Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Anybody who lies, and says their pet is a service animal when it's not, should be beaten so badly that afterwards, they DO need one.

I can't stand people gaming the system for their own selfish purposes. Some people just need an ass-kicking, pure and simple.
+1 to that and other situations... Its all about Law and order to me.. We have plenty if not too many laws, it's the "order" part that needs to be upgraded. That's where your viewpoint comes into to play!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RUN!

I owned a house in Polk County Fl as an "investment" back in the 80's. The RE agent is interested in getting their commission. The people she put in the house were savages. I spent thousands each time someone left (and they never stayed long) due to purposeful destruction of walls, carpets, toilets, you name it and they ruined it . Try and evict them, the damage they do out weighs any deposit! The house was empty more than rented. Total disaster and I sold it at a loss after 4 or 5 years. Being an absentee landlord is not for everyone. YYMV.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Being a n absentee landlord is not for everyone.
Fixed it for you. I am not a fan of real estate. Well, let me re-state that. The real estate isn't the problem, it's the humans who live there. And I use the word humans loosely.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Anybody who lies, and says their pet is a service animal when it's not, should be beaten so badly that afterwards, they DO need one.

I can't stand people gaming the system for their own selfish purposes. Some people just need an ass-kicking, pure and simple.
+1
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

The credit report on both applicants came back in the low 500's. This is the first time in 11 years that this management company has even seen fit to send me a credit report.

How should I respond - I mean, yeah, "No way," but I am uncomfortable that all-of-a-sudden they seem incapable of rejecting an obviously unsuitable tenant. Is there a more "considered" response I could make?

Thanks,

Amethyst
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #66

That is a low score. As many have said before in this thread, the low credit score alone is the only reason you need to reject them. Have you seen the full credit reports? I don't concern myself so much with the actual score as the details of the history i.e. I like to see a variety of different types of accounts, all of which have been paid on a regular basis. More than the occasional missed payment is cause for disqualification in my book.

As you are still unsure, why not have a word with your management company over the phone or in person? As you've been working with them for so long, I assume you have developed a good working relationship and some kind of understanding with them.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
You could always deny his application based on his low credit score... No need to address the dog issue at all.
+1

You can deny housing based on non discriminatory factors. Credit issues plus some shady sounding stories trigger a little alarm in my head.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I would tell the management company that this has been a learning experience for you and from now on you want a credit report run on any tenant they are seriously considering renting the apartment to. This will help protect both your interests and theirs, since they would have to do a lot of extra work to deal with an unreliable tenant.

I'd also be VERY glad the score came back that low -- totally legit reason to reject them.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The credit report on both applicants came back in the low 500's. This is the first time in 11 years that this management company has even seen fit to send me a credit report.

How should I respond - I mean, yeah, "No way," but I am uncomfortable that all-of-a-sudden they seem incapable of rejecting an obviously unsuitable tenant. Is there a more "considered" response I could make?

Thanks,

Amethyst
Clearly the management company is wanting you to make the decision. They are covering their own behinds on this so you don't come back on them later when it doesn't work out. (Hint, hint.)
And they are giving you every reason to say "No".

No "considered" response other than "No" is needed IMHO.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
+1 to that and other situations... Its all about Law and order to me.. We have plenty if not too many laws, it's the "order" part that needs to be upgraded. That's where your viewpoint comes into to play!
What's happened to common decency? This thread has ruined my interest in real estate. Completely. I'll stick to REITs, thank you very much.

Fake service dogs? Fake disability? Karma/God/Reincarnation or someone's gonna get you. This is despicable.

And about the law thing. One thing we rely on lawyers to do is to be the first line of defense in "conforming to the requirements of the law" (straight from my state's Bar preamble) or just being ethical, decent and professional in civil matters. I don't want to get into details, but we're in the middle of some real estate activity and what the other party's lawyer is doing is maddening. My lawyer had to take the other lawyer to the woodshed.

What has happened to people?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
What's happened to common decency? This thread has ruined my interest in real estate. Completely. I'll stick to REITs, thank you very much.

Fake service dogs? Fake disability? Karma/God/Reincarnation or someone's gonna get you. This is despicable.

And about the law thing. One thing we rely on lawyers to do is to be the first line of defense in "conforming to the requirements of the law" (straight from my state's Bar preamble) or just being ethical, decent and professional in civil matters. I don't want to get into details, but we're in the middle of some real estate activity and what the other party's lawyer is doing is maddening. My lawyer had to take the other lawyer to the woodshed.

My respect goes out to landlords, as they either have to have balls of steel, or be very fortunate in who their tenants are. My friends and father who have been landlords would deal with the craziest situations, excuses, and stupidity. I had one friend who before he finally got the person evicted had to resort to threats to get him to pay. He would flat out tell the loser he was going to get paid this month one way or the other. Either by his check, or buy the insurance company with his toasted body in the burnt up house.
Until the last 15 years or so, I have always rented as I moved around too much. The rent money was the first bill paid out of my check as I believed that to be the most important. I always paid on time. And guess what, I always got my deposit back and was treated fairly in return at every place I rented. Now many people view the rent payment as discretionary paid only after smokes, booze, cable, and phone bill are paid. For some reason, this infuriates me, and I don't even have a dog in this hunt.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Thanks,

Amethyst
Amethyst,

Your management company is giving you the reason to reject; the credit score, while carefully not telling you to reject on that basis and instead focusing on talking about non-discrimination housing law. This makes any communication between them and you squeaky clean and proper if it were to be brought up in a court of law. They are covering their own butts as well as yours. The more I think about it the more I think they are handling it in just the right way. A proper squeaky clean response from you would be " this tenant is rejected - low credit score". The niggling bit is that your company has never sent you a credit report before in the years they've managed for you, so that would be uncomfortable if brought up in court, but it won't go that far IMO.

