Two Months with an Electric Car

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's a quick report on our first two months with our Nissan LEAF, model S.

It's been great fun. We used to go to town (thirty miles away) only once a week, but now we're often finding excuses to go. We have enough juice to drive in, do errands, and drive home, but we almost always plug in somewhere.

There's something fun about charging and killing time. For example, we'll plug in at the free CalTrans charger, then go have coffee, lunch, and pick up some stuff.

The most fun is driving beyond your range--needing to get a charge if you want to make it home. Today we went on a 113-mile trip. We parked at a charging station in downtown Fortuna, walked through a big car show, then walked to a Starbucks three miles away. I did some writing and Lena knitted. After lunch, we drove to Ferndale to try a new charger, and visited some touristy shops.

The "range-remaining" "Guess-o-meter" is terrible because it bases its estimate on only the last mile or so of driving. So, if you're driving at thirty MPH, it might say you have fifty miles left, but when you get on the the feeway, all of a sudden you're down to twenty. Instead, I've created a cheat sheet that estimates range based on the state of charge and our standard efficiency (3.9 miles per kWh).

For fun, I pushed it to the limit on one trip, and it was not fun. A few miles from home the GOM threw up its hands and said "I don't know how much farther you can drive. You're on your own." That is, it displayed the miles remaining as "--." I'll never do that again.

We rarely have to charge at home during the day when the rate is higher, but we've done it a few times because it's still cheaper than buying gas.

We've only used the truck twice--once for a trip to Oregon and once when we both needed a car.

The car is really smooth and quiet--a pleasure to drive.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new ride, but you're going to have to explain to me...

The most fun is driving beyond your range--needing to get a charge if you want to make it home.

what makes that 'fun'? Driving an ICE on empty is a little nerve racking, better to have plenty of reserve at all times. And assuming you stay close enough to a gas station to pull into, a refill only takes a few minutes, not hours.

-ERD50

Here's a quick report on our first two months with our Nissan LEAF, model S.

The most fun is driving beyond your range--needing to get a charge if you want to make it home. Today we went on a 113-mile trip. We parked at a charging station in downtown Fortuna, then walked to a Starbucks three miles away.

Not normal?:facepalm:

What is the plan if you run out of juice on the road? Flat bed truck or do they have some kind of portable charger? I'm interested in LEAFs so am interested in your post.

If getting home depends on the availability of a charging station, what happens if they are all occupied when you arrive? It's not like having to wait 2 minutes while the guy in front fills his gas tank, and it's not like there's another charging station on every corner.

Anyway, I'm glad the little car is bringing joy.

Living on the wild side!

I worked with a guy who thought it great fun to see how low he could go on fuel before gassing up. He loved timing it so that his engine died of fuel starvation and he coasted to the pumps. :nonono:

Pretty sure there was a Seinfeld episode like this.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new ride, but you're going to have to explain to me...

The most fun is driving beyond your range--needing to get a charge if you want to make it home.

what makes that 'fun'? Driving an ICE on empty is a little nerve racking, better to have plenty of reserve at all times. And assuming you stay close enough to a gas station to pull into, a refill only takes a few minutes, not hours.

-ERD50

Sarcasm, maybe?

In the distant past, I made several trips per year between the "midwest" and Texas, because my son lived "up north". On one trip back north, with two kids in the car, I passed an exit with a gas station on I-40 east of Memphis, which is sparsely populated, thinking I was okay. Well, I was running on fumes before the next exit. So, late at night, middle of nowhere, two kids? Could have been a major fu, er, faux pax!

I rarely get below a quarter tank these days.

While I am in immense admiration for the OP and dedication to the environment. I cannot for the life of me understand WHY anyone would drive an electric car or a hybrid commuter car. (Tesla and other sporty style electrics notwithstanding).

My friend has/had a Prius, when he saw what my Diesel BMW did to the Gallon for almost the same cost, he sold it and purchased one too. (NE Florida to Toronto Canada, averaged 70mph and 50.5mpg) with no limitations other than gas stations. But at 750 miles to a tank full, I would not consider that an impediment.

Even our last diesel, a Mercedes E350D did 46mpg on the highway.

Now saying that, I also have a friend with a Tesla Model S Sport and it is the fastest car I have ever driven. It has a 250 mile range.

Last edited:
You are nuts, T-Al. That sounds scary as hell. I'm stickin with my hybrid. I don't want to run out of juice and have to tow that sucker home.

Give it up T-Al. There is no way this group is going to accept the fact that you are happy with your electric car. It would just hurt too much.

One thing to keep in mind Al is that the Leaf battery does not have an active cooling system and relies on air passing over it to cool it. You must be very careful in hot weather to make sure your battery life meter has is left with plenty of buffer to get you to a charging station.

From what I have read, battery degradation is is common with the Leaf due to no active thermal management system. This is one of the reasons way these cars hit the used market frequently and are priced low.

I'm glad you like it, but caution you on the battery issue in hot weather.

While I am in immense admiration for the OP and dedication to the environment. I cannot for the life of me understand WHY anyone would drive an electric car or a hybrid commuter car. (Tesla and other sporty style electrics notwithstanding).

My friend has/had a Prius, when he saw what my Diesel BMW did to the Gallon for almost the same cost, he sold it and purchased one too. (NE Florida to Toronto Canada, averaged 70mph and 50.5mpg) with no limitations other than gas stations. But at 750 miles to a tank full, I would not consider that an impediment.

Even our last diesel, a Mercedes E350D did 46mpg on the highway.

Now saying that, I also have a friend with a Tesla Model S Sport and it is the fastest car I have ever driven. It has a 250 mile range.

But my Prius was $25k new...

Give it up T-Al. There is no way this group is going to accept the fact that you are happy with your electric car. It would just hurt too much.

Maybe T-Al is happy, or maybe it's a simple case of green smugness... :D

AL,
I get this. A toy with function. Gets you into town extra time each week. Time for sbux too. Sounds like a shared passion with more fun time with the boss.

AL,
I get this. A toy with function. Gets you into town extra time each week. Time for sbux too. Sounds like a shared passion with more fun time with the boss.

Sounds great - unless you have a spouse who has a problem with impulse spending. All that spare time surrounded by retail establishments can be hazardous to your financial well being.

Sounds great - unless you have a spouse who has a problem with impulse spending. All that spare time surrounded by retail establishments can be hazardous to your financial well being.

I totally agree. AL needs another column in his comparison sheet. Take time spent charging in town times $100 per hour and factor that into the effective cost of electric car.

LOL, with hybrid or gas vehicle you stop at some convenience store for 10 minutes, buy a stale sandwich, and fill up with the smelly stuff in tank.

On a serious note, I happened to be on way to gas station yesterday, and saw the "--" readout that AL referred to. It really disoriented me. It may have indicated something less than 25 miles to go, then went to dash-dash. Oh my...

I'm not sure what the term is for a post like this. It's fairly common to see, the poster says something to make the other posts sound negative, when there is no evidence of that. Here's what people said:

Anyway, I'm glad the little car is bringing joy.

I'm interested in LEAFs so am interested in your post.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new ride,

That doesn't sound like anyone is not accepting his joy with the new car to me. But the line about it being 'fun' to come close to not making it home seemed odd enough to draw lots of comments.

While I am in immense admiration for the OP and dedication to the environment. ...

OK, you really don't want to get me started on exposing this myth again, do you? Short version - the marginal added electrical power generated to charge EVs will be worse for the environment than a decent hybrid running only on gasoline. Average grid power isn't the right measure, if a grid has only X% renewables, they are already all used up (or they would report number higher than X!). Adding EVs requires a draw from other available sources that can be added on demand - most likely fossil fuel.

You can search my other posts on the subject to avoid derailing this thread.

-ERD50

LOL, with hybrid or gas vehicle you stop at some convenience store for 10 minutes, buy a stale sandwich, and fill up with the smelly stuff in tank.

Driving a gas vehicle helps me with my waistline, I don't buy food at a gas station as who wants to eat with the smell of gas, or I might get gas on the hands which smells for a long time..

Back
Top Bottom