Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Unexpected Guest - a Dog (Long)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unexpected Guest - a Dog (Long)

I am the youngest of 3 aging siblings, who rarely see each other. We invited my widowed older brother to spend Christmas with us.

He countered with a request to stay for a couple of nights after Christmas, along with his new girl friend (whom we hadn't known about)...and his dog (whom we have met, in the dog's home). They will stop on their way back from meeting the GF's family. They have several places in our area they want to visit while staying in our house..

Although a bit taken aback, I said yes to both extra guests. However, we're concerned about this particular dog and I thought the forum folks may have some ideas. Note: This is not about defending or attacking DOGS per se. We have dog friends, though no pets of our own just now.

My brother says that while in our house, the dog will be in a folding metal wire pen (no bottom). Our house has all hardwood/carpeted floors upstairs, so the dog would be directly on the carpet or wood. My recollection is that this dog is the nervous type, who had a couple of "accidents" in his pen while we were visiting my brother a few years ago. So I offered to put the pen in the basement, where the floor is bare after our plumbing leak this summer. The basement is heated, and I'd put down an old rug inside the pen, and an electric heater near the pen.

My brother said that wouldn't do. The dog needs to see people, or he will cry. Bottom line, he expects the dog to stay upstairs in his wire pen where the dog can see people (although that is an illusion - since we are hardly ever in just one room) He claimed the dog is better trained, now, and won't have any accidents.

I suppose some folks would advise us to put the dog's interests first, while others would say to tell my brother that we'll either do things our way in our house, or don't stay with us at all. The problem is that I do want to see him. I don't dislike this dog; I just don't want it to be in a position where it might urinate on our wood or carpet floor.

Is there any win-win way to handle this?

Thanks,

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Plastic drop sheet?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Put a shower curtain and the old rug under the crate, upstairs.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I would just politely smile and say "No, not in my house. He will stay in the basement, or perhaps there is a local kennel facility that will do".

I think he is asking too much of you. But then, I guess I'm a bit of a rebel.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Put down a couple of larger pads for this purpose. Depends or similar.

Also set up streaming TV with old lassie episodes. Jk!
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Put a shower curtain and the old rug under the crate, upstairs.
+1 something plastic, to catch any liquids should an "accident" happen (or perhaps some cardboard, or both) and an old piece of carpet on top so the pooch can be comfortable (and won't scratch your floors) would seem to be a win-win.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking of dropcloths, myself. We have quite a few from our last painting episode!

I did get the impression that Poochie might get let out of his pen to run around the house. We will have to put all 4 of our own feet down on preventing that. I also recall that this particular little fellow (he's a rescue, part rat terrier) barks at everyone and everything. So I get a lot of Good Sister points on this one, and plan to cash them in at some point...

A.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Another idea is take him to a dog park to run with the real dogs. Lots of lessons to be learned.

If he does have accident in house, it is very convenient to have something in place that absorbs and can be rolled up for quick disposal.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Valium, works for nervous dogs and captive family.

You have good people skills, have no doubt you'll find the right boundaries for family and pets.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #10

Were it me I'd bounce between saying NO! and being accommodating, depending on how much the relationship and the floors mean to you. He's asking for a lot considering you expressed your well-founded concern about damaging floors or carpeting. And surprising you with the GF and the request for a months-long stay would be irritating to me. If the dog does stay upstairs agree with the others with on using an old rug/carpet on top of plastic sheet like a shower curtain or painter's drop cloth.

And one accident and the dog is either downstairs or in a kennel. No negotiation on that.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Oh, non, non! Only 2 nights, a day, and part of 2 days.

He wouldn't want to stay here for months, anyway. He has his own nice house to live in.

I agree on the one-strike-and-you're-downstairs rule. For all of them!

We will walk the dog while they are out [and wipe his muddy paws before he comes back in].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
the request for a months-long stay would be irritating to me.

And one accident and the dog is either downstairs or in a kennel. No negotiation on that.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I would put plastic or something like this under the crate

https://www.chewy.com/dog/simple-sol...FVJufgodldMAOg

Our dog never goes in the house and is very Pavlovian about her potty duty. Put her outdoors and within seconds she is doing her business! I don't have the same issues/concerns about scratches on the wood floor, as I feel that is what floors are for. We have solid oak floors and if/when they need to be resanded, then I will resand them. Until then I feel between my shoes and visitor and the dog well the floor can take it!

But I think a pad or two like this or a piece of plastic with an old rug on top. I would however put it on the wood floor as opposed to the carpet.

Have a fun visit with your brother too!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, non, non! Only 2 nights, a day, and part of 2 days.
Oops, my bad for not reading/comprehending what you wrote.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #14

Agree with dropcloth and a towel or carpet under the crate. Our dog is crate trained and it's his place of security... he hangs out in there (with the door open) to nap during the day.

Walks will tire him out and calm him down and serve as a way of showing the dog you're alpha... which is a good thing. It will make the dog less nervous. I'd avoid dog parks if you don't know how the dog reacts with other dogs. My dog was hyper when we first got him - but multiple walks a day have made him a very mellow dog.

Good luck!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I second the plastic and rug remnant comments.

Most dogs I've had would likely have one "accident" in a new house. Thus I would allow two, before going to the mat (so to speak) on putting dog downstairs. A little mess doesn't seem worth a big stink in the family (pun intended).

Had a similar incident with my brother. Over a period of two years his dog had nipped all of my family while we visited at his home. He came over for a night and brought the dog. I drew the line-telling him why-and the dog stayed in his car or on a leash while in the house.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Late to this thread but after reading the title I have to ask, what does the length of the dog have to do with your problem?
Old 12-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Late to this thread but after reading the title I have to ask, what does the length of the dog have to do with your problem?
Have you ever seen what a Saint Bernard leaves behind?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Hahahahahaha. My brother in law brought his dog over for a few days visit. It was perfectly trained. As soon as it came in, it lifted it's leg and peeed on my newly recovered ottoman. Then they would feed it outside, as soon as it came in the house, it would vomit on my carpet!!!! gotta love family
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
I would put plastic or something like this under the crate

https://www.chewy.com/dog/simple-sol...FVJufgodldMAOg

{snip}
I think these disposable pads are a good idea. Perhaps use them in combination with one of the products below?

Washable Tartan Underpad
Waterproof Sheet Protector

A few years ago I had an elderly, semi-incontinent cat (the beauty in my avatar). She had health problems which occasionally resulted in her not making it to the litter box in time - it wasn't her fault.

She slept in my bed every night, so I purchased one of the waterproof sheet protectors shown in my second link above, and placed it between her and the bedsheets. It did the trick perfectly on the rare occasions when she had an accident and "leaked" a little.

One benefit to the waterproof pads shown in the links is that they are easily thrown in the washing machine (a little easier than, say, washing a plastic shower curtain).

I found the waterproof pads by searching for "adult incontinence products " on Amazon. Figured it was good research for the future, if nothing else!

I do admire your willingness to go the extra mile to accomodate your brother AND his unexpected guest AND his furry companion.

Have a wonderful holiday, and here's hoping both your sibling relationship and your nice floors emerge unscathed at the end!
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I would just politely smile and say "No, not in my house. He will stay in the basement, or perhaps there is a local kennel facility that will do".

I think he is asking too much of you. But then, I guess I'm a bit of a rebel.
Agree. I'm a dog lover and I never ask to bring my dog to a person's house for an over night stay. That's asking a lot. I will take mine tomorrow on a family gathering out of town, but my dog was invited too. They all know my pooch and they are dog people so its all good.

Tags
dog, house guests, relatives visiting