Join Early Retirement Today

UCC Filing??
Old 02-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #1

UCC Filing??

So, I've sold my business (actually for tax reasons, I sold all the copyrights and trademarks rather than the business itself).

It's my understanding that I should make a UCC filing for this transaction.There's no coherent information on the UCC filing site for my state. Can anyone tell me more about this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: UCC Filing??
Old 02-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So you are selling the assets over time and retaining a security interest in the assets so you can repossess them if you aren't paid?

A UCC filing generally refers to a financing statement filed in the state records which evidences your security interest in certain assets. You have to have a security agreement as well. There are financing statement forms approved by the state to complete and file with the state. The form has you identify the debtor, creditor and the collateral. Wasn't the form provided at closing by the attorneys?

Security interests in copyrights are treated different from most other assets. Perfection of security interests in copyrights can only be made through the US Copyright office. The copyright has to be registered.

(extra disclaimer-not legal advice, just general principles)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #3

Thanks, Martha,

No, I'm selling only the copyrights so that the buyer can write off the purchase in three years instead of 15. There's no security interest talk in the asset transfer agreement.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need a CPA. Maybe one thats a marketing executive too.

Make sure he's heard of the "hummer deduction".

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Then why is someone saying you need to file a UCC?

Old 02-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #6

I take it back about no security interest talk in the agreement. Here's the relevant paragraph in the agreement:

"b. As my security that you will make the payments as set forth
above, you grant to me a security interest in all rights in and to the Products
that I am conveying to you as security for your obligation to pay me. At my
expense, such security interest may be recorded in accordance with the Uniform Commercial Code using a financing statement in a form acceptable to both parties."
Old 02-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, so you have a security interest. Now you need to perfect it. Inotherwords, make it valid as against third party claims.

For everything but the copyrights, you file a UCC. It looks like you can do it online here: https://uccconnect.ss.ca.gov/acct/acct-templogin.asp

For copyrights, the only way to perfect is at the copyright office which is not the same as a UCC. And the copyright has to be registered.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:41 AM   #8

Thanks for the help. I've PM'd you with more details.

Quote:
make it valid as against third party claims.
I'm not clear on what that means.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Al, I believe you owe me fifty bucks because I thought of the idea for your product, whatever the heck it is, and produced a product that has nothing to do with it but has the same name, before you did.

Now you know
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Perfection of the security interest gives you protection against 3rd party claims. If someone tries to get the assets (through a legal judgment, a subsequent sale, etc) that you sold to Business Buyer, your perfected security interests in those assets are still valid as against that 3rd party. The security agreement you signed gives you a security interest as against the Business Buyer, but not against 3rd parties in general. Once the security interest is perfected (through filing UCC statements, or registering copyrights), it is as if everyone else in the world is notified of your security interest in those assets, and as a result, 3rd parties can't acquire title to those assets due to your security interest.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #11

Thanks -- what would I do without you guys.

You can deduct hummers!!??
Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Thanks -- what would I do without you guys.
Pay some damn attorney hundreds of dollars an hour to splain this stuff to you, and fill out a single-page UCC1 form.

You probably still want to consult with an attorney to make sure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's with respect to the UCC filings and copyright registration. It could be money well spent if the buyer goes under at some point in the future (depending on the amount you have at stake).

Old 02-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Pay some damn attorney hundreds of dollars an hour to splain this stuff to you, and fill out a single-page UCC1 form.*

You probably still want to consult with an attorney to make sure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's with respect to the UCC filings and copyright registration.* It could be money well spent if the buyer goes under at some point in the future (depending on the amount you have at stake).*

As usual I mostly did my own UCCs. Never had a problem. Just lucky I guess.

JG
Old 02-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
You can deduct hummers!!??
Only the vehicle. The tax code has clamped down, so to speak, on the other type.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Only the vehicle.* The tax code has clamped down, so to speak, on the other type.
OOH..good one!

JG
Old 02-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Blow is just a figure of speech... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote