Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

His description of his business gives great insight to his disability.

As others have said stay away, there's only a possible upside of renting your place, but a whole lot of downside. I know it's hard to say no to renting your place, but that letter, is a huge warning.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Looks like it wold be really hard to fake a service dog.
We see lots of "service dogs" in the local supermarket. All breeds. Almost none of them with any kind of vest or identification. The clerks tell me that they are not allowed to ask anything about the animal or the reason except "Is that your service dog?" If the person says yes, then they cannot ask anything else. If the person says no, then they can explain that the store hygiene policy does not allow animals.

I actually heard this exchange once where the person said it wasn't a service animal, but as soon as they were asked to take the dog out, recanted and said oh yes it was a service animal. That ended the conversation and the dog was allowed to remain. By now it's very well known that if you are willing to say "service animal" you can bring your dog anywhere.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #43

This is terrible. Just like the people who use the "disabled" parking stickers when they don't need it.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Boy, it sure sounds like landlording is the cat's pajamas!

Good luck, Amethyst, and when you get out of this just keep going until it is sold.

Ha
Ha, you and I are just not landlords at heart! Amethyst, I have no insights to add whatsoever, but I wish you good luck and I hope that whatever you decide to do works out for you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
This is terrible. Just like the people who use the "disabled" parking stickers when they don't need it.
It's even worse, I really had no idea people did this and how it impacts legitimate service dogs. Bestwifeever thanks for posting thst link.

I've turned in a coworker for parking in disabled parking. The girl justified her actions with 'it's not like anybodys using that parking'. OMG, when the girl later resigned from Megacorp, I asked HR to term her that day and pay her for the two weeks. She was so happy, she didn't know the policy, when Megacorp did that, she became ineligible for rehire. I'm sure life has many more lessons for her.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Someone at a workplace I occasionally went to had a "service dog" at work for a year or two until it was questioned. The dog had to leave.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #47

Sounds like you might also be able to catch them for false statements on the application if the carpet miracle turns out to be false. Check the references carefully.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #48

Quote:
That letter from the applicant sounds like a scam letter.
+1, coming from a landlord who has heard it all. I have finally learned to trust my gut. Sounds like this guy is making your gut queasy. Trust it.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

Then go watch "Pacific Heights".
Pacific Heights (1990) - IMDb
You are a cruel cruel woman Sue J. That movie makes landlords sweat and twist at night. Just the parts where so much care and work and love has gone into the place, and then....
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have rental property in Florida. Getting someone evicted is not easy there. It can take several months, and there are no "cheap eviction" companies that I could find there. An attorney I spoke with wanted $4,000.

In Arizona, as an example, you can have someone evicted in less than 30 days, and they have firms that specialize in this with paralegals doing all the paperwork, and charge about $350 per eviction.

I think we all agree the "service dog" is a bold face lie, so that speaks to the person's character. His "multi-million dollar pending business deal with a 600 credit score tells me this guy is most likely a BSr, or just someone who doesn't pay his bills.

Most people pay their rent if they are financially able to, as maintaining a roof over their head is important to them. Those that don't fall into two categories, those who lose their jobs and don't have emergency funds to carry them, and con men, who know the law and the time frame involved in eviction and all the ways they can delay it. They will usually stick you in the end a few months before they intend to vacate the property.

If you have a property management company they should be able to do an eviction search on the tenant in Florida and the other state they say they lived. A reference when it involves a single family home or condo owned by one owner can always turn out to be a friend or relative.