You are rejecting on a reasonable basis, and it costs too much to sue just on the hope of a win when the evidence is stacked against you. Don't let this sit too long.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

You shouldn't let this ruin your interest. It seems many people have bad things to say, but I've been a Landlordd for 27 years, and it's been the best investment I've done.

My Rental agent screens prospective Tenants using employment verification, former Landlords references a credit check etc.

The last few times I've rented to former homeowners that were divorced etc. and didn't want to pay the high mortgage payments. And these people have a respect for your property because they were owners. My tenants are all coming up on 4 years and have been great.

I also only accept electronic payment to a bank account I've setup. Also try to find Accountants, engineers and professional people. Skip the young girls just out of college and the guys in construction.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
As you are still unsure, why not have a word with your management company over the phone or in person? As you've been working with them for so long, I assume you have developed a good working relationship and some kind of understanding with them.
I'm with Major Tom on this one. You need to be talking to them on the phone. Some things are just better suited for verbal discussion. Also, if you say something on the phone, only the NSA will know. If it's in an email, it stays around forever. I suspect they are just CYA'ing, and want you to do the rejecting, because of the service dog scam. So you can tell them that in the future you don't even want to hear about a possible tenant unless their credit score is x (I'm not sure what an acceptable but weak score is anymore. Maybe 650?).
Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Try searching for terms like

credit score below 600 rent

From sfgate.com -

"Typically, a credit score of 620 or above will allow you to obtain an apartment lease with relatively little trouble. Apartment leasing sources say that credit scores lower than 620 receive a "high risk of default" rating along with a leasing denial."

What Is a Good Credit Score for Renting an Apartment? | Home Guides | SF Gate

"A score below 600 indicates a bad credit risk, while a score above 700 is considered good credit."

Your credit score may be the key to rental unit - Chicago Tribune

If seems like most leasing agents and landlords would probably not rent to a couple with credit scores in the low 500s, improbable cocker spaniel service dog and next big thing carpet venture or not. Just go with the credit score.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Also, if you say something on the phone, only the NSA will know.
The NSA, only government agency that still listens. - from a T-shirt
Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Amethyst,

Your management company is giving you the reason to reject; the credit score, while carefully not telling you to reject on that basis and instead focusing on talking about non-discrimination housing law. This makes any communication between them and you squeaky clean and proper if it were to be brought up in a court of law. They are covering their own butts as well as yours. The more I think about it the more I think they are handling it in just the right way. A proper squeaky clean response from you would be " this tenant is rejected - low credit score". The niggling bit is that your company has never sent you a credit report before in the years they've managed for you, so that would be uncomfortable if brought up in court, but it won't go that far IMO.

You are rejecting on a reasonable basis, and it costs too much to sue just on the hope of a win when the evidence is stacked against you. Don't let this sit too long.
+1 - Calmoki is right on! These days I only rent to those with 700+ credit rating....

As a seasoned Landlady, I have had oodles of unbelievable situations & scams pulled & days in court on evictions. Fortunately, when a problem crops up, my eviction attorney gives free advice -- which has been a god send. I have even gotten tenants out who were on a long Lease and pay rent on time - Its all in how you deal with the situation with legal guidance. They also counseled me on the "service animal" situation. Maybe your rental company can recommend an eviction attorney in the area -- they often give free advice if you are uncertain about how to deal with a situation. They are also up to date on recent court decisions that create new obligations in addition to what is stated in Landlord Tenant law.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Yep, you seem to have a perfectly valid reason to not rent to these people.

How to Read Your Credit Score
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #79

If you are paying the property manager, they work for you. You shouldn't have to explain to them why you would deny a tenant....they should do their job based on the criteria you give them. I had a property manager when I lived overseas.....he asked if I would look into renting to Section 8 people - I said no...turns out the last tenant he rented to broke all of my rules - smoking in the house, pets in the house - tore up the blinds, absconded with one of the closet doors, burned the vinyl in the kitchen. I had quite a bill after that to put it back in livable condition for myself. And they didn't pay their last two months rent....Then my neighbors came by and told me they were ecstatic when they heard I was coming back as there were some serious issues with the tenants - parties, fights, police visits, etc......bottom line - property manager failed. Fired him and will never give him any business again - but then realized I am not a landlord type either....

In any case, I wouldn't feel bad about this at all - it's not personal, it's business and your rules apply when you own the property.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

The point of the explanation isn't for the benefit of the property manager, it is to document a reason for refusal to head off any potential lawsuit from the applicant. A judge isn't going to be impressed by your rules if they include discrimination.

Tags
condo, florida, rental, tenants, uneasy