Unclaimed Funds

Sandy

Full time employment: Posting here.
Every state has a list of persons with unclaimed funds in that state. The amounts are generally small but can be substantial. The funds are from a variety of sources, ranging from unclaimed tax refunds to magazine subscription refunds. People who most likely have unclaimed funds are those who have moved, changed their name, or there are accounts for people who have died.

To obtain funds, each state has a simple form to complete. There are no costs or fees. Only legal heirs can receive funds from the deceased. You can find a link to each state’s listing from the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators:

http://unclaimed.org/mainframe.asp?VisitorType=owner

A few months ago, I was looking through these lists, and found that my uncle, who died five years ago had unclaimed funds in his state. I notified my cousin, who filed the paperwork. Yesterday, to my great surprise, I received a check from my cousin. He wanted to share the money, which they would not have otherwise known about, and sent me a finder’s fee.

Happy treasure hunting. Also, I will not refuse any finder’s fees. :D

Thanks for the link..alas I came up empty........:)

Hmm. Looks like my wife and sister in law have small amounts of unclaimed money in Illinois. How strange. Thanks for the link!

An update on my claim. My state wrote me a check for a little over $1300 for my mother's unclaimed property. I was a little upset when they asked for all the proof, but I understand why. In my situation, I didn't have a copy of her will...I don't think she had one. She had remarried and I think the insurance company lost her at that point. They asked for proof of her remarriage, that I didn't know how to provide. Anyway, it worked out just fine. I copied old newspaper clippings that I had of obituaries that listed all the names and family history. I rec'd a letter from the state thanking me for such a well planned execution of claiming my property.:cool:

Interesting link... did not find anything for me or parents... but maybe something for my brother... but less than $100 for an insurance refund.

But, he will probably go after it...

When I first started this venture, the first mention of the $$ amt. was less than $100. I must have really earned some interest in the meantime.

Deceased uncle, ex husband, and a cousin have something out there. Will be interesting to see if/how it pans out.

When I first started this venture, the first mention of the $$ amt. was less than $100. I must have really earned some interest in the meantime.

I didn't think they earned interest.... that is why the state wants to hold them.. they get the float...

I got $25 a year back from WA -- apparently some refund from my alma mater sent to my very old address years after I graduated. I didn't really know what it was for, but got the check fairly easily from the state.

Texas Proud...could be. I just know that when I first looked at the list it showed <$100, so I was really surprised and happy when the state presented me with over a thousand. Happy as a clam.

When the link was posted some time back in another thread (THANK YOU!!), I found that the Commonwealth of Virginia was indeed holding funds for my maternal grandmother :D ....and while they won't tell you "how much", I can only hope that my time will be well spent and that I'm not going thru the motions for $10.....

I may have a problem in that when she died, she left everything to my Mom....then Mom died and left everything to me.....so I took it upon myself to duplicate the paperwork ~ sending in everything requested for BOTH my grandmother and Mom....and then there is "the kicker"....

While I was technically the only heir, it was only because my brother was disinherited (in the will)....and then I also have two step-brothers....neither of which is addressed in the will.....sooooo....here I sit and wait.....

I sent in the paperwork about two to three weeks ago and have yet to hear anything....wish me luck !! :angel:

I'm waiting for a check from NY State on a stock I thought went bankrupt. It was about getting oil out of shale - I took the tax write off years ago. Found money - priceless.

My Grandmother is on the list.........thanks for the link.

Awhile back a nerby town's local newspaper published a list and I noticed the name and childhood address of a friend's sibling. I mentioned to them and they passed the info along. Next time I saw them, I asked if they had followed up and got this reply:
"No........he's afraid to contact them because he has lots of parking tickets and they don't have a current address for him!"

I am happy to report that I have just been notified that "my claim has been approved" and that I can expect a check for the funds being held :D

The process here in Virginia was rather painless other than having to provide the necessary information twice ~ once on my Grandmother and then again for my Mom (everything left from Grandmother to Mom to Me)....and then they didn't even ask me to do that.....I was just hoping that I had guessed correctly and that they would eventually need that info too....

A very heartfelt THANK YOU :smitten:for this posting; otherwise, I would not have thought to check for such an opportunity....now if I only had an idea as to just how much it might be :D ....although anything is better than nothing, huh?

Thanks again!!

Yes, thank you for the link! I checked and to my surprise my name was on the list...apparently for some $$ left over from one of my first forays into investing in a mutual fund recommended by my father when I was in my early 20s.

I don't know how much I'm due -- I'm thinking maybe $50 -- but the paperwork wasn't that much of a hassle and it's fun checking the mailbox for my soon-to-be-reclaimed bounty!

Thanks again - I wouldn't have thought to check if not for your post!

I have a new Doctor, so I Googled his name and the only thing that came up for him was that the state of MN had $202.56 for a guy with his name waiting to be claimed.

It will be the first thing that I discuss with him at my next (first?) appointment.

Glad this worked out for some folks here.

I have a new Doctor, so I Googled his name and the only thing that came up for him was that the state of MN had $202.56 for a guy with his name waiting to be claimed.

It will be the first thing that I discuss with him at my next (first?) appointment.

That will certainly make an impression. bet you will be able to get quick appointments in the future when you are feeling poorly.

DW did this 4 months ago.

$1700 check just received from a Wisconsin malpractice carrier who was overcharging. Some of this money was more than 15 years overdue with lots of interest included. We had to show the deed and closing documents for our Wi house.

You gotta love the internet.

Does anyone have an idea how or how much in taxes will be paid on these unclaimed amounts?

...interest earned should be taxable....balance should be "found $$$" that was already rightfully yours (or you wouldn't be getting it!) and so should not be subject to tax

...interest earned should be taxable....balance should be "found $$$" that was already rightfully yours (or you wouldn't be getting it!) and so should not be subject to tax

I hope it's spelled out on the end of year tax form that I get from the state. Otherwise, I won't know beans.

...and the amount is.....drumroll please.......

$63.79 :2funny: ....for real!!

I put together all of that paperwork for $63.79.....what a friggin' waste of time and energy.....

Is it possible to feel violated when someone actually sends you money!!:confused:

Take your spouse out to dinner - just not a very expensive place. :rolleyes:

I am a curious man and I looked for unclaimed money for me, family members, friends, and neigbhors.

I found money for all of the above, but nothing for me. I turned over the info to my neighbors. Some elderly neighbors applied for and received a check for $17.

What surprised me is that a family member and a friend never followed up on the claims. One friend in particular had about 10 separate instances of money waiting for him and didn't pursue any of them. He is the nicest guy in the world, but a bit of a procrastinator. He has taken out a loan, but hasn't bothered to claim his money from the state!

Back
Top Bottom