Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Cab companies are highly regulated, so they can't make changes that easily. They wanted the regulation, because that allowed them to create the medallion system which has been used for decades to keep competitors out of the market, and created artificially high prices for the medallions. Now that their market model is going the way of the dinosaur they are screaming bloody murder, but it's largely a self inflicted wound.
The medallion system is not used in the DC area where I live. Cab fares are notoriously inexpensive but availability is an issue. If their market model is going the way of the dinosaur, I think the cab businesses would be motivated to get an Uber-style model. It addresses a lot of safety issues and the demand pricing should be in their favor. The general public l public would not be happy with the increased cost but perhaps they could find some middle ground.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I feel sorry for the cab operators who purchased medallions in the expectation that it provided them security. The cities who sold them should buy them back.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I feel sorry for the cab operators who purchased medallions in the expectation that it provided them security. The cities who sold them should buy them back.
Actually the medallions were sold by prior owners of the medallion. Cities don't issue new ones, but they trade between owners. So the city did not get a lot of benefit for the high prices except perhaps for income taxes. The point was that the medallions were issued and no more so that as population increased the demand for the medallions increased.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Ya know... In Istanbul, that's how you make a right turn on red.

Oh, and 'red' means stop if the car in front of you stopped.

LOL.... I did not put it down, but the most scared I have been was in Ukraine... I was going to visit Yalta and took a cab... well, it seems that highway strips are for sissies... there were many times the cab was passing people with a car or truck coming straight at us (since we were in their lane)... kinda played chicken most of the way there and my driver was NOT chicken Funny that I remember that well, but not so much Yalta
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Uber users, how does the Uber fare work in the OP's case?

I signed up for the Uber app recently but didn't take a ride yet. When I put in for a fare estimate, it would tell me something like "$9-12 to downtown" with the variance depending on other factors. Does it cost more if the driver takes the long way around (like a metered cab?) or if there's a lot of traffic (a dwell time charge like a metered cab)?
The Uber app sets the price for your location to your destination at the time you make the request. The fee is automatically deducted from your credit card and includes the tip. you never pull out your wallet. The variance involves demand pricing. If there is high demand in your area the price will rise - intended to draw more drivers to the area in demand. I have only used Uber a few times (I usually use the bike share program to get around town) but all of my experiences have been excellent. I worry a bit about whether the pay model is abusive (stories are conflicting on this issue) but the basic model is much better than calling or hailing cabs. I agree with jazz4cash that the cab companies may be forced to adopt this model or fall by the wayside. I suspect that the later is more likely since the transition to Uber like tech would probably be a mess.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #26

Boston Uber Driver Convicted Of Rape, Sentenced to 10 Years In Prison

"When the woman got in Done’s car, he informed her that she needed to pay him in cash. They stopped at an ATM before he drove her to a secluded location and sexually assaulted her.
Done reportedly hit the victim and attempted to strangle her during the attack, locking the car doors so she wouldn’t escape and covering her mouth so she would remain quiet.
Done was subsequently linked to several other attacks on women in previous years, thanks to a DNA match. He was ultimately charged in connection to five different assaults."

Boston Uber Driver Convicted Of Rape, Sentenced to 10 Years In Prison

omni
Old 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #27

In my limited research, I also believe there are some liability minefields associated with the Uber system.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The Uber app sets the price for your location to your destination at the time you make the request. The fee is automatically deducted from your credit card and includes the tip. you never pull out your wallet. The variance involves demand pricing. If there is high demand in your area the price will rise - intended to draw more drivers to the area in demand. I have only used Uber a few times (I usually use the bike share program to get around town) but all of my experiences have been excellent. I worry a bit about whether the pay model is abusive (stories are conflicting on this issue) but the basic model is much better than calling or hailing cabs. I agree with jazz4cash that the cab companies may be forced to adopt this model or fall by the wayside. I suspect that the later is more likely since the transition to Uber like tech would probably be a mess.

No, it's like a taxi. Per mile and per minute charges. The app will give you an estimate, but the final charge does depend on how you go and how long it takes.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum