Join Early Retirement Today

ugh broken keyboard
Old 05-09-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ugh broken keyboard

its with great regret that i can't post or read anything for a while . my keyboard drank some coffee . i have to send it for service . i am using the onscreen keyboard .
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I assume you've got a laptop. If a desktop, you just go buy another keyboard.

We recently broke the hinges on our Chromebook. Since we long since got our $149 usage out of the rig, we just trashed ir.

I'd already stepped up to a $169 Windows II based 'puter which we keep absolutely no data or anything on. My good computer has all the good stuff stored on its hard drive, and we seldom even use it any longer. But the info's there waiting if needed.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

USB keyboard... $4.02

https://www.amazon.com/TIFENNY-Flexi...s=usb+keyboard
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I solved this problem with a USB keyboard as imoldernu suggested, then after a decent interval for things to shake out, I remapped the keys so I could go back to using the regular keyboard. It takes awhile for your fingers to learn a new layout, but if you only have a few bad keys, it can work.

Then invest in a keyboard protector —*after my incident, I bought them for all of the laptops in our household.

--

retired mid-2000s age 42
fancy free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't put liquids next to where I type as the old saying goes, "Not if, but when" there'll be an accidental spill.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My Surface Pro 3 is docked in my home office and at the lake place. I have a real monitor, real mouse, and real keyboard. I drown a keyboard in tea or diet soda once or twice a year, so I keep spares. $4 each at MicroCenter. I have two spares handy right now.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with OldShooter. There was a brief historical period when even so much as carrying a cup of coffee into the computer room was a disciplinary offense, but the things are cheap and ubiquitous now. If a keyboard bites the dust every so often, that's just an excuse to upgrade.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

myspacebarisstuckandIcan'ttypeanythinganymore!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #9

don't have the " " key anymore.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I've briefly used a washable keyboard which was nice to wash and rinse with dishwashing soap and water. But since I touch type, I've since put the keyboard in the closet and have a non-washeable with a better touch feedback. Was nice too to not afraid of food crumbs if I snacked while typing.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
I'm with OldShooter. There was a brief historical period when even so much as carrying a cup of coffee into the computer room was a disciplinary offense, but the things are cheap and ubiquitous now. If a keyboard bites the dust every so often, that's just an excuse to upgrade.
Remember that well. Have seen quite a few operators written up for having liquids in the computer room. Of course that was some time ago.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If I start using a laptop for home, I'll plug in a real big monitor and real keyboard and mouse, and just pretend I'm still using a computer box.

I refuse to use a laptop keyboard unless I'm traveling.... they are not standard layouts.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:43 AM   #13

did a similar thing with a decent laptop. bought a wireless keyboard and mouse combination. I expect getting the keyboard fixed or replaced would be more $, but a bit nicer. That was my solution.
qwer are the only keys effected on my keyboard
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If I start using a laptop for home, I'll plug in a real big monitor and real keyboard and mouse, and just pretend I'm still using a computer box.

I refuse to use a laptop keyboard unless I'm traveling.... they are not standard layouts.
Of course. I've been doing that for maybe 25 years. Docks, monitors, keyboards, mice plus sometimes scanners and sound systems, home, lake home, and in olden times, at work.

The nice thing these days is my "laptop" is a MS Surface Pro 3, so extremely compact. In laptop configuration it goes with me to SCORE when I am mentoring. In tablet configuration it sits with me in my recliner with morning coffee for reading daily news sites and overnight email. The touch keyboard and/or handwriting recognition are actually quite good but for anything but short emails I wait until it's back in its dock and I have a real keyboard.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote