Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, non, non! Only 2 nights, a day, and part of 2 days.

I agree on the one-strike-and-you're-downstairs rule. For all of them!
{snip}
In that case, you might want to buy some extra waterproof pads (see my other message) for your brother and his companion!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Those metal dog crates usually have a slide-out tray on the bottom to protect the floor. We keep our Shih Zhu in one when we leave for errands (he's dying and sometimes looses control). As others have suggested, a plastic mat on the floor covered by a blanket and/or cushions will make the dog comfortable.

Terriers are mean and territorial, and naughty episodes in the strangers house are to be expected. We had one and it was a terror. Sounds like your guest to be also has separation anxiety if it whines and acts up when people leave the room. Should be a thrill at night!

At least it's only for a few days. Maybe the vet can provide tranquilizers, or a few sips of Camomile tea should calm the pooch down at night.

Good Luck!

_B

Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Why doesn't he have a collapsible crate that has a bottom with a removable pan in it? That's what we use. We are about to be visiting a number of people with our rather nervous dog, including a Homeaway stay, and we expect to be able to take control of the situation. Our dog only barks if someone comes to the door or if he is playing with another dog though. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a dog, but it seems odd that Amethyst is expected to provide all the paraphernalia required to ensure the integrity of her property. My suggestion would be to have a discussion with DB about the optimal ways to protect the floors and to request that he bring the necessary gear.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #25

Unexpected Guest - a Dog (Long)

I am so glad Calico mentioned the adult incontinence pads! I ordered a dozen of them a while ago on her recommendation, and they are awesome!
I think asking him to bring a crate, not a pen, is reasonable. If he doesn't have one, they are not expensive on Craigslist if he is okay with a used one.
I rarely take my dogs to places, and am conscious of the house rules when I do. And it seems counter intuitive, but I don't like when other people bring dogs to my dog-saturated house either. Too many risks of trouble with either the dogs or the cats.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am not sure which would upset me more . The dog or the girlfriend you never met . My SO's sons would pop in with strange girlfriends we had never met or did not know they were coming . At least with a dog there are crates .
Old 12-25-2015, 05:01 AM   #27

A lot of auto parts stores will sell shallow plastic pans to put under cars that drip oil. One of those sized to fit the crate would protect the floor. Your brother could take it with him so he's covered for other visits. I saw a plastic one on Amazon for $10 so relatively inexpensive compared to carpet or wood flooring. Just a thought, hope you enjoy the visit otherwise.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:04 AM   #28

I have a dog and would not impose like that even with family. Seems he could put it in a nearby kennel for a few dollars.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
Why doesn't he have a collapsible crate that has a bottom with a removable pan in it? That's what we use.
A few weeks ago I bought the largest folding crate I could find on Amazon for about $60 with free shipping. It is about 30" X 48" , totally enclosed with 2 doors, a plastic slide out tray that covers the floor, and folds flat. Some towels or carpet to sleep or pee on and he is good to go.

Maybe something your brother should invest in before taking the dog on vacation with him and staying in other folks homes and/or motels.

Cheers!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #30

I like the drop cloth idea. And put an old floor mat on top of the drop cloth if the dog rips up the drop cloth.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Concur with the plastic drop cloth, plus make sure your brother takes the dog out for a walk frequently.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #32

At least you got notice. My late wife's uncle and aunt told us they were coming, but did not mention they were bringing their dog
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #33

Did I ever tell you about my uncle, the elephant trainer? Well.....one holiday......

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #34

Why can't they just kennel the dog like other people do? Although some people like to think of their pets as "family", they're not family to everyone...they're just animals.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Did I ever tell you about my uncle, the elephant trainer? Well.....one holiday......
Old 12-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Some people consider that family should welcome family into their homes...whether it be adults at various stages of life, kids, or pets. I was treated to a photo of the dog running free in the seemingly nice home of the girlfriend's daughter, where they are staying before visiting us. So, the GF's family are nice to the dog, while Amethyst's family are mean and expect it to stay in a box?

I don't know why my brother is being cheap about kennels. Who knows, maybe they are planning a trip around the world and will need money!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Why can't they just kennel the dog like other people do? Although some people like to think of their pets as "family", they're not family to everyone...they're just animals.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I would never impose my dog, or any other animal, on my friends unless I knew they wanted the animal at their house. Just like I would never take a screaming 8 month old into a restaurant an ruin other's experience. And, if an animal came between being with my family/friends and myself, the animal would be history.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Some people consider that family should welcome family into their homes...whether it be adults at various stages of life, kids, or pets. I was treated to a photo of the dog running free in the seemingly nice home of the girlfriend's daughter, where they are staying before visiting us. So, the GF's family are nice to the dog, while Amethyst's family are mean and expect it to stay in a box?

I don't know why my brother is being cheap about kennels. Who knows, maybe they are planning a trip around the world and will need money!

Amethyst
Kennels may require additional vaccinations that the dog may not have. That said I'd never impose my dog as a guest in someone else's home. I do think that the pen augmented by a plastic sheet is a safe approach. We have a similar pen that we have used on occasion and also use an old comforter which can be washed in case of an accident. I also believe that all dogs should be crate-trained. Unless there is something wrong with the dog, once an adult and crate-trained, it should be able to be in the crate overnight as long as they have a decent walk outdoors before going in and immediately after being taken out of the crate. It also helps not to let the animal fill up on water prior to going in the crate. Of course that means the owner must take responsibility for a late night walk as well as an early morning one.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Walks should be both long and frequent. 45 minutes out of every hour should do it!
Old 12-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Walks should be both long and frequent. 45 minutes out of every hour should do it!
Were you a dog in a previous life?

Tags
dog, house guests, relatives visiting