Join Early Retirement Today

UFO science
Old 03-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
UFO science

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070228...x067rCce3MWM0F

A former Canadian defense minister is demanding governments worldwide disclose and use secret alien technologies obtained in alleged UFO crashes to stem climate change, a local paper said Wednesday.
Alien spacecrafts would have traveled vast distances to reach Earth, and so must be equipped with advanced propulsion systems or used exceptional fuels, he told the newspaper.UFO science

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: UFO science
Old 03-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if we are not created in the image of god then at least we are the center of the universe. and if we are not the center of the universe then the world revolves around me. and if the world doesn't revolve around me then at least we are a must see in your alien travels.

if we indeed are at least one of the 7 natural wonders of creation, surely our appeal is only opportunity to entertain the true world travelers with what is apparently the universe's largest over-inflated ego. welcome to this comedy club we call planet earth; do you have reservations?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Methinks the years may be catching up with him . . .

Azimov did a good job of harpooning the whole idea of "visiting aliens" in his "Rocketing Dutchmen" article. His point: If they exist, these aliens are intelligent enough to cross vast distances and to find our planet. So, they either want us to know about them, or they don't. If they want us to know about them and to communicate with us, would they really choose to make their contact through encounters with rednecks in the middle of nowhere? If they didn't want us to know about them, wouldn't they have the technology to avoid detection?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem

Azimov did a good job of harpooning the whole idea of "visiting aliens" in his "Rocketing Dutchmen" article. His point: If they exist, these aliens are intelligent enough to cross vast distances and to find our planet. So, they either want us to know about them, or they don't. If they want us to know about them and to communicate with us, would they really choose to make their contact through encounters with rednecks in the middle of nowhere? If they didn't want us to know about them, wouldn't they have the technology to avoid detection?
Whether they want us to know of them or not, they're doing a bad job.

Many years ago my mother was on a bus trip and the tour guide said 'this is where soandso said they met the aliens; Mother said: "you can see this spot from the interstate".
Old 03-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Ah, Canada! :
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Azimov did a good job of harpooning the whole idea of "visiting aliens" in his "Rocketing Dutchmen" article...
Dang. I thought I had read everything Ike ever wrote (even his awful joke book), but I missed that one. Where did it appear? Where can I find it today?
Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem

Listen to that overnight radio stuff , George Nori and Art Bell. Crazy people who took too many mushrooms in their youth call in about the UFOs!

They were talking about this stuff again last night when I was tuning around the dail. Some of the stuff would be funny if it was not so idiotic. People actually believe this stuff to their graves.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Dang. I thought I had read everything Ike ever wrote (even his awful joke book), but I missed that one. Where did it appear? Where can I find it today?
I like Asimov's SF, but like his "science fact" articles even more--most articles published today with similar intent aren't nearly so clear, accurate, or entertaining. According to a site online "The Rocketing Dutchmen" was first published in Feb-75, "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and later included in the collection "The Planet that Wasn't" published in 1976.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Maybe the old guy knows something, or maybe he's off his rocker.

As far as the sightings in redneck country, seems to me that in a lot of sci-fi movies and shows, the outer space folks always pick "an out of the way place" to land, and dont worry too much about being seen by one or two of the locals, as "who would believe them anyhow?"

Presuming a pretty advanced species is involved, they'd probably want to observe a primitive culture without infecting it with too much cross cultural contamination. And they'd be afraid that we'd constantly be trying to kill them and take their stuff, which is a pretty fair concern.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like Asimov's SF, but like his "science fact" articles even more--most articles published today with similar intent aren't nearly so clear, accurate, or entertaining. According to a site online "The Rocketing Dutchmen" was first published in Feb-75, "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and later included in the collection "The Planet that Wasn't" published in 1976.
Thank you, samclem!

I, too, enjoyed his fact articles more.

I will look for this one.