Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post

So it would seem if the mini-tank's capacity is less than some X times of the amount of the "slug" of cold water due to sitting in the pipes cooling off from the main heater, then the faucet water temperature profile versus time will be:
Hot -> Cold-> Hot

If the mini-tank's capacity was many times the amount of the slug, then it would seem that even with cold pipe water mixing in for the short while, there would be enough hot water stored in the mini-tank to mix in with and minimize the cooling effect of the input slug.

I'm just thinking as I'm typing...
Agreed. I would expect the temperature of a small tank to drop pretty quickly as the cold water mixes. You get significant stratification in a large tank, very little in a small tank like that, with those kinds of flows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Are you doing this to conserve water or save money? If it's to save money I doubt you'll ever re-coop the cost of whatever system you choose. ...
This too. I sometimes think of doing something like this in our bathroom, and like pb4uski mentioned, it could be improved with a mixing valve (you could keep the little tank set at a higher temp, therefore increasing its effective capacity).

But then I think abut all this, and I decide that occasionally waiting a minute for some hot water isn't really that big a hardship.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
....But then I think abut all this, and I decide that occasionally waiting a minute for some hot water isn't really that big a hardship....
True, its in the "nice problem to have" category in the whole scheme of things, but in my case we also have a well and septic system so the water that flows into the drain while i'm waiting for the hot water to arrive is coming from my well (no big deal since I have plenty of water) and going into my leachfield (could be a bigger deal at some point).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
We have the grundfos comfort system, but to back-fit it into an existing home, you'll need to make a change to your piping - something called a direct return.
Grundfos makes them for either new construction with a return line, or existing construction where the existing cold and hot water lines are used. The product number for existing construction is 595916 and can be seen here on Amazon Grundfos 595916 1/25 Horsepower Comfort Series Recirculator Pump - Amazon.com
Bob Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I think this is the hot ticket - hot water pretty much instantly at ALL points for the cost of keeping hot water in the pipes and some minimal pumping. Wonder if the cost isn't equal to the cost of having a couple gallons of hot sitting under the sink in a poorly insulated container. It was suggested to me when we did our place a dozen years ago - didn't do it, I just adjust what I'm doing to match the temperature changes.
Exactly, hot water everywhere, extremely compact, not much if any parts needed to install, and simple enough to do so that you can eliminate the high priced labor.
Bob Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

New sink in, plenty of room for a mini-tank now:

My measurements show that I get hot water from the whole-house heater after 1.5 gallons flow through the faucet. So, for the first 1.5 gallons, I'll get hot from the mini, then from the main. When done, the mini will have hot water in it, so it will never have to heat up cold water.

I'm starting a new thread to get advice on which one to purchase.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

But will you end up getting hot water from the mini followed by lukewarm water from the pipes between the mini and the whole house heater and then hot water from the whole-house heater?

Or will the lukewarm water and hot water from the mini be mixed together?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote