose if there were serious discussions, involving research, data, carefully crafted arguments, etc., I might be interested. Nonsensical spew, not so much. :-P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #65

For my wiring, twitter works much better. As I find folks who post funny and meaningful things, I follow. It's a diversion from all the serious stuff. Facebook is a substitute for TV, and consumes too much time, so I avoid it. Once a month I check in and see what pictures close family have posted.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For some reason, my FB friends (mainly relatives, but not all) love seeing what other people are eating and drinking. I get more likes for posting a photo of a cheesecake I just baked, or a pitcher of sangria, than for almost anything except a selfie (people love those, too).

People also seem to love weather announcements. I have relatives who are drama queens about the weather - there is always some Terrible Storm threatening their houses - and the funny thing is, they are just as interested in my weather.

Amethyst
I gave up on FB pretty quickly as so many folks post such drivel or are so excited by the most boring stuff, or they use it to try to impress everyone that they took a vacation somewhere and are perfect.

The other issue is often anything posted is a simple broadcast to the world, not something they are telling you specifically that they think you would like to know, often I'm not interested.

I do have many FB accounts, which just goes to show if you get friended by someone, it may really be stranger danger.. Which is another reason I don't like it.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been on FB for several years. Use it now as a means to keep up with my far flung family, but I don't post much anymore. I also use it to keep up communication with some former colleagues, taking advantage of their instant messaging app. Most recently I've used FB more for some photography-oriented groups related to some software I am now using (Aurora HDR and MacPhun Creative Kit). I have privacy set so that only friends can see my posts.

I don't use Twitter other than to follow posts by some journalists and to keep up with breaking news once in a while. A few years ago when we were overseas, the Boston Marathon bombing took place just below my office. Twitter was a good way to quickly get a sense of what was going on when there was so much chaos in the immediate aftermath.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #68

The oboe player in one of my bands saw a Facebook post about a new teaching position at my son's high school. She shared it with me and I with DS. If he had bothered to open Facebook he would have seen it the day before. So, if he gets the job (1%) chance probably, he can definitely credit FB. I don't get Twitter, and have not bothered with the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #69

Well, I have cut ties with Facebook. It's a long, drawn out story...but bottom line, most of the stuff posted on there was bumming me out. No good news, all political, arguments...just very little that added anything to my life. When I looked at my friends list (104 total), I counted how many that I would truly miss if I never talked to them again. The total? Eight. Yep, that's right...just eight. So, last week, I posted a "I'm out" message with my email and left it up for 24 hours. Then...deleted the account. I didn't deactivate it. I deleted it.

I will admit the first couple of days were a bit of a challenge...what were my "friends" saying about X and Y? What was I missing out on? What if something BIG happened? Then, I thought back over the last couple of months about something that might be deemed BIG NEWS! on Facebook....there were NONE. The realization of how unhealthy that line of thinking is to me was a painful slap to my face. So, I am now Facebook free and already feel better about. Oh yes, I got three whole emails from "friends" who wanted to stay in touch. Three. Either I don't have many friends or those that I am closest to, I already have actual relationships with and Facebook was pretty useless in that sense.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #70

I think the mistake some people make when evaluating the worth of online "friends" to them, is thinking that these interactions are supposed, in any way, to somehow replace (even partially) real relationships. They don't, although they can augment them, in a similar way to that in which the telephone does.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
No good news, all political, arguments...just very little that added anything to my life.
I had a similar experience. Towards the end of my FB odyssey, I was even getting annoyed by the political posts from people who had almost exactly the same outlook and views as me!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I find that neither will stfu...
Thats true and exactly how each party plays to their base and is a good means to solicit campaign contributions.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I had a similar experience. Towards the end of my FB odyssey, I was even getting annoyed by the political posts from people who had almost exactly the same outlook and views as me!
Exactly, I recently unfollowed several groups that I did enjoy. They exercise no control over what is posted and it got stupid listening to 30 off topic rants daily.