Join Early Retirement Today

Unemployed boomers -- "dead men walking" says CNBC
Old 03-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unemployed boomers -- "dead men walking" says CNBC

So I'm watching the On the Money show last night on CNBC with carmen and some schmoo co-anchor says that the unemployed boomers he has seen look like "dead men walking." His advice is for them to drink some coffee before the interview, lose 20 pounds and convince the 20-something HR person that they are up-to-date, energetic, and can keep up with said 20-something co-workers.

Not only are laid off people suffering the huge losses in their retirement fund but also the loss of employment. And this jerk says they should go on a diet and act like they can be 25 again.

Is there no respect for maturity? No appreciation for experience?
Another person on the panel said, "Well, if you were a 20-something HR person would you want to hire your parent?"

They also said that boomers need to realize that they are not on top anymore. I guess that means you need to suck up to your 20-something interviewer. Please. That doesn't work anyway. I tried it.

The worthless SOB is Tyler Mathisen. He comes on at about 7:10. He is pond scum.

Rob Rosner is the one who said boomers were "dead men walking" at about 9:19 on the video.

They also said that boomers should downsize their resume. Hide their achievements. What a world!!!

Here's an video of the show. http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1053874954&play=1

Ok. Thanks for reading my rant. I had to let it out.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #2

Sorry Oldbabe but that is pretty much the reality. This is essentially my biggest reason for wanting to be prepared to FIRE...I am 90% sure that I would not be able to get employment (too skilled, too high of a pay history, over-qualified....read all of those 'just plain old'). Doesn't matter if I'm willing to do a lesser skilled and/or lower paid job. In today's world economy I don't know if I would retire as early as I want, just so I could keep a foot in the game, but if I ever get shoved, I feel I will probably be done/FIREd. I'm FI at a modest level now but want a little more sweetener (not to mention a little economic stability in the world) before I RE.

R
Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I am 90% sure that I would not be able to get employment (too skilled, too high of a pay history, over-qualified....read all of those 'just plain old'). Doesn't matter if I'm willing to do a lesser skilled and/or lower paid job.
Sadly, this is largely true. I know darned well that if I lost my current job, I couldn't get another one for half of what I earn now -- one-third, maybe.

I know that. I accept that. But hiring managers and HR types won't. I couldn't possibly be happy with that pay, and I'd surely leave as soon as other opportunities came up. At least that's what they'll rationalize.

And I feel like that's going to get me rejected immediately in the "new economy."

Hence the feeling that I need about 62,000 years of income in my emergency fund. I suppose my "nuclear option" is going back to school and becoming a math/computer teacher. Though maybe even THAT occupation -- typically in short supply -- might become a crowded field if this keeps up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I laughed right out loud at the "Just For Men" hair-coloring commercial that shows a Dad with a college-bound son using the product to "Get Back in the Game" to pay for his son's college tuition. It seemed so cheesy to me, but I guess there's similar sentiment out there.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #5

Rambler, I thought that someone would reply that "is pretty much the reality." I know it's the reality. My rant is that it's WRONG. You don't kick someone when they're down. You respect your elders. A Darwinian world may be the reality in nature. But we are human. We can make a choice to be kind. That doesn't mean you give priority to a boomer over a 20 something. But you treat them with respect and that means that you give them credit for their experience and you don't expect them to downsize their resume.

Ziggy, there are school districts that will hire you outright without a certificate. I know that New Orleans is recruiting people like you at this moment. You could also substitute immediately where you live right now.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #6

There is something here that doesn't add up to the "invisible hand".
If older folks are more productive, then they should be sought after in proportion to their marketplace value. I know what you are all saying about age and fortune 500.
Probably has something to do with future potential of an oldster 10 years out vs a youngster. If the small business hasn't folded in 10 years it will be defying the odds. If an ambitious youngster stays in one place for 10 years, that too is defying the odds. The oldsters have many advantages. They just need better marketing.

They can kiss my a## with their "dead man walking" stuff. Boomers have always had to compete with each other for scarce resources. We will continue to compete.

Free
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ziggy, there are school districts that will hire you outright without a certificate. I know that New Orleans is recruiting people like you at this moment. You could also substitute immediately where you live right now.
Teach in a N.O. School? Life is too short!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

What is totally amazing is that the Mega Corp leaders are not clear with the doe eyed HR babies. Get the tried and true talent that is willing to work for a more modest wage. Many have more training, skills and real experience as well as a work ethic. They are excellent value if they have their own (other mega-corp insurance) to boot! They show up on time, know where, when and why to take shortcuts and deliver superior products and customer service. Also, you never have to do a grooming/attire check in advance of client meetings.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
So I'm watching the On the Money show last night on CNBC with carmen and some schmoo co-anchor says that the unemployed boomers he has seen look like "dead men walking."
Another good reason not to ever turn on CNBC (as if I needed another reason).
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Hence the feeling that I need about 62,000 years of income in my emergency fund. I suppose my "nuclear option" is going back to school and becoming a math/computer teacher. Though maybe even THAT occupation -- typically in short supply -- might become a crowded field if this keeps up.
The local public university just announced that they are laying off all adjunct professors.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
They can kiss my a## with their "dead man walking" stuff. Boomers have always had to compete with each other for scarce resources. We will continue to compete.

Free
What a disappointment to hear that. I thought you guys all passed the doobie back the '60s. There goes another one of my idealistic views of the world. Idealistic view count = 0 now.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The HR folks (and the people in the office with the vacancy) have some valid concerns when an older/more experienced worker applies for a vacancy. The technology/info collaboration tools being used in many offices puts a high premium on not only knowing the present suite of applications/tools, but readily understanding and rapidly applying new ones. These talents are more prevalent in younger workers, so an older person has an uphill battle to show he/she is going to be able to do it. And, this is not something that is easy to discern in a quick interview.
Secondly, I've seen many folks with a lot of management/supervisory experience apply for jobs that are more hands-on work (writing, analyzing, etc). Frankly, it is very hard for some of these people to step back from the "chief" role and be an "indian" again, and even those who are motivated and willing to do the "scutt work" once more often just can't perform as well as they would like (again--often due to the technology changing).

Still, there are experienced, talented older workers out there who are lookign for jobs, and the businesses who hire them will be at a competitive advantage.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
The local public university just announced that they are laying off all adjunct professors.

OMG! We, all of us, are truly in a desparate condition now! Anyone who has ever been an adjunct professor knows how universities use them as cheap labor to substitute for hiring and replacing FT faculty. Whole departments, such as English and foreign languages, could not exist without adjuncts! That a university could be in such poor financial straits to lay off adjuncts means that they will shortly go bankrupt and close their doors.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
What a disappointment to hear that. I thought you guys all passed the doobie back the '60s. There goes another one of my idealistic views of the world. Idealistic view count = 0 now.

LOL!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe he said we had to compete for scarce resources. We shared the abundant ones just fine.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Salary and benefits, but must supply own body armor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Teach in a N.O. School? Life is too short!
Life would be short...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh man, this looks bad, I may lose my position as the chief towel and sheet boy at the Chicken Ranch.

Gee and after I've made all these good friends, and the tips are good too.

Jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not only are laid off people suffering the huge losses in their retirement fund but also the loss of employment. And this jerk says they should go on a diet and act like they can be 25 again.
The sad truth is that people hire people like themselves. It would take an unusual manager to hire someone much older than them with possibly more experience.

All the general prejudices found in the general public are found in the workplace.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Rambler, I thought that someone would reply that "is pretty much the reality." I know it's the reality. My rant is that it's WRONG. You don't kick someone when they're down. You respect your elders. A Darwinian world may be the reality in nature. But we are human. We can make a choice to be kind. That doesn't mean you give priority to a boomer over a 20 something. But you treat them with respect and that means that you give them credit for their experience and you don't expect them to downsize their resume.

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you. But, what is ideal and what is real are not always the same. So, I try to change what I can, understand what is real (that I have little or no power to change) and learn to adapt myself to fit into that situation. That means preparation...that's what I'm doing now.

R