Join Early Retirement Today

Uninvited guests...
Old 09-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uninvited guests...

The 2:30 AM Ring doorbell alert woke me up with a fright. I recognized Ring’s motion jingle from the IPad on the night table beside me and thought OMG there is someone at the front door...Yikes.

https://ring.com/share/6733072422964211162

Funny last week the cameras at our Pocono mountain house caught a bear walking down our driveway..

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had some uninvited guests a few years ago:

Creatures of the Night

I know we've had some other guests recently, so I should set up my trail cam again.

mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

What a great video, I'm so jealous of where you live...
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Wondering what's visiting when we're not there
Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

Wondering what's visiting when we're not there

I had a trail camera many years ago, but it was cumbersome to retrieve the pictures. You had to connect it to a computer to download, and then when we converted from Windows to Mac it didn't want to play at all. Also, it snapped only still shots instead of short movies.

I expect current trail cameras are much more user-friendly. We have woods in our suburban yard today and have seen everything short of bears. But soon DW and I will be moving to our retirement castle, which is in a more rural area so I want to set up a new camera to see what visits. I haven't kept up with the technology. Are there brands/models you'd recommend?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I want to set up a new camera to see what visits. I haven't kept up with the technology. Are there brands/models you'd recommend?
Mine is a few years old and is made by Crenova (purchased from Amazon). It works well, but despite claiming to be waterproof it got moisture inside the lens and everything ended up foggy looking. I returned it for a replacement but have not used the replacement since I received it 3+ years ago. It needs something like 8 AA batteries, which I haven't had available for a while.

It uses a memory card that I can pop out and put in my computer to pull the files from.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

I really thought this would be a thread about the inlaws showing up for an un-announced 2 week stay !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

OP's thread titles are artistic, not descriptive. Might as well title them all "It was a dark and stormy night...".

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OP's thread titles are artistic, not descriptive. Might as well title them all "It was a dark and stormy night...".
Could be a chapter title. As in, “Chapter 265 - Visiting Deer”

If anything, the thread title implies animals are intruding on human space. We live in an area with lots of wildlife but I don’t object, figuring we’re the ones intruding on their space.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I expect current trail cameras are much more user-friendly. We have woods in our suburban yard today and have seen everything short of bears. But soon DW and I will be moving to our retirement castle, which is in a more rural area so I want to set up a new camera to see what visits. I haven't kept up with the technology. Are there brands/models you'd recommend?

I have a Moultrie trail-cam, and it works great. I don't know the model right now, as the camera is set up out in the woods, but I can check it if you'd like. I think I paid about $75 for it, so not too bad. It's easy to use........just attach it to a post or tree, pointing toward the area you want to capture, put 8 AA batteries in, put your SD card in, and push the start button. When you want to view the photos, just take the SD card out and put it into the slot on your laptop or PC, and view them. I use mine for deer hunting, mostly. It's been out there in heavy rain, snow, etc, and it still works good, no issues. I use rechargeable AA batteries, and they generally last at least 2-3 weeks before I have to add new ones. They'd last longer, but I'm getting 200+ photos each day/night of deer and other critters (had a coyote photo the other day), so that drains the batteries down a bit faster.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:

Yes. When you see the Author, you know it’ll be something a bit different.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #11

Uninvited guests...

I put that doorbell in because sadly there are 2 legged night roamers everywhere. Its only been a couple of nights and bam when that thing went off and Sweet Moses i nearly had a heart attack. We have cameras but they arent at eye level.

My post is about me laughing at myself (post near heat attack). I hope you had a chuckle as well.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Could be a chapter title. As in, “Chapter 265 - Visiting Deer”

If anything, the thread title implies animals are intruding on human space. We live in an area with lots of wildlife but I don’t object, figuring we’re the ones intruding on their space.
Well, we came back north from FL this year to a really stinky house due to the horde of raccoons that moved into the attic. It was a disaster, and while I am usually a friend of the woodland creature, I'm sort of smiling every time I see a roadkill raccoon these days. We were able to chase them out of the attic ourselves, but between system hardening, clean-up, decontamination, and re-insulating it cost us a pretty penny. Not to mention having to take down a beautiful Magnolia tree, aka 'coon ladder. These were real uninvited guests.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #13

ray--always enjoy your posts
great video, hope the deer don't eat too much of you landscaping!
Old 09-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
We had some uninvited guests a few years ago:

Creatures of the Night

I know we've had some other guests recently, so I should set up my trail cam again.
So cool. The music a little scary, but the bear...HI larious. Your garbage was his lunch bag. I think there's a lesson here.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
So cool. The music a little scary, but the bear...HI larious. Your garbage was his lunch bag. I think there's a lesson here.
We have bear proof trash cans. They're just a big plastic trash can with some metal reinforcements around the lid with some locks. A couple years ago I only locked one side as I thought the bears were still snoozing. At least one wasn't. He had a blast sticking his bear head into the can and throwing it all around. It would have been less work for both of us if I'd just dumped the trash on the ground*.

* you end up with bear problems doing that.

ETA: I knew from the title who the likely poster was, he never fails to entertain me.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That exact phrase comes into my mind every time I open one the OP's thread starters!

Maybe he should talk to T_Al about an outlet for his writing endeavors?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

So did a deer reach up with a hoof and ring the doorbell?
Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #18

we had a couple visit today also....
https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/lib...52DFF09_201909
Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, we came back north from FL this year to a really stinky house due to the horde of raccoons that moved into the attic. It was a disaster, and while I am usually a friend of the woodland creature, I'm sort of smiling every time I see a roadkill raccoon these days. We were able to chase them out of the attic ourselves, but between system hardening, clean-up, decontamination, and re-insulating it cost us a pretty penny. Not to mention having to take down a beautiful Magnolia tree, aka 'coon ladder. These were real uninvited guests.
I’ve had similar issues, and don’t look forward to sharing space with critters. I’d rather we practice some mutual respect for each other’s privacy.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So did a deer reach up with a hoof and ring the doorbell?
Silly Feever, that’s what antlers are for ..