UFO science

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
if we are not created in the image of god then at least we are the center of the universe. and if we are not the center of the universe then the world revolves around me. and if the world doesn't revolve around me then at least we are a must see in your alien travels.

if we indeed are at least one of the 7 natural wonders of creation, surely our appeal is only opportunity to entertain the true world travelers with what is apparently the universe's largest over-inflated ego. welcome to this comedy club we call planet earth; do you have reservations?

Methinks the years may be catching up with him . . .

Azimov did a good job of harpooning the whole idea of "visiting aliens" in his "Rocketing Dutchmen" article. His point: If they exist, these aliens are intelligent enough to cross vast distances and to find our planet. So, they either want us to know about them, or they don't. If they want us to know about them and to communicate with us, would they really choose to make their contact through encounters with rednecks in the middle of nowhere? If they didn't want us to know about them, wouldn't they have the technology to avoid detection?

samclem said:

Azimov did a good job of harpooning the whole idea of "visiting aliens" in his "Rocketing Dutchmen" article. His point: If they exist, these aliens are intelligent enough to cross vast distances and to find our planet. So, they either want us to know about them, or they don't. If they want us to know about them and to communicate with us, would they really choose to make their contact through encounters with rednecks in the middle of nowhere? If they didn't want us to know about them, wouldn't they have the technology to avoid detection?

Whether they want us to know of them or not, they're doing a bad job.

Many years ago my mother was on a bus trip and the tour guide said 'this is where soandso said they met the aliens; Mother said: "you can see this spot from the interstate".

Azimov did a good job of harpooning the whole idea of "visiting aliens" in his "Rocketing Dutchmen" article...

Dang. I thought I had read everything Ike ever wrote (even his awful joke book), but I missed that one. Where did it appear? Where can I find it today?

samclem said:

Listen to that overnight radio stuff , George Nori and Art Bell. Crazy people who took too many mushrooms in their youth call in about the UFOs!

They were talking about this stuff again last night when I was tuning around the dail. Some of the stuff would be funny if it was not so idiotic. People actually believe this stuff to their graves.

:LOL:

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Dang. I thought I had read everything Ike ever wrote (even his awful joke book), but I missed that one. Where did it appear? Where can I find it today?
I like Asimov's SF, but like his "science fact" articles even more--most articles published today with similar intent aren't nearly so clear, accurate, or entertaining. According to a site online "The Rocketing Dutchmen" was first published in Feb-75, "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and later included in the collection "The Planet that Wasn't" published in 1976.

Maybe the old guy knows something, or maybe he's off his rocker.

As far as the sightings in redneck country, seems to me that in a lot of sci-fi movies and shows, the outer space folks always pick "an out of the way place" to land, and dont worry too much about being seen by one or two of the locals, as "who would believe them anyhow?"

Presuming a pretty advanced species is involved, they'd probably want to observe a primitive culture without infecting it with too much cross cultural contamination. And they'd be afraid that we'd constantly be trying to kill them and take their stuff, which is a pretty fair concern.

I like Asimov's SF, but like his "science fact" articles even more--most articles published today with similar intent aren't nearly so clear, accurate, or entertaining. According to a site online "The Rocketing Dutchmen" was first published in Feb-75, "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction" and later included in the collection "The Planet that Wasn't" published in 1976.

Thank you, samclem!

I, too, enjoyed his fact articles more.

I will look for this one.

Back
Top Bottom