Unhappy Cities

The article is interesting but I found the few comments on the article to be even more interesting.

Not unlike the recent USA Today article Best Places to Retire for Longevity - US News. I consider all of these articles misleading unless I get see the actual details of the survey, what and HOW the questions were asked.

To quote Benjamin Disraeli, “there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.” As everyone knows 35% of all statistics are are 95% correct 67% of the time. ;)

One interesting this is that almost all of those "happy cities" are in Cajun country. Cajuns emphasize family, food, and fun. They are not big on many of the things that standard issue Americans hold dear.

Ha

I live in the middle of a big red dot (unhappy), no argument from me.
I plan to move to a happier place chosen from my field tested short list. :)

Last edited:
One interesting this is that almost all of those "happy cities" are in Cajun country. Cajuns emphasize family, food, and fun. They are not big on many of the things that standard issue Americans hold dear.

Ha

Sort of the same thing happens in WV - we're right next to a big blue dot, lumps together DC, MD, VA, WV.

Somehow I wonder if the researchers could have confused "smug" with "happy." My general impression of our area is that people are far too driven and competitive to be happy.

Amethyst

Sort of the same thing happens in WV - we're right next to a big blue dot, lumps together DC, MD, VA, WV.

Somehow I wonder if the researchers could have confused "smug" with "happy." My general impression of our area is that people are far too driven and competitive to be happy.

Amethyst

I've wondered the same thing. I know for a fact that there are a lot of stressed-out people in DC. I used to be one of them.

Funny CO. is all happy faces. :)

It's odd also, we're in a neutral metro area. Just North of here is an unhappy place. I had a buddy tell me what an armpit the city was, as he made an emergency stop there last week. I asked for more detail, his explanation was 'not enough new genes in the pool'.

I moved from a "most happy" place to a "least happy" place 2 years ago. I am not sure I see it.

Unfortunately, access to the original survey is fee based. Nonetheless, from the article
The survey asks one particularly relevant question of about 300,000 Americans every year: “In general, how satisfied are you with your life?” The possible answers: very satisfied, satisfied, dissatisfied, and very dissatisfied
Now I'm pretty sure that in NYC many of the surveyed population give a response that's not any of the 4 listed and doesn't fit in a traditional range of "happiness". I would classify them as happy in their grumpiness, culturally unable to acknowledge it to a stranger.

Sounds like they could use some of those central American kids - New genes for sure!

Funny CO. is all happy faces. :)

It's odd also, we're in a neutral metro area. Just North of here is an unhappy place. I had a buddy tell me what an armpit the city was, as he made an emergency stop there last week. I asked for more detail, his explanation was 'not enough new genes in the pool'.

10 Happiest Cities

Now explain to me how Rochester, MN got mixed up with all those happy southern cities?:confused:

Rank Metro area State

1 Lafayette LA
2 Houma LA
3 Shreveport-Bossier City LA
4 Baton Rouge LA
5 Alexandria LA
6 Rochester MN
7 Corpus Christi TX
8 Lake Charles LA
9 Nashville TN
10 Gainesville FL

Unfortunately, access to the original survey is fee based. Nonetheless, from the article
Now I'm pretty sure that in NYC many of the surveyed population give a response that's not any of the 4 listed and doesn't fit in a traditional range of "happiness". I would classify them as happy in their grumpiness, culturally unable to acknowledge it to a stranger.
Search for the name of the study. I did find it available. It was too much like Stat class...

The study takes data from yearly CDC survey...at least I think I recall it was CDC.

Ha
One of the comments at bottom of article page proposed the LA has a large number of extended families. This means an individual's support network is right at hand. The food is incredible, too.

10 Happiest Cities

Now explain to me how Rochester, MN got mixed up with all those happy southern cities?:confused:

Rank Metro area State

1 Lafayette LA
2 Houma LA
3 Shreveport-Bossier City LA
4 Baton Rouge LA
5 Alexandria LA
6 Rochester MN
7 Corpus Christi TX
8 Lake Charles LA
9 Nashville TN
10 Gainesville FL

It used to be one of the highest paid areas, not sure today. There are two major employers there the Mayo and IBM. Lots of highly talented, skilled workers.

