Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 569
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

CFB, my spelling skills and typing skills are not what they would have been had I not had a career where people like you did the grunt work for me.

Typists I could hire from any temp agency, as you are probably familiar with, I did not get paid what I did, to waste my time on secretarial labours.

My Wife raised our children, frankly as a MAN I would have been embarrassed to have to rely upon her for support due to my lack of employability, the fact that you brag about it is even more strange.?

You may consider me a maroon, however , you have consistantly revealed yourself to be a total loser and a fool.

My Daddy is a Police Man, Mine is a Fire Fighter, My Daddy doesn't work.
__________________

__________________
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
I agree that teaching kids to think, analyze, and write is necessary, but may I gently point out that it took a LOT of self-discipline, determination, and hard work to accomplish what these kids did. I don't think it's an either / or proposition.
Gotta agree with Caroline here. All the spelling bees I have attended (5) were won by kids who were honors students in math and sciences, many were athletes, etc.

One kid in particular won it 3 years in a row. She is a nuclear engineer today (not many "she's" in that field). Modesty prevents my from revealing my daughter's her relation to me (if any), but seriously, most of the top contenders were good at a lot of things.

My hat's off to all these kids. Bananas, eggs, oreos, whatever.
__________________

__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
CFB, my spelling skills and typing skills are not what they would have been had I not had a career where people like you did the grunt work for me.
The people who used to cut my lawn made more money than you did, buffoon!
Quote:
You may consider me a maroon, however , you have consistantly revealed yourself to be a total loser and a fool.
Wow, a total loser who's worth more than you, retired earlier than you, and isnt an illiterate nutjob! You've really put the "loo" in "loser" Howie....

Quote:
My Daddy is a Police Man, Mine is a Fire Fighter, My Daddy doesn't work.
Sounds like your kid needs some remedial schooling if he cant decide on what you do for a living.

My son already has his line prepared:

"My daddy is rich and we get to spend all of our time together!"

Didnt you say that all of your kids had fled to other continents, presumably to get away from you?
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

The Spelling Bee is more than memorizing words, these kids are getting an in depth understanding of the origin of their language, structure, and the amazing nature of words to cross geographic boundries and cultures. One of the kids figured out how to spell the word once she was told it's origins were assiryan/babylonian, that's hard core! I was rivited.

Max, you paid your "grunt workers" ten times what you made?


There is more than one man on this board that decided to take on caring for their children, I was close to doing it myself. It takes a REAL MAN to not blindly follow society's petty anachronistic gender roles and do what's best for his family.

In fact, people who conform with society's expectations are not really what this board is about at all, you sure you are in the right place
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 174
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Wow, a total loser who's worth more than you, retired earlier than you, and isnt an illiterate nutjob!*
For some reason this reminds me of a story in our local paper. Guy lived in a trailer park, then won the lottery. Became rich. Retired early. But didn't seem to have much class.
__________________
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

...and you promised that you'd have nothing else to say on the subject.
[Edited by moderator].
Eh, I may not have much class, but I have ****loads of style.* Guess which one works better...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 569
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

CFB, you remind me of the guys who used to work in the ware house, they always knew more than the Boss, just ask them.

Diaper Daddy.

Laurence, you are rationalising.
__________________
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

A name I have and will wear with pride.

At least my son will know his daddy. Yours dont. Even if they've met YOU!

So theres no chance of a photo of your dog without the red sex toy, huh?
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
cube_rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,466
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

NM
__________________
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 03:43 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 699
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
The Spelling Bee is more than memorizing words, these kids are getting an in depth understanding of the origin of their language, structure, and the amazing nature of words to cross geographic boundries and cultures. One of the kids figured out how to spell the word once she was told it's origins were assiryan/babylonian, that's hard core!
I agree. I don't think being able to spell is a function of rote memorization, rather it depends on the internalization of the rules, patterns and logic of language(s). Looking through the list of words at http://www.spellingbee.com/results.asp, most of them do not involve trick, variant spellings. They're just obscure.

Smart kids.

Bpp
__________________
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 569
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Diaper Daddy, Max broke his leg and that is a cast.

I never changed a diaper, that is a role my wife was more than happy to do, and we even used Cloth Diapers, tried to save a few forests before Generation XYZ started logging them and cluttering up the Land Fill sites with non degradeable plastics.

My Sons know who their Dad is, they know [edited by moderator].

So Super [edited by moderator].

Why do I hear that Beatles song in my head, you know, I'm a Loser.
__________________
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Awright, both of you, break it up, holster your guns, and settle down.

Move along, folks, continue about your daily business, nothing left to see here...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
Max broke his leg and that is a cast.
So when you're done firing the pregnant women at work, you go home and kick the dog and break its leg?

Got it.

Sorry Nords, I've been trying to set that spike for a month.

There wasnt much to see here anyway...somebody bought a stick to a gun fight...
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 987
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp


I agree. I don't think being able to spell is a function of rote memorization, rather it depends on the internalization of the rules, patterns and logic of language(s). Looking through the list of words at http://www.spellingbee.com/results.asp, most of them do not involve trick, variant spellings. They're just obscure.
looked at the words for rounds 19 & 20

ursprache and weltscmerz

these are German words. Didn't even know they were words in English. I would have no problem spelling them, but only because I know German.

its one thing to use common German words that get regular English usage (e.g. angst), but these ones? hmmm....
__________________
I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

The only one of the words I got right (of any language) was Weirmacht, and only because I'm a WWII history buff.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 166
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
The only one of the words I got right (of any language) was Weirmacht, and only because I'm a WWII history buff.
do you mean Wehrmacht?
__________________
nil illegitimus carborundum
F M All is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Holy crap! That is the funniest joke I've ever been the butt of! ROTFL

I was just reading a blog that spelled it the incorrect way, now it's hardwired!

I will leave my original post alone for other's benefit.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 699
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp


I agree. I don't think being able to spell is a function of rote memorization, rather it depends on the internalization of the rules, patterns and logic of language(s). Looking through the list of words at http://www.spellingbee.com/results.asp, most of them do not involve trick, variant spellings. They're just obscure.
looked at the words for rounds 19 & 20

ursprache and weltscmerz

these are German words. Didn't even know they were words in English. I would have no problem spelling them, but only because I know German.

its one thing to use common German words that get regular English usage (e.g. angst), but these ones? hmmm....
I've seen Weltschmertz used in English. Never seen Ursprache, though maybe it's common among linguists. But I was likewise surprised to see douane and tutoyer -- well I guess I have seen the latter used in English, there not really being a more compact way to express the concept with other English words, but the former I have only seen in multi-lingual airport and postal contexts. But all the words reportedly come from Webster's Unabridged, so apparently someone has seen them used in English somewhere...

Bpp
__________________
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee
Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: U.S. Spelling Bee

How about aduana and tutear? Oh wait... Spanish hasn't completely usurped English in the U.S. yet...
__________________

__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Predictions for U.S. stock market in 2007 JustCurious FIRE and Money 60 12-31-2007 09:03 PM
Qaeda's Zawahri says Iraq bill shows U.S. defeat dex Other topics 9 05-07-2007 04:34 PM
Army declares new spelling of "Family" Nords Other topics 13 05-02-2007 07:10 PM
U.S. Government Rigging The Equity Markets? Donner FIRE and Money 57 09-15-2005 04:01 PM
Katrina Targeting U.S. Oil Operations Craig Other topics 1 08-28-2005 11:57 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.