Uninvited guests...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The 2:30 AM Ring doorbell alert woke me up with a fright. I recognized Ring’s motion jingle from the IPad on the night table beside me and thought OMG there is someone at the front door...Yikes.

https://ring.com/share/6733072422964211162

Funny last week the cameras at our Pocono mountain house caught a bear walking down our driveway..

Wondering what's visiting when we're not there

I had a trail camera many years ago, but it was cumbersome to retrieve the pictures. You had to connect it to a computer to download, and then when we converted from Windows to Mac it didn't want to play at all. Also, it snapped only still shots instead of short movies.

I expect current trail cameras are much more user-friendly. We have woods in our suburban yard today and have seen everything short of bears. But soon DW and I will be moving to our retirement castle, which is in a more rural area so I want to set up a new camera to see what visits. I haven't kept up with the technology. Are there brands/models you'd recommend?

I want to set up a new camera to see what visits. I haven't kept up with the technology. Are there brands/models you'd recommend?

Mine is a few years old and is made by Crenova (purchased from Amazon). It works well, but despite claiming to be waterproof it got moisture inside the lens and everything ended up foggy looking. I returned it for a replacement but have not used the replacement since I received it 3+ years ago. It needs something like 8 AA batteries, which I haven't had available for a while.

It uses a memory card that I can pop out and put in my computer to pull the files from.

I really thought this would be a thread about the inlaws showing up for an un-announced 2 week stay !

OP's thread titles are artistic, not descriptive. Might as well title them all "It was a dark and stormy night...". :)
Could be a chapter title. As in, “Chapter 265 - Visiting Deer”

If anything, the thread title implies animals are intruding on human space. We live in an area with lots of wildlife but I don’t object, figuring we’re the ones intruding on their space.

I expect current trail cameras are much more user-friendly. We have woods in our suburban yard today and have seen everything short of bears. But soon DW and I will be moving to our retirement castle, which is in a more rural area so I want to set up a new camera to see what visits. I haven't kept up with the technology. Are there brands/models you'd recommend?

I have a Moultrie trail-cam, and it works great. I don't know the model right now, as the camera is set up out in the woods, but I can check it if you'd like. I think I paid about $75 for it, so not too bad. It's easy to use........just attach it to a post or tree, pointing toward the area you want to capture, put 8 AA batteries in, put your SD card in, and push the start button. When you want to view the photos, just take the SD card out and put it into the slot on your laptop or PC, and view them. I use mine for deer hunting, mostly. It's been out there in heavy rain, snow, etc, and it still works good, no issues. I use rechargeable AA batteries, and they generally last at least 2-3 weeks before I have to add new ones. They'd last longer, but I'm getting 200+ photos each day/night of deer and other critters (had a coyote photo the other day), so that drains the batteries down a bit faster.

OP's thread titles are artistic, not descriptive. Might as well title them all "It was a dark and stormy night...". :)

Yes. When you see the Author, you know it’ll be something a bit different.

I put that doorbell in because sadly there are 2 legged night roamers everywhere. Its only been a couple of nights and bam when that thing went off and Sweet Moses i nearly had a heart attack. We have cameras but they arent at eye level.

My post is about me laughing at myself (post near heat attack). I hope you had a chuckle as well.

Last edited:
Could be a chapter title. As in, “Chapter 265 - Visiting Deer”

If anything, the thread title implies animals are intruding on human space. We live in an area with lots of wildlife but I don’t object, figuring we’re the ones intruding on their space.

Well, we came back north from FL this year to a really stinky house due to the horde of raccoons that moved into the attic. It was a disaster, and while I am usually a friend of the woodland creature, I'm sort of smiling every time I see a roadkill raccoon these days. We were able to chase them out of the attic ourselves, but between system hardening, clean-up, decontamination, and re-insulating it cost us a pretty penny. Not to mention having to take down a beautiful Magnolia tree, aka 'coon ladder. These were real uninvited guests.

ray--always enjoy your posts
great video, hope the deer don't eat too much of you landscaping!

So cool. The music a little scary, but the bear...HI larious. Your garbage was his lunch bag. I think there's a lesson here.
We have bear proof trash cans. They're just a big plastic trash can with some metal reinforcements around the lid with some locks. A couple years ago I only locked one side as I thought the bears were still snoozing. At least one wasn't. He had a blast sticking his bear head into the can and throwing it all around. It would have been less work for both of us if I'd just dumped the trash on the ground*.

* you end up with bear problems doing that.

ETA: I knew from the title who the likely poster was, he never fails to entertain me.

:LOL: That exact phrase comes into my mind every time I open one the OP's thread starters!

Maybe he should talk to T_Al about an outlet for his writing endeavors?

-ERD50

Well, we came back north from FL this year to a really stinky house due to the horde of raccoons that moved into the attic. It was a disaster, and while I am usually a friend of the woodland creature, I'm sort of smiling every time I see a roadkill raccoon these days. We were able to chase them out of the attic ourselves, but between system hardening, clean-up, decontamination, and re-insulating it cost us a pretty penny. Not to mention having to take down a beautiful Magnolia tree, aka 'coon ladder. These were real uninvited guests.

I’ve had similar issues, and don’t look forward to sharing space with critters. I’d rather we practice some mutual respect for each other’s privacy. :)

Silly Feever, that’s what antlers are for ..

Trying to make a bad joke about using their horns instead of ringing the bell but no go. I humbly offer this instead:

Two deer walk up to Rayinpenn's house.
The first deer says, "Hey, wanna go to a party?"
The second one says, "I'm game!"

Trying to make a bad joke about using their horns instead of ringing the bell but no go. I humbly offer this instead:

:D + ;)

Mine

The first deer says, "Hey, wanna go ring the doorbell with our hooves?"
The second one says, "Let's use our horns instead"

You two need to lay off the cheap booze...lol

Back
Top Bottom