Unhappy - feeling pressured

If you are new to being a landlord, understand that 70% of your applicants will have bad credit by the way. You usually have to go through a few applications to get a good one.
Not if you clearly state in the ad that applicants must have excellent credit and remind them of this on the phone before even showing them the place. Some effort put into this type of pre-qualification can significantly reduce the amount of work you need to do to find a good tenant. IMO, it's well worth doing this. Why waste time with people you wouldn't want to rent to anyway?

We see lots of "service dogs" in the local supermarket. All breeds. Almost none of them with any kind of vest or identification. The clerks tell me that they are not allowed to ask anything about the animal or the reason except "Is that your service dog?" If the person says yes, then they cannot ask anything else. If the person says no, then they can explain that the store hygiene policy does not allow animals.

I believe the federal law also allows you to ask "what tasks are he/she trained to do?". That would possibly trip up the less prepared scammers, at least the first time they are asked. Especially since the Disability Act section that talks about service animals differentiates between task trained service animals and therapy or anxiety animals. But that's just splitting hairs, and I suspect a clerk that pushed it would be have a better chance of losing their job than the dog would have of being ejected.

This. He is rationalizing his low credit score (which is probably even lower) and wanting you to tell him if you will contact his references and previous residence? Never mind the dog, this screams deadbeat and $$ to get rid of (when they claim you are discriminating against the service dog).

We are on our 4th sweet and dumb cocker and they all could use their own service dog--not the breed anyone would want for a service animal.

BINGO. This screams of scam... trying to appeal to you via every trick in the book -- from legalease to successful business person... it's bullshit to me. I would reject them on what ever grounds you can find that are legal. Last thing you want is someone enjoying your beach front condo and not paying rent... let alone having their (stupid) cocker spaniel pp regularly on the new floor. As the move says....Run, Forrest...Run.

the Disability Act section that talks about service animals differentiates between task trained service animals and therapy or anxiety animals. But that's just splitting hairs, and I suspect a clerk that pushed it would be have a better chance of losing their job than the dog would have of being ejected.

I suspect that local stores have also adopted a policy that takes absolutely no risks of excluding anyone who might come back and sue them. As they described it to me, they were instructed by their bosses to ask nothing except the one question and to make no followup if told it was a service animal, no matter how absurd or incongruous the answer. Even if told it was not a service animal and the story changed as soon as the animal was asked to leave. As soon as the person says "service animal" they are allowed to have an animal in the store, whether the animal is performing any service or not.

Sounds like the blowhard that skipped town in the middle of the night on my parents place :) We were wondering where they would land :)

It's even worse, I really had no idea people did this and how it impacts legitimate service dogs. Bestwifeever thanks for posting thst link.

I've turned in a coworker for parking in disabled parking. The girl justified her actions with 'it's not like anybodys using that parking'. OMG, when the girl later resigned from Megacorp, I asked HR to term her that day and pay her for the two weeks. She was so happy, she didn't know the policy, when Megacorp did that, she became ineligible for rehire. I'm sure life has many more lessons for her.

MRG

Good for you!! :dance:

I see way too many people using a family member or friends hang card to park in disabled parking. They actually admitted this to me. I also see people using the space with diagonal lines meant for wheel chairs being used as a cart return area. :mad: Occasionally I even see motorcycles parking there. If improperly used those areas can also result in a fine.

I'm looking into a local program that trains civilians to issue tickets for illegally parking in disabled spaces.

Cheers!

This thread is certainly an eye opener. It is a sad state of affairs when an American just trying to run an honest business must live in such fear of litigation, but unfortunately that is the reality.

Total scam - REJECT or regret! If you need more info on service dogs vs therapy/companionship dogs, check out any major airline's website.

BINGO. This screams of scam... trying to appeal to you via every trick in the book -- from legalease to successful business person... it's bullshit to me. I would reject them on what ever grounds you can find that are legal. Last thing you want is someone enjoying your beach front condo and not paying rent... let alone having their (stupid) cocker spaniel pp regularly on the new floor. As the move says....Run, Forrest...Run.

Hey, my cockers never ever pp'd on the floor and only we owners get to call them dumb (not stupid :)).

OP should not even mention the "service animal" at all, only the low credit score, in rejecting this prospective tenant.

Anybody who lies, and says their pet is a service animal when it's not, should be beaten so badly that afterwards, they DO need one.

I can't stand people gaming the system for their own selfish purposes. Some people just need an ass-kicking, pure and simple.

Anybody who lies, and says their pet is a service animal when it's not, should be beaten so badly that afterwards, they DO need one.

I can't stand people gaming the system for their own selfish purposes. Some people just need an ass-kicking, pure and simple.

+1 to that and other situations... Its all about Law and order to me.. We have plenty if not too many laws, it's the "order" part that needs to be upgraded. That's where your viewpoint comes into to play!

RUN!

I owned a house in Polk County Fl as an "investment" back in the 80's. The RE agent is interested in getting their commission. The people she put in the house were savages. I spent thousands each time someone left (and they never stayed long) due to purposeful destruction of walls, carpets, toilets, you name it and they ruined it . Try and evict them, the damage they do out weighs any deposit! The house was empty more than rented. Total disaster and I sold it at a loss after 4 or 5 years. Being an absentee landlord is not for everyone. YYMV.

Being a [-]n absentee[/-] landlord is not for everyone.

Fixed it for you. I am not a fan of real estate. Well, let me re-state that. The real estate isn't the problem, it's the humans who live there. And I use the word humans loosely.

+1

The credit report on both applicants came back in the low 500's. This is the first time in 11 years that this management company has even seen fit to send me a credit report.

How should I respond - I mean, yeah, "No way," but I am uncomfortable that all-of-a-sudden they seem incapable of rejecting an obviously unsuitable tenant. Is there a more "considered" response I could make?

Thanks,

Amethyst

That is a low score. As many have said before in this thread, the low credit score alone is the only reason you need to reject them. Have you seen the full credit reports? I don't concern myself so much with the actual score as the details of the history i.e. I like to see a variety of different types of accounts, all of which have been paid on a regular basis. More than the occasional missed payment is cause for disqualification in my book.

As you are still unsure, why not have a word with your management company over the phone or in person? As you've been working with them for so long, I assume you have developed a good working relationship and some kind of understanding with them.

Last edited:
You could always deny his application based on his low credit score... No need to address the dog issue at all.

+1

You can deny housing based on non discriminatory factors. Credit issues plus some shady sounding stories trigger a little alarm in my head.

I would tell the management company that this has been a learning experience for you and from now on you want a credit report run on any tenant they are seriously considering renting the apartment to. This will help protect both your interests and theirs, since they would have to do a lot of extra work to deal with an unreliable tenant.

I'd also be VERY glad the score came back that low -- totally legit reason to reject them.

The credit report on both applicants came back in the low 500's. This is the first time in 11 years that this management company has even seen fit to send me a credit report.

How should I respond - I mean, yeah, "No way," but I am uncomfortable that all-of-a-sudden they seem incapable of rejecting an obviously unsuitable tenant. Is there a more "considered" response I could make?

Thanks,

Amethyst

Clearly the management company is wanting you to make the decision. They are covering their own behinds on this so you don't come back on them later when it doesn't work out. (Hint, hint.)
And they are giving you every reason to say "No".

No "considered" response other than "No" is needed IMHO.

+1 to that and other situations... Its all about Law and order to me.. We have plenty if not too many laws, it's the "order" part that needs to be upgraded. That's where your viewpoint comes into to play!
What's happened to common decency? This thread has ruined my interest in real estate. Completely. I'll stick to REITs, thank you very much.

Fake service dogs? Fake disability? Karma/God/Reincarnation or someone's gonna get you. This is despicable.

And about the law thing. One thing we rely on lawyers to do is to be the first line of defense in "conforming to the requirements of the law" (straight from my state's Bar preamble) or just being ethical, decent and professional in civil matters. I don't want to get into details, but we're in the middle of some real estate activity and what the other party's lawyer is doing is maddening. My lawyer had to take the other lawyer to the woodshed.

