Join Early Retirement Today

Unclaimed Funds
Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unclaimed Funds

Every state has a list of persons with unclaimed funds in that state. The amounts are generally small but can be substantial. The funds are from a variety of sources, ranging from unclaimed tax refunds to magazine subscription refunds. People who most likely have unclaimed funds are those who have moved, changed their name, or there are accounts for people who have died.

To obtain funds, each state has a simple form to complete. There are no costs or fees. Only legal heirs can receive funds from the deceased. You can find a link to each stateís listing from the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators:

http://unclaimed.org/mainframe.asp?VisitorType=owner

A few months ago, I was looking through these lists, and found that my uncle, who died five years ago had unclaimed funds in his state. I notified my cousin, who filed the paperwork. Yesterday, to my great surprise, I received a check from my cousin. He wanted to share the money, which they would not have otherwise known about, and sent me a finderís fee.

Happy treasure hunting. Also, I will not refuse any finderís fees.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link..alas I came up empty........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Empty for me too but the search was fun!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm. Looks like my wife and sister in law have small amounts of unclaimed money in Illinois. How strange. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

An update on my claim. My state wrote me a check for a little over $1300 for my mother's unclaimed property. I was a little upset when they asked for all the proof, but I understand why. In my situation, I didn't have a copy of her will...I don't think she had one. She had remarried and I think the insurance company lost her at that point. They asked for proof of her remarriage, that I didn't know how to provide. Anyway, it worked out just fine. I copied old newspaper clippings that I had of obituaries that listed all the names and family history. I rec'd a letter from the state thanking me for such a well planned execution of claiming my property.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Interesting link... did not find anything for me or parents... but maybe something for my brother... but less than $100 for an insurance refund.

But, he will probably go after it...
Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #7

When I first started this venture, the first mention of the $$ amt. was less than $100. I must have really earned some interest in the meantime.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #8

Deceased uncle, ex husband, and a cousin have something out there. Will be interesting to see if/how it pans out.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
When I first started this venture, the first mention of the $$ amt. was less than $100. I must have really earned some interest in the meantime.

I didn't think they earned interest.... that is why the state wants to hold them.. they get the float...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I got $25 a year back from WA -- apparently some refund from my alma mater sent to my very old address years after I graduated. I didn't really know what it was for, but got the check fairly easily from the state.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #11

Texas Proud...could be. I just know that when I first looked at the list it showed <$100, so I was really surprised and happy when the state presented me with over a thousand. Happy as a clam.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #12

When the link was posted some time back in another thread (THANK YOU!!), I found that the Commonwealth of Virginia was indeed holding funds for my maternal grandmother ....and while they won't tell you "how much", I can only hope that my time will be well spent and that I'm not going thru the motions for $10.....

I may have a problem in that when she died, she left everything to my Mom....then Mom died and left everything to me.....so I took it upon myself to duplicate the paperwork ~ sending in everything requested for BOTH my grandmother and Mom....and then there is "the kicker"....

While I was technically the only heir, it was only because my brother was disinherited (in the will)....and then I also have two step-brothers....neither of which is addressed in the will.....sooooo....here I sit and wait.....

I sent in the paperwork about two to three weeks ago and have yet to hear anything....wish me luck !!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm waiting for a check from NY State on a stock I thought went bankrupt. It was about getting oil out of shale - I took the tax write off years ago. Found money - priceless.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #14

My Grandmother is on the list.........thanks for the link.

Awhile back a nerby town's local newspaper published a list and I noticed the name and childhood address of a friend's sibling. I mentioned to them and they passed the info along. Next time I saw them, I asked if they had followed up and got this reply:
"No........he's afraid to contact them because he has lots of parking tickets and they don't have a current address for him!"
Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #15

I am happy to report that I have just been notified that "my claim has been approved" and that I can expect a check for the funds being held

The process here in Virginia was rather painless other than having to provide the necessary information twice ~ once on my Grandmother and then again for my Mom (everything left from Grandmother to Mom to Me)....and then they didn't even ask me to do that.....I was just hoping that I had guessed correctly and that they would eventually need that info too....

A very heartfelt THANK YOU for this posting; otherwise, I would not have thought to check for such an opportunity....now if I only had an idea as to just how much it might be ....although anything is better than nothing, huh?

Thanks again!!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #16

Yes, thank you for the link! I checked and to my surprise my name was on the list...apparently for some $$ left over from one of my first forays into investing in a mutual fund recommended by my father when I was in my early 20s.

I don't know how much I'm due -- I'm thinking maybe $50 -- but the paperwork wasn't that much of a hassle and it's fun checking the mailbox for my soon-to-be-reclaimed bounty!

Thanks again - I wouldn't have thought to check if not for your post!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have a new Doctor, so I Googled his name and the only thing that came up for him was that the state of MN had $202.56 for a guy with his name waiting to be claimed.

It will be the first thing that I discuss with him at my next (first?) appointment.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM   #18

Glad this worked out for some folks here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I have a new Doctor, so I Googled his name and the only thing that came up for him was that the state of MN had $202.56 for a guy with his name waiting to be claimed.

It will be the first thing that I discuss with him at my next (first?) appointment.
That will certainly make an impression. bet you will be able to get quick appointments in the future when you are feeling poorly.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

DW did this 4 months ago.

$1700 check just received from a Wisconsin malpractice carrier who was overcharging. Some of this money was more than 15 years overdue with lots of interest included. We had to show the deed and closing documents for our Wi house.

You gotta love the internet.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #20

Does anyone have an idea how or how much in taxes will be paid on these unclaimed amounts?