Join Early Retirement Today

Twitter Experience Like ER-Forum Experience?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Twitter Experience Like ER-Forum Experience?

As the launch of my next book approaches, I'm ramping up my gentle, non-spammy twitter marketing.

Here on the ER Forum, I've gotten to know people and v.v. I get a lot of good advice and share some of my stuff. It's a real community.

Some people report a similar feeling for twitter. I must be doing it wrong, because for me, it's nothing like the experience here. The only person I've connected with is an elderly Norwegian woman living in Canada.

If your twitter experience is anything like the ER Forum experience, could you explain how it works for you?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

what's twitter?
Old 03-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

How can you achieve meaningful discussions while keeping it under 140 characters? Without meaningful discussions, I don't think you can really have a true community.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Good point. I learned that the 140 char restriction is related to a technical restriction when twitter was started, and never intended for

Oops--ran out of characters.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
How can you achieve meaningful discussions while keeping it under 140 characters? Without meaningful discussions, I don't think you can really have a true community.
That's apparently plenty for internet memes though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was on twitter right after it very first started, but after a year or so I couldn't think of anybody to follow and the only people besides relatives that wanted to follow me were accounts with photos of very attractive Russian women. My scam alert went off and I cancelled my account. Of course since then twitter became the big place for marketing entertainment personalities, companies, and politicians. But I have never signed back up.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
We decide matters of global and national import based on tweet-sized buzzphrases and 30 second sound bites. What does "community" or "meaningful discussions" have to do with anything?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Good point. I learned that the 140 char restriction is related to a technical restriction when twitter was started, and never intended for

Oops--ran out of characters.
I think the limit is because Twitter messaging was originally based on Short Message Service.
Short Message Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

I think the difference is that you're trying to create a community around you (or your book) on twitter, while at er.org, you're participating in a community that's already well established - and has many many people sharing the same goal. What you're trying to accomplish is obviously much harder and will take time.

A writer friend of mine seems to have found her "community" on twitter, but it started offline - a group of writers meet to write together, discuss writing & the business. This group formed the core of her original followers (and people she followed) and slowly grew from there. While not large, she gets a lot of encouragement from them. She also actively participates in the "communities" of her followers.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I've learned: You can filter the tweets by subscribing to lists. So for example you could find a list via Google, like this:

site:twitter.com inurl:lists early-retirement

When you choose a list, you will see tweets only from people listed on that list. Or you could create a list with only 30 of your friends, for example. Thus, you could have a group conversation.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

T-Al, I use twitter as part of my blog's social media. I like facebook much better. The 140 character limit is a little restrictive and I feel like I don't get the notifications all the time.

That being said, check into social media management tools like hootsuite, ifttt, and buffer. You can automate some stuff and have a social media presence without a lot of effort.