Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: UCLA versus UT Austin or Texas A&M
Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Co-op experiance is critical whether or not he intends post-graduate work.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
....My son has been accepted to several universities, both private and public. Going through the list, he and I have no problems comparing one school from another based on cost, academic level, and enviroment.....
So this is for Fall 2007 entry, right? Did you and him sign up and take a tour of each campus last summer? Many schools have a program where you can schedule a tour along with other kids and parents, well in advance of decision-making time. Detailed tours, see different buildings, meet one-on-one or in a very small group with a prof in the area of interest. See dorms on campus, from the good to the bad. Hear about campus life and lifestyle from adults, and from student guides that are in their senior year. And spend extra time on your own, wandering around the town or area.

Considering how much an investment the big U is, hopping on a plane if need be, and hotels for a few days is cheap in comparison to a big screw-up.

I have seen some parents and kids act like the choice of which school to attend was like spinning the spinner on one of those board games from the 50's/60's. They never went to the campus, parents said "we're sure our son/daughter will do very well wherever they go". Uh-huh, yeah, it's only money... and time.

I went on a early tour years ago with my oldest to A&M. Academic areas of interest were EE and CS. For the CS-specific talk, we were in a small conference room with a few moms and dads and their respective students-to-be. And me & my son. The CS Prof was some crusty guy. I thought he was great! He was a no-BS kind of guy. Warned parents about not pushing too hard. Don't make them take a full load the first semester. The new student has a lot of adjusting to do, there are challenges beyond academics to be handled. He went on and on. Told it like it is. He described my college experience of many years ago very well! You should have seen the look on a lot of those faces, they were scared, looked like "Arrrghhh". However, my son was unfazed. He had heard about the big U from his mom and dad for years. What it took to survive there. Even though our big U of old was a different school.

Our oldest has been out on his own for years now, doing very well. He never had any doubts that that was the school for him. A year after he graduated, a young lady there got her BS degree, then went on to get her Mrs degree too!

I've met people who have kids that split across UT and A&M, "mixed families", so to speak

Just an FYI, you probably have seen it, the expected COA for 2007-2008 for A&M is $18,500. Those are not inflated numbers! Figure on a pretty hefty inflation boost each year for the two Texas flagship schools. And yes, they do turn away a lot of people. Ours sailed in using the top 10% rule. Actually they were in the top 2%.

For a far-away out of state school, don't forget travel costs and hassle factor. May have the kid fly to/from for the holidays, but you'll be driving there and back with a truck, and maybe a trailer too!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #23

also cost of living near ucla is quite high...that is on top of $25k tuition?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:25 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

If this is for Fall 2007 (which I assume it is) it's highly unlikely your child will be able to get student housing. Consider, the rent differences for off-campus housing between College Station and Austin (especially close to the college) is signficant. Also, parking costs, traffic hassles.

Academically they're pretty much equal. The choice between the two really depends on what's a right fit. Austin is a city where the nation's largest university happens to be. College Station is more of a college town. I went to A&M and loved it. I had friends at UT that loved it.

My experience after graduating A&M has been just as good as while I was a student. A&M has a great network, there is an A&M club here in Moscow, there was one in Scotland, Houston has the largest club. Aggies seem to feel the need to help other Aggies - jobs, networking, relocation, etc. I don't really see the same "bond" with UT alumni I know.

I had student loans and it is a significant burden when you graduate. For that reason, I would mark UCLA off the list.

USNews does a university ranking every year. You probably have to have a membership to get the article online - or you could try to find the back issue at the library.

Gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:51 AM   #25

I'm a software engineer with an MSEE in Silicon Valley. I am familiar with UT and UCLA but not A&M (even though one of my former managers went there). From an interviewing perspective, I wouldn't favor one over the other -- they are pretty equivalent in my eyes. Although I would research the programs, of course, before going.

