Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingme View Post
The article is interesting but I found the few comments on the article to be even more interesting.

Not unlike the recent USA Today article Best Places to Retire for Longevity - US News. I consider all of these articles misleading unless I get see the actual details of the survey, what and HOW the questions were asked.

To quote Benjamin Disraeli, “there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.” As everyone knows 35% of all statistics are are 95% correct 67% of the time.
Yes and there is also this description of statistics: Statistics are like a bikini. What they conceal may be more important than what they reveal. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Interesting to see on the list that the place we live (Shreveport-Bossier City, LA) is shown as number 3 of happiest cities.
Something that I've been thinking about is that the authors grouped data, such as Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir NC, and the result is #179 out of 318 metro areas.

Is the grouping for your area valid? I think so, as you came out #3.

I'll have to look for the raw data.

This is a link to the BRSS page at CDC, if anyone is interested in where the data comes from.
CDC - BRFSS - Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System

Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #23

Looking closely at the map, I see that I lived the bulk of my life in one of the dense red clusters. I never saw it that way, though I did leave for better weather and more natural beauty. I could have lived out my life in the heartland and been happy (I'm writing this from that area right now.) Still, at old Megacorp, we could NOT keep transplants. I can't recall a single transplanted person saying how much they liked anything other than their j*b (if that). Our turnover was incredible - even though Megacorp had a reputation as a decent employer. We attempted to address the issues (lack of a "gene" pool for singles, lack of entertainment, lack of hiking, biking, boating, etc. etc.) Not much could be done though I give Megacorp credit for trying (creating their own nature preserves for hiking, giving free tickets to events, supporting community projects and getting folks involved - e.g., Habitat, etc. - supporting cultural events, etc. etc. I never saw the problems, myself, but listening to transplants complain about "nothing to do", I could see their point of view.

Now I live in a major blue dot (and BLUE state as well!). The only complaints I hear are economic and traffic. Anyone who can't find something to do is seriously mobility-challenged or just lazy. So maybe that's a part of what the study is finding, even if it isn't specifically addressed. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Something that I've been thinking about is that the authors grouped data, such as Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir NC, and the result is #179 out of 318 metro areas.

Is the grouping for your area valid? I think so, as you came out #3.

I'll have to look for the raw data.

This is a link to the BRSS page at CDC, if anyone is interested in where the data comes from.
CDC - BRFSS - Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
No way of knowing, I guess. For what it's worth, it hasn't been all that long that I read or heard that the same area (Shreveport) was one of the UNHAPPIEST cities...lol. Take your pick, I suppose.

By the way, I was just in Hickory NC, & Hudson, NC, just up the road from there, last week with my mom. Nice area, really close to the mountains. Visited relatives in Hudson.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #25

Would the happy cities' homeless population be lower than unhappy cities?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
No, they just have happier homeless people.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Interesting to see on the list that the place we live (Shreveport-Bossier City, LA) is shown as number 3 of happiest cities.
Louisiana has 6 out of 10 of those happiest city spots. Must have something to do with all that great food and the music.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #28

Maybe it correlates with alcohol consumption.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
If you're referring to my #19 post, that was a poor attempt at humor. The temperature in Rochester MN. is very cold, so not many street dwellers.

I don't believe there is a connection between number of homeless and happiness, unless you happen to be the unfortunate homeless person.

Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
If you're referring to my #19 post, that was a poor attempt at humor. The temperature in Rochester MN. is very cold, so not many street dwellers.

I don't believe there is a connection between number of homeless and happiness, unless you happen to be the unfortunate homeless person.

Sorry for any confusion.
Rochester, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rochester has been positive on several lists over the years.
Major employers are Mayo Clinic and IBM.
Not too far from Minneapolis, in case you need something from the BIG city.
Sounds great!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My metropolitan area is above average. I'd buy that. Still, how do I get to be happier? Surely, the people in Louisiana have food to help them towards that state, although I suspect the humidity there would knock a few points off for me.

I was reminded of Emeril Lagasse, who was constantly saying "Happy! Happy!" as he cooked his dishes on TV. Thus, I looked up his recipe for Jambalaya as shown below from FoodTV. I shall be making that soon.

Cajun Jambalaya Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network
Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Maybe it correlates with alcohol consumption.
Nah..New Hampshire is the top dog in that category and I believe 5 out of the 6 New England states are in the top 20.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My metropolitan area is above average. I'd buy that. Still, how do I get to be happier? Surely, the people in Louisiana have food to help them towards that state, although I suspect the humidity there would knock a few points off for me.

I was reminded of Emeril Lagasse, who was constantly saying "Happy! Happy!" as he cooked his dishes on TV. Thus, I looked up his recipe for Jambalaya as shown below from FoodTV. I shall be making that soon.

Cajun Jambalaya Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network
I don't know if anybody bothers to click at the above link to see how Emeril did his Jambalaya there, but I usually brown the meat first before cooking the rice. In the recipe above, the meat is added after the rice has been partially cooked.

And even stranger is another recipe by Emeril where he did it what I call the usual way, i.e. brown the meat first before adding the rice. I do not know what to make of that.

Andouille and Chicken Jambalaya Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Either way, "Happy! Happy!" (Photo linked from: http://www.emerils.com/121423/cajun-jambalaya).

Old 08-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

NC where we live is pretty happy too. Wouldn't move here for the weather but at least we have 4 seasons. :-)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by omysteve View Post
NC where we live is pretty happy too. Wouldn't move here for the weather but at least we have 4 seasons. :-)
Interesting comment. I met a couple from Asheville, and their complaint was 40's at night, too cold. Must be a wide range of temperatures since the state reaches from mountains to the ocean.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Interesting comment. I met a couple from Asheville, and their complaint was 40's at night, too cold. Must be a wide range of temperatures since the state reaches from mountains to the ocean.
Winter temps can get down into the teens anywhere in the state, but I don't think it's as harsh the further east you get. We live in the "triangle" (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) area, pretty nice here.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
No, they just have happier homeless people.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

Sorry for any confusion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
No, it was my attempt at humor.