Unemployment~How is your State doing?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
SD is winning and NV is pulling up the end @ 13.4%. How long can this mess last?

Regional and state unemployment rates were generally little changed in August.
Twenty-six states and the District of Columbia reported unemployment rate increases,
12 states recorded rate decreases, and 12 states had no rate change, the U.S. Bureau
of Labor Statistics reported today. Thirty-seven states registered unemployment rate
decreases from a year earlier, 11 states and the District of Columbia had increases,
and 2 states experienced no change. The national jobless rate was unchanged at 9.1
percent but was 0.5 percentage point lower than a year earlier.

Table A. States with unemployment rates significantly differ-
ent from that of the U.S., August 2011, seasonally adjusted
--------------------------------------------------------------
State | Rate(p)
United States (1) ...................| 9.1
|
Alaska ..............................| 7.7
California ..........................| 12.1
Delaware ............................| 8.1
District of Columbia ................| 11.1
Florida .............................| 10.7
Georgia .............................| 10.2
Hawaii ..............................| 6.2
Iowa ................................| 6.1
Kansas ..............................| 6.7
Louisiana ...........................| 7.2
|
Maine ...............................| 7.6
Maryland ............................| 7.3
Massachusetts .......................| 7.4
Michigan ............................| 11.2
Minnesota ...........................| 7.2
Montana .............................| 7.8
Nebraska ............................| 4.2
Nevada ..............................| 13.4
New Hampshire .......................| 5.3
New Mexico ..........................| 6.6
|
New York ............................| 8.0
North Carolina ......................| 10.4
North Dakota ........................| 3.5
Oklahoma ............................| 5.6
Pennsylvania ........................| 8.2
Rhode Island ........................| 10.6
South Carolina ......................| 11.1
South Dakota ........................| 4.7
Texas ...............................| 8.5
Utah ................................| 7.6
|
Vermont .............................| 5.9
Virginia ............................| 6.3
Wisconsin ...........................| 7.9
Wyoming .............................| 5.8
1 Data are not preliminary.
p = preliminary.

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

How long can this last? A long time, IMHO.

I'm not going to get political (since I truly believe that all parties have a hand in this) but a lot has to do with the structural change of the economy over the last 20-30+ years.

The requirements of education (even to obtain an entry level job - if there is one) have increased and the cost of obtaining that education has contributed to the problem, along with the debt occurred. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, that degree will only get you a minimum wage j*b - if you're lucky.

The fact that global sourcing/manufacturing over the last 20-30 years means that the jobs will flow to those countries that have minimum job skills at a low cost. The idea that you could have a basic education (e.g. high/technical school) and enter the work world and make a living has past. Those j*bs have been outsourced to other countries, in most circumstances.

People (yes, you and me) will continue to buy at low cost providers, such as Wally-World (Sam is probably rolling in his grave, while he promoted "made in America" during his watch).

The U.S. is still (for the time being) a major producer of technology/ideas, but to deliver on those ideas require a manufacturing base at a cost that can support production - something the U.S. is sorely lacking.

And for me, the idea that it's "all about me" that seems so prevalent in today's (e.g. U.S.) society has set expectations beyond what can be delivered upon. Just look at the trash on TV, that exposes what one "should/must have" just to be considered "normal" (e.g. HGTV, Jersey Shore, Housewives of "X").

As being born in the late 40's, raised in the 50's where I was lucky to have a roof over my head and enough to eat, I've been satisfied (along with my DW, who was raised in the same conditions) and learned to be happy with just the basics.

Today? People expect and demand more. However, the U.S. will not be able to deliver on that request under current conditions.

Just my $.02 on your question.

And for me, the idea that it's "all about me" that seems so prevalent in today's (e.g. U.S.) society has set expectations beyond what can be delivered upon. Just look at the trash on TV, that exposes what one "should/must have" just to be considered "normal" (e.g. HGTV, Jersey Shore, Housewives of "X").
I just took a look at some of the current TV trash, to see if this is right. Well, it's just shocking -- is all I can say.

North Dakota ........................| 3.5

Clearly, we should all strive to emulate North Dakota.
north-dakota.bmp

Back
Top Bottom