Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlighten View Post
The largest and most ubiquitous was that against the old. It is both common and accepted. People will use anecdotes and stereotypes to maintain and reinforce it even though false. The truth is people don't like old people and don't want to work with them and so make up stories about why it must be the case, but they only do so to justify their discrimination.
This seems particularly bad in the USA. Some other countries and cultures have great respect for their elders. Here, it seems as though you become professionally "outdated" somewhere around 40, women who don't look like teenagers anymore aren't considered attractive, and the frail and elderly are often forgotten in nursing homes.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I don't understand is why the age discrimination in the work place (corporations) for the older folks while we have had presidents who are very old? How about supreme court judges?
Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ages are 54, 88, 72, 72, 69, 60, 75, 70 and 58.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I think it must be awful to be 50-something and work in the tech field. I had a brief encounter with a 20-something computer tech guy who was giving my laptop a tune up recently. Arrogant little snot. For no reason at all apparently except that he was impatient with customers. Fortunately, he did an excellent job, so I would likely put up with him again.
I'm 50-something and work in the tech field. I FIREd two years ago because a new CEO came in and it was clear instantly that he bought into all the stereotypes of older workers - low energy, no aptitude for new technologies, no enthusiasm for change... Except for a couple of administrative staff, everyone over 50 is now gone.

Luckily not everyone is this biased. A couple of months later I got a request from a former customer to do some short term part-time consulting. Two years later I'm still there and they appreciate the advantages that experience brings. I was worried about the transition to more hands-on work but it has been fun and energizing. It's also very freeing not to be management. I like the idea that I'll completely retire with a sense of going out at the top of my game rather than being pushed out.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

dead men walking

Start your own business! I'm serious. You can never be fired. In 2006, I purchased a small service-based business, incorporated, and hired myself. I am 63 years old, and just got a "raise." The business is thriving. I am treated like a queen at the bank(s).

As I progress, I plan to hire older people who have the knowledge and social skills to bring in new customers; and, can relate to the over 50 crowd. Anyone under 40 need not apply for positions that require wisdom, kindness, and patience. The younger people (including my grown children - whom I love dearly) can work in the gardens!

Antmary!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
Oh man, this looks bad, I may lose my position as the chief towel and sheet boy at the Chicken Ranch.

Gee and after I've made all these good friends, and the tips are good too.

Jug
Wonder if a fella at my age could get a rough job like that. Im real good at holding towels.... and sheets..
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlighten View Post
The largest and most ubiquitous was that against the old. It is both common and accepted. People will use anecdotes and stereotypes to maintain and reinforce it even though false. The truth is people don't like old people and don't want to work with them and so make up stories about why it must be the case, but they only do so to justify their discrimination.
Well said. I'd be interested in seeing that study, if you have a link.

On another point, that young people still need mentors to guide them. I wonder if the young people realize this. Recently, after my new grandson was born, I realized that my son and his wife were getting all their baby raising info from their peers and the Internet. My many years of experience, it appeared, were outdated, except when they need me to babysit.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Recently, after my new grandson was born, I realized that my son and his wife were getting all their baby raising info from their peers and the Internet. My many years of experience, it appeared, were outdated, except when they need me to babysit.
This is priceless I have no doubts your grandson will benefit from his time with you!
Old 03-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well said. I'd be interested in seeing that study, if you have a link.
The study was reported by Steven Levitt in his book Freakonomics. It focused on how contestants on The Weakest Link treated each other. No racial or sex based discrimination was detected, but informational discrimination against hispanics and taste based discrimination against the old was. Informational meant they were discriminated against until they proved themselves, while taste based meant they were discriminated against even after they proved themselves.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I watched a program on HBO some years back about "the making of the SI swimsuit issue". There was a guy, and I'm not making this up, who had a large make-up brush, and was dusting the sand off the model's butts. Why can't I get THAT job..?
Because you can't afford it!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Start your own business! I'm serious. You can never be fired. In 2006, I purchased a small service-based business, incorporated, and hired myself. I am 63 years old, and just got a "raise." The business is thriving. I am treated like a queen at the bank(s).

As I progress, I plan to hire older people who have the knowledge and social skills to bring in new customers; and, can relate to the over 50 crowd. Anyone under 40 need not apply for positions that require wisdom, kindness, and patience. The younger people (including my grown children - whom I love dearly) can work in the gardens!

Antmary!
Hi Antmary! May I ask, what kind of service business is it?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #71

This is why I intend to pull an Unclemick without having to live on a shrimp farm/fish camp. The next 5-7 years I'll still be able to skate by on my young looks and drive. After that, I'm sure all the work will catch up with me, and I'll be spotted as an old fart.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Oxymoron...

I watched a program on HBO some years back about "the making of the SI swimsuit issue". There was a guy, and I'm not making this up, who had a large make-up brush, and was dusting the sand off the model's butts. Why can't I get THAT job..?
For expedience, you would think a hand is faster...
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
This is why I intend to pull an Unclemick without having to live on a shrimp farm/fish camp.
How about being the Capt. of a shrimpin' boat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bubba gump.jpg (32.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
How about being the Capt. of a shrimpin' boat?
As long as you promise that life is like a box of chocolates.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
As long as you promise that life is like a box of chocolates.
This I can easily promise...you never know what you're gonna get