From the dad perspective (UT vs. UCLA), it would be a no brainer for me -- UT. UT is in a great setting, too. I did work on the campus there for my job for a couple of weeks and have thought of moving to Austin ever since

If I were a student and they cost the same, I would definitely favor UT. UCLA is just an urban jungle and it costs a fortune, to boot! And he probably does not want to get a job in high cost of living California after graduation, at least if he wants to raise a family. Housing is three times the price of Texas and your net pay is reduced by 10% due to income taxes.

The people you go to school with form a long term network. If your son is going to live in Texas or the Midwest, the UT network will be more useful there.

Where you go to graduate school does matter more. Although even that does not matter much after a few years.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Co-op experiance is critical whether or not he intends post-graduate work.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
So this is for Fall 2007 entry, right? Did you and him sign up and take a tour of each campus last summer?

For a far-away out of state school, don't forget travel costs and hassle factor. May have the kid fly to/from for the holidays, but you'll be driving there and back with a truck, and maybe a trailer too!
Yes it's for Fall 2007. We have visited both UT and A&M, but not UCLA yet. I agree about the travel costs and hassle factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeps
If this is for Fall 2007 (which I assume it is) it's highly unlikely your child will be able to get student housing. Consider, the rent differences for off-campus housing between College Station and Austin (especially close to the college) is signficant. Also, parking costs, traffic hassles.
We made the deposit for housing for UT and A&M a couple months ago. So it's not a problem. UCLA guaranteed housing availability in their acceptance letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
I'm a software engineer with an MSEE in Silicon Valley. I am familiar with UT and UCLA but not A&M (even though one of my former managers went there). From an interviewing perspective, I wouldn't favor one over the other -- they are pretty equivalent in my eyes. Although I would research the programs, of course, before going.

From the dad perspective (UT vs. UCLA), it would be a no brainer for me -- UT. UT is in a great setting, too. I did work on the campus there for my job for a couple of weeks and have thought of moving to Austin ever since

If I were a student and they cost the same, I would definitely favor UT. UCLA is just an urban jungle and it costs a fortune, to boot! And he probably does not want to get a job in high cost of living California after graduation, at least if he wants to raise a family. Housing is three times the price of Texas and your net pay is reduced by 10% due to income taxes.

The people you go to school with form a long term network. If your son is going to live in Texas or the Midwest, the UT network will be more useful there.

Where you go to graduate school does matter more. Although even that does not matter much after a few years.

Kramer
Thanks sharing your experience.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
also cost of living near ucla is quite high...that is on top of $25k tuition?
Yes, that is on top of the tuition. Total cost of attendance is $36K to 42K (sorority to residence hall).

Total cost of attendance for UT or A&M is $19K.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

ok, a new yorkers perspective. i know that ut austin is a very good school. texas a&m doesn't sound as good to me. i know nothing about this really, but that is kind of the point. if your kid wants to leave texas ever ut austin has better cache value. ucla and ut austin aren't that different reputation wise to justify the extra costs but berkelley is.
newyorklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
ok, a new yorkers perspective. i know that ut austin is a very good school. texas a&m doesn't sound as good to me. i know nothing about this really, but that is kind of the point. if your kid wants to leave texas ever ut austin has better cache value. ucla and ut austin aren't that different reputation wise to justify the extra costs but berkelley is.
I'm an ex-New Yorker (born and raised there) and I can assure you that a Texas A&M degree is very valuable. There is tremendous support among former Aggies to help one another career-wise. My son was headed for UT and changed his mind at the last minute to attend A&M. He is very happy he did because of the support. If you lived in this part of the country, I think you would understand...
BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraAnne
I'm an ex-New Yorker (born and raised there) and I can assure you that a Texas A&M degree is very valuable. There is tremendous support among former Aggies to help one another career-wise. My son was headed for UT and changed his mind at the last minute to attend A&M. He is very happy he did because of the support. If you lived in this part of the country, I think you would understand...
I know someone else said much the same.... but I think both schools have the same support.... and I see more Texas EX stickers than A&M ones...

We had a large number of both that worked here... (4 UT and 3 A&M our of 20)... but now only one of each...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in California and actually teach at a major state university.

UC Berkley is outstanding. If my child were accepted there, I'd probably send him if I were you.

UCLA is good but not good enough to merit the out-of-state tuition. I'd send my kid to A&M or Texas. Being a Texas-ex, I'd probably choose UT, but either school is great. (My brother and brother-in-law went to A&M.)
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Whatever the major, a school program that has internships and strong relationships with alumni is a good choice.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

OK... read something in Reader's Digest about college.. and saving money... they say use the state schools... that the CEOs of the top companies come from MANY Universities.... that only 10% come from IVY schools...

They point is that if the person is good, it does not matter that much which school they went, they will succeed in life...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
When do Financial Packages arrive from public universities?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #34

When do Financial Packages arrive from public universities?

We have received 2 financial packages from private colleges, but nothing yet from public ones.

When do public universities send the packages? Should we call/email to ask for them?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my finanical aid award from A&M in December (following fall enrollment). I did ask for it though. I didn't receive the "package" until March/April I think. This would have been 12 years ago. I say it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. They may have made the determination already, but not mailed the paperwork.
Gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #36
gone traveling

Public school in Texas. Period. It makes no sense to spend an additional 16K X 4 64,000 + other expenses to go to college. If he decides to get a masters or Phd after then he goes and gets PAID to get the degree at the Private School.

Examples...

Son accepted to Cornell , and Rutgers. Cornell said we could afford 24K a year. I said son looks like Rutgers is your choice. He was not very happy at the time of making the decision, however he did wonderful at Rutgers and then go accepted to a PHD program at Columbia and was Paid for 5 years @22K per year and Tuition was paid for him to get his PHD.

SO...

Zero undergraduate debt, and Zero PHD debt, heck they even subsidized his living expenses during the 5 years in NYC!!

Think outside of the box people!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Examples...

Son accepted to Cornell , and Rutgers. Cornell said we could afford 24K a year. I said son looks like Rutgers is your choice. He was not very happy at the time of making the decision, however he did wonderful at Rutgers and then go accepted to a PHD program at Columbia and was Paid for 5 years @22K per year and Tuition was paid for him to get his PHD.

SO...

Zero undergraduate debt, and Zero PHD debt, heck they even subsidized his living expenses during the 5 years in NYC!!

Think outside of the box people!!
Newguy888, you were an educator, right?

24K annual difference between Cornell and Rutgers is significant enough to favor Rutgers. In your personal professional opinion, how much should the annual cost difference be for you to recommend/send your son to Cornell instead of Rutgers? 20K, 15K, 10K, or 5K?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

We lets see:

UT- 4 seed
UCLA- 2 seed
A&M- 3 seed

According to the NCAA selection committee, UCLA is the best choice.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #39

rjpatt,

Do you have a link? I have never seen that data before. UT (Austin) is 2 level below UCLA, and 1 below A&M?

Edit: Never mind, I just noticed "NCAA". Good joke.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Newguy888, you were an educator, right?

24K annual difference between Cornell and Rutgers is significant enough to favor Rutgers. In your personal professional opinion, how much should the annual cost difference be for you to recommend/send your son to Cornell instead of Rutgers? 20K, 15K, 10K, or 5K?

Sam

I seriously have a major issue with the Ivy league. You are either rich or poor the middle class kid gets some help. In my opinion you should never go into debt for undergraduate school. If that means only the rich go to the private schools so be it. Remember what I said before if you want any degree from that type of place, make it a graduate degree when they PAY YOU as a TA and pay your tuition.

The difference in education from Rutgers to Cornell is financially a non starter.

Tuition at RU was 11K they at cornell wanted over 24 from us. I was able to pay as we went for him at rutgers, plus he worked his arse off in summer and when off. He helped pay.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote