Join Early Retirement Today

Unfreezing Credit Reports
Old 12-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfreezing Credit Reports

DH and I are in our new winter home and trying to get set up with Dish TV. They told us they use Equifax to check credit, so I went online and lifted the freeze for two days. No go with Dish, they said they couldn't get to my credit records then tell me that sometimes the other credit bureaus are used. So I lifted the Experian and Transunion freezes also for two days. We waited a couple hours for the freeze lifts to process, at last check still a no go. Is this unusual?

I've talked with Equifax twice on the phone today, they assure me the freeze is temporary lifted. I can't find phone numbers for the other two that has a real person to talk to.

calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
No experience, but I put fraud alerts on our accounts as don't want to pay to freeze/unfreeze everytime some stupid company feels they need a credit check.

Are you paying to unfreeze these accounts ?

Can't the dish company simply have you pay a few hundred in advance instead of a credit check ?

Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ask them if they can do an automatic payment via a credit card or bank account. That should satisfy their concern about getting paid and a credit check shouldn't be required. I know every auto bill pay I've ever set up circumvented a credit check.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I temporarily lifted the credit freeze last week on all 3 (for 1 week) without any problems. For Equifax, I talked to the rep who lifted it. For the other two, I lifted them online.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a bit of bad luck. I lifted all three briefly three times and had no problems.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there an easy way to confirm that a freeze is in place?

I put Equifax (only) 'in the freezer' after their security breach, and received the pdf with the pin. That was 30+ days ago, and so far I haven't received any further communication or confirmation of the freeze.

This is in contrast to the fraud alert I initially placed after the security breach. For that I received a notice in the mail.

I suppose I could call them, but don't want to waste my time on hold...
plsprius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plsprius View Post
Is there an easy way to confirm that a freeze is in place?

I put Equifax (only) 'in the freezer' after their security breach, and received the pdf with the pin. That was 30+ days ago, and so far I haven't received any further communication or confirmation of the freeze.

This is in contrast to the fraud alert I initially placed after the security breach. For that I received a notice in the mail.

I suppose I could call them, but don't want to waste my time on hold...
They tell you when you freeze online that there will be nothing mailed to you. The PDF is the confirmation.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Too bad there was not an independent way to actually confirm Equiflub really put a freeze in place, since they are so trustworthy !
Old 12-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have frozen and removed same several times without problem.
Has everyone put a freeze on the DW account also. Recently I check each bureau if freezes were in place only to find the wife was missing on Trans.That was a surprise.
I have also begun to ask the creditor who they use to check. And then open only that service for review.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I think many of us are chasing ghosts on this issue...... There currently are four "credit reporting" entities. Equifax, Experian, Transunion and Innovis. And there is nothing to stop a fifth, sixth, or a seventh entity from starting up operations and even more competitors can start up after that. There is NO centralized control of this information, and there are NO laws governing the capture and storage of someone's personal information. My suggestion is to just ignore this noise. Freezing your credit report will NOT stop a hacker from getting into those files. A hacker generally will not "try to turn the doorknob on the front door" to see if it's locked!!!
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
I think many of us are chasing ghosts on this issue...... There currently are four "credit reporting" entities. Equifax, Experian, Transunion and Innovis. And there is nothing to stop a fifth, sixth, or a seventh entity from starting up operations and even more competitors can start up after that. There is NO centralized control of this information, and there are NO laws governing the capture and storage of someone's personal information. My suggestion is to just ignore this noise. Freezing your credit report will NOT stop a hacker from getting into those files. A hacker generally will not "try to turn the doorknob on the front door" to see if it's locked!!!
So what in your opinion should we do to protect our identity? Do nothing and hope for the best?

I've had my credit report frozen with the three major bureaus for over 7 years and have not yet been a victim of identity theft. So far it has worked for me.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflotomny View Post
Has everyone put a freeze on the DW account also. Recently I check each bureau if freezes were in place only to find the wife was missing on Trans.That was a surprise.
If you're concerned about your wife's credit information you need to put a freeze on her report independent of yours.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
So what in your opinion should we do to protect our identity? Do nothing and hope that for the best?

I've had my credit report frozen with the three major bureaus for over 7 years and have not yet been a victim of identity theft. So far it has worked for me.
Many have never frozen and not had ID theft. To see if freezing makes a positive difference we need data from a large number of people.

Freezing your credit requires providing identifying information, possibly adding new personal info to the hackable database.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post

Freezing your credit requires providing identifying information, possibly adding new personal info to the hackable database.
When I froze my credit identifying information was requested, but it seemed to me this was for the purpose of verifying my identity, and was being matched with information they already had. I did not provide any information that I would not expect the credit reporting agency to already possess. So, I don't believe that freezing process added to risk in this respect.

I have unfrozen my credit to lease a car and had no issues.
happy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Many have never frozen and not had ID theft. To see if freezing makes a positive difference we need data from a large number of people.

I was a victim of identity theft about 10 years ago and I don't want to take a chance of going through it again by waiting for a large data sample.

From the limited data sample of my friends, family members and acquaintances who had their credit frozen, no one has been a victim of identity theft.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

[QUOTE=Corporateburnout;1974976]I was a victim of identity theft about 10 years ago and I don't want to take a chance of going through it again by waiting for a large data sample.

My belief is that freezing your credit is a no brainer for the vast majority of people. Upside is potentially enormous and very small downside.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

It just royally sucks that in some States, you have to pay to freeze and unfreeze your account each time.
What a nice benefit the credit companies get for not handling the data they stored

In IL each action for each credit company costs $10, so unfreeze 3 is $30, want it frozen again $30.
Total of $60 everytime some company says "we want to know if you can pay for this"...
Old 12-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It just royally sucks that in some States, you have to pay to freeze and unfreeze your account each time.
What a nice benefit the credit companies get for not handling the data they stored

In IL each action for each credit company costs $10, so unfreeze 3 is $30, want it frozen again $30.
Total of $60 everytime some company says "we want to know if you can pay for this"...
Agree completely, it should be free. How the credit reporting companies get away with charging you to make sure they handle your information in a secure way is beyond me!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #19

In our state it only cost $5 for a transaction with a time limit. So you can unfreeze it for a week for $5. A small price to pay for peace of mind.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy8 View Post
When I froze my credit identifying information was requested, but it seemed to me this was for the purpose of verifying my identity, and was being matched with information they already had. I did not provide any information that I would not expect the credit reporting agency to already possess. So, I don't believe that freezing process added to risk in this respect.

I have unfrozen my credit to lease a car and had no issues.
Right.