What has happened to people?

What's happened to common decency? This thread has ruined my interest in real estate. Completely. I'll stick to REITs, thank you very much.

Fake service dogs? Fake disability? Karma/God/Reincarnation or someone's gonna get you. This is despicable.

And about the law thing. One thing we rely on lawyers to do is to be the first line of defense in "conforming to the requirements of the law" (straight from my state's Bar preamble) or just being ethical, decent and professional in civil matters. I don't want to get into details, but we're in the middle of some real estate activity and what the other party's lawyer is doing is maddening. My lawyer had to take the other lawyer to the woodshed.

My respect goes out to landlords, as they either have to have balls of steel, or be very fortunate in who their tenants are. My friends and father who have been landlords would deal with the craziest situations, excuses, and stupidity. I had one friend who before he finally got the person evicted had to resort to threats to get him to pay. He would flat out tell the loser he was going to get paid this month one way or the other. Either by his check, or buy the insurance company with his toasted body in the burnt up house.
Until the last 15 years or so, I have always rented as I moved around too much. The rent money was the first bill paid out of my check as I believed that to be the most important. I always paid on time. And guess what, I always got my deposit back and was treated fairly in return at every place I rented. Now many people view the rent payment as discretionary paid only after smokes, booze, cable, and phone bill are paid. For some reason, this infuriates me, and I don't even have a dog in this hunt.

Thanks,

Amethyst

Amethyst,

Your management company is giving you the reason to reject; the credit score, while carefully not telling you to reject on that basis and instead focusing on talking about non-discrimination housing law. This makes any communication between them and you squeaky clean and proper if it were to be brought up in a court of law. They are covering their own butts as well as yours. The more I think about it the more I think they are handling it in just the right way. A proper squeaky clean response from you would be " this tenant is rejected - low credit score". The niggling bit is that your company has never sent you a credit report before in the years they've managed for you, so that would be uncomfortable if brought up in court, but it won't go that far IMO.

You are rejecting on a reasonable basis, and it costs too much to sue just on the hope of a win when the evidence is stacked against you. Don't let this sit too long.

You shouldn't let this ruin your interest. It seems many people have bad things to say, but I've been a Landlordd for 27 years, and it's been the best investment I've done.

My Rental agent screens prospective Tenants using employment verification, former Landlords references a credit check etc.

The last few times I've rented to former homeowners that were divorced etc. and didn't want to pay the high mortgage payments. And these people have a respect for your property because they were owners. My tenants are all coming up on 4 years and have been great.

I also only accept electronic payment to a bank account I've setup. Also try to find Accountants, engineers and professional people. Skip the young girls just out of college and the guys in construction.

As you are still unsure, why not have a word with your management company over the phone or in person? As you've been working with them for so long, I assume you have developed a good working relationship and some kind of understanding with them.

I'm with Major Tom on this one. You need to be talking to them on the phone. Some things are just better suited for verbal discussion. Also, if you say something on the phone, only the NSA will know. If it's in an email, it stays around forever. I suspect they are just CYA'ing, and want you to do the rejecting, because of the service dog scam. So you can tell them that in the future you don't even want to hear about a possible tenant unless their credit score is x (I'm not sure what an acceptable but weak score is anymore. Maybe 650?).

Try searching for terms like

credit score below 600 rent

From sfgate.com -

"Typically, a credit score of 620 or above will allow you to obtain an apartment lease with relatively little trouble. Apartment leasing sources say that credit scores lower than 620 receive a "high risk of default" rating along with a leasing denial."

What Is a Good Credit Score for Renting an Apartment? | Home Guides | SF Gate

"A score below 600 indicates a bad credit risk, while a score above 700 is considered good credit."

Your credit score may be the key to rental unit - Chicago Tribune

If seems like most leasing agents and landlords would probably not rent to a couple with credit scores in the low 500s, improbable cocker spaniel service dog and next big thing carpet venture or not. Just go with the credit score.

Back
Top Bottom