Join Early Retirement Today

Uncivilized grocery store shopping
Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uncivilized grocery store shopping

I just read this in a Nebraska newspaper. After I read that, I was reading another forum and the question was about pet peeves in grocery stores. I couldn't believe the nasty comments that some people made about what they didn't like in others shopping at grocery stores. Do you find shopping at grocery stores more uncivilized these days?

JournalStar.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - News - Local

Women cited in grocery store altercation

By the Lincoln Journal Star
Monday, Nov 03, 2008 - 10:00:51 am CST
Two women were cited for an altercation at a grocery store Saturday morning.

Jana Volzke, 34, was standing in front of the bananas at Russís Market, 2840 S. 70th St., around 10:20 a.m. when Connie Witt, 64, allegedly became upset that she was taking too long and called her an obscene name, said Officer Katie Flood.

Volzke asked Witt not to call her that name in front of her children, ages five and two, and Witt allegedly repeated it, Flood said.

Volzke told Witt to stay away from her kids, and Witt allegedly hit Volzke in the face with a three-ounce bag of Whisker Lickinís cat treats, Flood said. Then Volzke allegedly spit on Wittís chest.

Witt was cited on suspicion of misdemeanor assault and Volzke was cited on suspicion of expectorating on another person, Flood said.

--Hilary Kindschuh

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #2

Hmmm, haven't seen that myself here in the perhaps more genteel south, but I'm not sure what my reaction would be to being hit with a pack of Whisker Lickins. Spitting might be the least of it.

Now I did get to witness some fabulous parenting on my last foray to the Publix of a mom melting down and shrieking at her small children in the produce section. "and Tina if you don't xyx I'm gonna take back them Halloween costumes for a refund and you ain't goin' trickortreating tonight". There was more, but I fled with my gratefully vacant ovaries for the beer section.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Hmmm, haven't seen that myself here in the perhaps more genteel south,
I've not seen rage, but then I do tend to shop about 10AM on workdays.

Quote:
but I'm not sure what my reaction would be to being hit with a pack of Whisker Lickins. Spitting might be the least of it.
I can't imagine. But I tend to avoid conflict (sometimes too much?).

Quote:
Now I did get to witness some fabulous parenting on my last foray to the Publix of a mom melting down and shrieking at her small children in the produce section. "and Tina if you don't xyx I'm gonna take back them Halloween costumes for a refund and you ain't goin' trickortreating tonight". There was more, but I fled with my gratefully vacant ovaries for the beer section.
One of those: "tubes tie themselves" moments?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The other forum that I was reading mentioned quite a few people placing expensive items in carts that were blocking the aisles for payback. It was almost like aisles rage. There was quite a few references to Wal Mart tho...so...maybe that had something to do with the civility.

I really really try to stay out of the stores during the busy times. The last time I did go on a weekend, I have never seen so many sour faces. No one was smiling.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
became upset that she was taking too long and called her an obscene name, said Officer Katie Flood.
Here's the transcript:

"Get away from the bananas, you dirty market timer!"
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago I was shopping at my local Safeway on a Saturday night after the master butchers had gone home. A middle aged woman who wanted custom cut meat at any cost became violent and started to fling packages of steak into the back of the store. She had to be restrained and detained by security.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I just read this in a Nebraska newspaper. After I read that, I was reading another forum and the question was about pet peeves in grocery stores. I couldn't believe the nasty comments that some people made about what they didn't like in others shopping at grocery stores. Do you find shopping at grocery stores more uncivilized these days?

JournalStar.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - News - Local

Women cited in grocery store altercation

By the Lincoln Journal Star
Monday, Nov 03, 2008 - 10:00:51 am CST
Two women were cited for an altercation at a grocery store Saturday morning.

Jana Volzke, 34, was standing in front of the bananas at Russís Market, 2840 S. 70th St., around 10:20 a.m. when Connie Witt, 64, allegedly became upset that she was taking too long and called her an obscene name, said Officer Katie Flood.

Volzke asked Witt not to call her that name in front of her children, ages five and two, and Witt allegedly repeated it, Flood said.

Volzke told Witt to stay away from her kids, and Witt allegedly hit Volzke in the face with a three-ounce bag of Whisker Lickinís cat treats, Flood said. Then Volzke allegedly spit on Wittís chest.

Witt was cited on suspicion of misdemeanor assault and Volzke was cited on suspicion of expectorating on another person, Flood said.

--Hilary Kindschuh
Ouch.........I've actually BEEN to that market, it's pretty tame, at least when I was there...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ouch.........I've actually BEEN to that market, it's pretty tame, at least when I was there...........
Perhaps you have a calming effect on women.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
So I've been told........

Old 11-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Translation: puts them to sleep

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

i have been known to unexpectedly toss a head of lettuce at my dh2b, "go out for a short pass", and watch him scramble to catch it when we get older and even more eccentric, we will be the terror of the produce aisle.

my fave is the people who enter the 15 items or less with 20+ items and 2 toddler age kids. nobody wants to dis' them cuz the kids are screaming and we ALL want to see them exit quickly.

i avoid Wally World like the plague. dh2b loves the place. but he's a good man otherwise so i overlook that minor deficiency.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

No, I have never seen such uncivilized behavior at my supermarket. Maybe it's because I live in the south (well I'm sorry for blocking the aisle honey! you've been so patient, bless your heart, young man!), maybe it's because I shop in the early afternoon on workdays when my fellow shoppers are mostly retired people...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Translation: puts them to sleep
You can't say that until I've hit on you.........

Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Please keep those northerners out of Georgia.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
gone traveling

Why does it seem that shrieking *mart moms and strange kids names seem to go hand in hand?

"godda#m it Cody Cheyenne, get off them bicycles and get yer a$$ over here right now!. And bring your little sister Beauty Meadow with you. We ain't stoppin at the Burger King on the way home if you kids can't behave."
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never seen anything like this, either in Oregon or in California.

Show up at our local Trader Joe's on a Thursday at 5:30 p.m. and you'll see some tired, exasperated and tight-lipped people, but they're generally polite and simply want to get home.

As for the screaming kid at the grocery store, I LOVE this clip:

Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Witt allegedly hit Volzke in the face with a three-ounce bag of Whisker Lickinís cat treats,
IMHO, grocery store thugs like Connie Witt have no place in decent American society. I hope Russ's market bans her for life....

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Once I was in line behind someone in the 10 items or less line. She looked at me and said "You're counting my items aren't you?" But she said it in a good-natured way.

Anyone make a date at a grocery store?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Once I was in line behind someone in the 10 items or less line. She looked at me and said "You're counting my items aren't you?" But she said it in a good-natured way.

Anyone make a date at a grocery store?
Still thinking about those whisker lickin's?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I was in a checkout line behind a guy who had some sort of severe neck injury. He was wearing one of these Frankenstinian halo braces and was having trouble locating his credit card to pay the cashier. As he searched his pockets he kept said repeatedly he knew he had it with him when he left home. He turned to me to apologize and I told him not to worry about it - some days I thought I'd lose my head if it wasn't screwed on.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote