Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I came across this today describing a whole new use for the 'service animal' scam - avoiding airline fees and cage requirements.

jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #82
I had no idea! I'm showing up at the airport next time with my two Bassett Hounds; I can give up the xanax I take for flights for the comfort of my emotional support hounds! Who could deny anyone the comforting smell, feel, balls of fur, and slobber of a couple of hound dogs?

Actually, I think this whole thing has gone too far. I remember one time we had a garbage collector who had a degenerative spine problem. HR actually questioned us if there was not some "reasonable accommodation" we could provide him. As in hire someone else to walk with him to do his work? Sometimes life ain't fair; do we have to equalize it for all? I finally bailed out of my career because mentally I couldn't stand it anymore, dealing with politicians. Should have claimed disability.

H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #83
My son's community service project for high school involved helping to train Service Dogs. Tjere is a training program which is done at a prison in the next county. A group of about a dozen inmates each are assigned a puppy when it is weened from it's mother.
They train the dogs with all of the commands that they need and raise them. My son's job was to take a dog for a weekend and get the dog used to being out in society. A Service dog in training has the same access rights as a service dog when they are wearing their harness.

The dogs will eventually be given to those who can not afford to purchase one.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Knowing what goes into the training of a real Service Dog (Seeing Eye or other type of aid), and having met quite a few of the real item, I get steamed at the notion of passing off an ordinary pooch as one of these dedicated canines. Still, the world is full of folks who can't "make it" on the up-and-up, so they con whomever they can, any way they can.

I often feel that if con artists put as much effort into doing the right thing, as they do into their con games, they could go far in the world. But then, they wouldn't have as much fun laughing at the rest of us "marks"!

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote

condo, florida, rental, tenants, uneasy