The city is pretty neat, they have walking "subways" inside. No need to walk outside in the downtown area. Very quaint. Rent a car there in the winter they give you an ice scrapper and show you how to plug the block heater in.

There's not a lot of homeless in the winter months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Here is a link to the "Unhappy Cities" study, publicly available from Harvard.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/inequality/Seminar/Papers/Glaeser14.pdf

The following equation sums up happiness in a way that I can only hope to understand one day.

PBn4QT+mtXlV3qqVxQWk3Xj3gNn76KS33vcpxp1oaF5R249UDboYHFQBQBk0LAFAGTQsAUAZNCwBQBk0LAFDGH1nV9v49nXWVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 10
I see many very happy people also live in Mississippi. I met a few while living in CA and they were all "happy" not to be there. Maybe only the disgruntled ones left.

Interesting to see on the list that the place we live (Shreveport-Bossier City, LA) is shown as number 3 of happiest cities. :)

The article is interesting but I found the few comments on the article to be even more interesting.

Not unlike the recent USA Today article Best Places to Retire for Longevity - US News. I consider all of these articles misleading unless I get see the actual details of the survey, what and HOW the questions were asked.

To quote Benjamin Disraeli, “there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.” As everyone knows 35% of all statistics are are 95% correct 67% of the time. ;)

Yes and there is also this description of statistics: Statistics are like a bikini. What they conceal may be more important than what they reveal. YMMV

Interesting to see on the list that the place we live (Shreveport-Bossier City, LA) is shown as number 3 of happiest cities. :)
Something that I've been thinking about is that the authors grouped data, such as Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir NC, and the result is #179 out of 318 metro areas.

Is the grouping for your area valid? I think so, as you came out #3.

I'll have to look for the raw data.

This is a link to the BRSS page at CDC, if anyone is interested in where the data comes from.
CDC - BRFSS - Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System

Looking closely at the map, I see that I lived the bulk of my life in one of the dense red clusters. I never saw it that way, though I did leave for better weather and more natural beauty. I could have lived out my life in the heartland and been happy (I'm writing this from that area right now.) Still, at old Megacorp, we could NOT keep transplants. I can't recall a single transplanted person saying how much they liked anything other than their j*b (if that). Our turnover was incredible - even though Megacorp had a reputation as a decent employer. We attempted to address the issues (lack of a "gene" pool for singles, lack of entertainment, lack of hiking, biking, boating, etc. etc.) Not much could be done though I give Megacorp credit for trying (creating their own nature preserves for hiking, giving free tickets to events, supporting community projects and getting folks involved - e.g., Habitat, etc. - supporting cultural events, etc. etc. I never saw the problems, myself, but listening to transplants complain about "nothing to do", I could see their point of view.

Now I live in a major blue dot (and BLUE state as well!). The only complaints I hear are economic and traffic. Anyone who can't find something to do is seriously mobility-challenged or just lazy. So maybe that's a part of what the study is finding, even if it isn't specifically addressed. YMMV

Something that I've been thinking about is that the authors grouped data, such as Hickory-Morganton-Lenoir NC, and the result is #179 out of 318 metro areas.

Is the grouping for your area valid? I think so, as you came out #3.

I'll have to look for the raw data.

This is a link to the BRSS page at CDC, if anyone is interested in where the data comes from.
CDC - BRFSS - Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System

No way of knowing, I guess. For what it's worth, it hasn't been all that long that I read or heard that the same area (Shreveport) was one of the UNHAPPIEST cities...lol. Take your pick, I suppose.

By the way, I was just in Hickory NC, & Hudson, NC, just up the road from there, last week with my mom. Nice area, really close to the mountains. Visited relatives in Hudson.

Last edited:
Would the happy cities' homeless population be lower than unhappy cities?

Back
Top Bottom