An apartment building run by a management company is a more reliable reference. On another note, I have in the past taken a chance with someone who had a not so good credit score, but only if I met them and they had a credible story. If they had decent credit for a number of years, then either lost their job, or got divorced, or had large medical expenses, and their credit then went south. These people can be worthwhile. Not something I like to do though, as it is risky. If you are new to being a landlord, understand that 70% of your applicants will have bad credit by the way. You usually have to go through a few applications to get a good one. Especially today with so many layoffs and people abandoning their homes. Also people who need a place right away, are usually not your best prospects. Just some friendly Landlord advise.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
If you are new to being a landlord, understand that 70% of your applicants will have bad credit by the way. You usually have to go through a few applications to get a good one.
Not if you clearly state in the ad that applicants must have excellent credit and remind them of this on the phone before even showing them the place. Some effort put into this type of pre-qualification can significantly reduce the amount of work you need to do to find a good tenant. IMO, it's well worth doing this. Why waste time with people you wouldn't want to rent to anyway?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
We see lots of "service dogs" in the local supermarket. All breeds. Almost none of them with any kind of vest or identification. The clerks tell me that they are not allowed to ask anything about the animal or the reason except "Is that your service dog?" If the person says yes, then they cannot ask anything else. If the person says no, then they can explain that the store hygiene policy does not allow animals.
I believe the federal law also allows you to ask "what tasks are he/she trained to do?". That would possibly trip up the less prepared scammers, at least the first time they are asked. Especially since the Disability Act section that talks about service animals differentiates between task trained service animals and therapy or anxiety animals. But that's just splitting hairs, and I suspect a clerk that pushed it would be have a better chance of losing their job than the dog would have of being ejected.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
This. He is rationalizing his low credit score (which is probably even lower) and wanting you to tell him if you will contact his references and previous residence? Never mind the dog, this screams deadbeat and $$ to get rid of (when they claim you are discriminating against the service dog).

We are on our 4th sweet and dumb cocker and they all could use their own service dog--not the breed anyone would want for a service animal.

BINGO. This screams of scam... trying to appeal to you via every trick in the book -- from legalease to successful business person... it's bullshit to me. I would reject them on what ever grounds you can find that are legal. Last thing you want is someone enjoying your beach front condo and not paying rent... let alone having their (stupid) cocker spaniel pp regularly on the new floor. As the move says....Run, Forrest...Run.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #54

Quote:
the Disability Act section that talks about service animals differentiates between task trained service animals and therapy or anxiety animals. But that's just splitting hairs, and I suspect a clerk that pushed it would be have a better chance of losing their job than the dog would have of being ejected.
I suspect that local stores have also adopted a policy that takes absolutely no risks of excluding anyone who might come back and sue them. As they described it to me, they were instructed by their bosses to ask nothing except the one question and to make no followup if told it was a service animal, no matter how absurd or incongruous the answer. Even if told it was not a service animal and the story changed as soon as the animal was asked to leave. As soon as the person says "service animal" they are allowed to have an animal in the store, whether the animal is performing any service or not.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #55

Sounds like the blowhard that skipped town in the middle of the night on my parents place We were wondering where they would land
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
It's even worse, I really had no idea people did this and how it impacts legitimate service dogs. Bestwifeever thanks for posting thst link.

I've turned in a coworker for parking in disabled parking. The girl justified her actions with 'it's not like anybodys using that parking'. OMG, when the girl later resigned from Megacorp, I asked HR to term her that day and pay her for the two weeks. She was so happy, she didn't know the policy, when Megacorp did that, she became ineligible for rehire. I'm sure life has many more lessons for her.

MRG
Good for you!!

I see way too many people using a family member or friends hang card to park in disabled parking. They actually admitted this to me. I also see people using the space with diagonal lines meant for wheel chairs being used as a cart return area. Occasionally I even see motorcycles parking there. If improperly used those areas can also result in a fine.

I'm looking into a local program that trains civilians to issue tickets for illegally parking in disabled spaces.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #57

This thread is certainly an eye opener. It is a sad state of affairs when an American just trying to run an honest business must live in such fear of litigation, but unfortunately that is the reality.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #58

Total scam - REJECT or regret! If you need more info on service dogs vs therapy/companionship dogs, check out any major airline's website.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post

BINGO. This screams of scam... trying to appeal to you via every trick in the book -- from legalease to successful business person... it's bullshit to me. I would reject them on what ever grounds you can find that are legal. Last thing you want is someone enjoying your beach front condo and not paying rent... let alone having their (stupid) cocker spaniel pp regularly on the new floor. As the move says....Run, Forrest...Run.
Hey, my cockers never ever pp'd on the floor and only we owners get to call them dumb (not stupid ).

OP should not even mention the "service animal" at all, only the low credit score, in rejecting this prospective tenant.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #60

Anybody who lies, and says their pet is a service animal when it's not, should be beaten so badly that afterwards, they DO need one.

I can't stand people gaming the system for their own selfish purposes. Some people just need an ass-kicking, pure and simple.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condo, florida, rental, tenants, uneasy