Understanding Deer

Preditor pee or other scent deterants don't last long in the NW, too much rain.

Some farmers swear that scattering human hair along the perimeters of a field will deter deer. Doesn't sound like fun, but they'll actually gather hair from the local barber shop.

This is a pic of what happens when deer bite off the top of a newly formed ear of corn. As it matures it turns into what farmers call an "artichoke".
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=63746

I was reading on an Ag forum about farmers having to apply for some kind of special permit to thin the deer. This was in Nebraska or Iowa I think. They posted pics of damage done to a corn fields. It looked pretty significant.

Iowa allows it. Here in the eastern side of Iowa in the metro I'm in, there is an area hunters can go into to kill deer freely--but it has to be in that area specifically. I think it's a wildlife park all the deer hang out in. So many deer here in this metro that they want to thin them out as they're causing problems for too many folks.

Some farmers swear that scattering human hair along the perimeters of a field will deter deer. Doesn't sound like fun, but they'll actually gather hair from the local barber shop.

This is a pic of what happens when deer bite off the top of a newly formed ear of corn. As it matures it turns into what farmers call an "artichoke".
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=63746

Human hair did not work for me at all.

As for corn, Iowa is corn country/John Deer land. No wonder they hate the deer here.

As for corn, Iowa is corn country/John Deer land. No wonder they hate the deer here.

Yup....my little place is on the opposite side of your state on the Missouri river.

I think you have to have a rep from the DNR come out and confirm that deer are causing enough of a problem financially to allow thinning of the herd.

Some of the combine yield moniters in my area will drop from 200 bu./acre to 80 when they get into the deer damaged areas of the field.

The one thing I've seen that will consistently run off deer are feral hogs. When hogs show up the deer run off like crazy.

texas-feral-hog-regulations.jpg

But they are incredible nuisances in their own right, and will destroy more stuff than deer can. Maybe you can buy the scent somewhere.

The one thing I've seen that will consistently run off deer are feral hogs. When hogs show up the deer run off like crazy.

texas-feral-hog-regulations.jpg

But they are incredible nuisances in their own right, and will destroy more stuff than deer can. Maybe you can buy the scent somewhere.

I'd take the deer over feral hogs... here in AZ we have javelina- which are eating everything in the yard- even prickly pear cactus, spines and all.

Back
Top Bottom