Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

United Airlines Roughed Up Passenger to Give Up His Seat
Old 04-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

United Airlines Roughed Up Passenger to Give Up His Seat

So, on a United flight, the seats got overbooked so 4 unlucky people get randomly selected to get booted off. One one of them refused, authorities called in, and roughs up the passenger before dragging him out.

Definitely goes in the "What the ..." category.

Quote:
Videos of a United Airlines passenger being forcibly dragged from his seat on a Sunday overbooked flight at O'Hare International Airport have been viewed more than 1 million times, and the airline's CEO on Monday called the incident "an upsetting event to all of us here at United."
Quote:
In videos of the incident aboard a flight bound for Louisville, Ky., a man screams as security officers pull him from his seat. He then falls silent as they drag him by the hands, with his glasses askew and his shirt pulled up over his abdomen, down the aisle. Several passengers yell at the officers. "Oh my God, look at what you did to him," one woman yells.
The most common sense of all:

Quote:
Travel industry analyst Henry Harteveldt questioned why United didn't simply offer a larger sum.

"Everybody has their price. If they had allowed the agent to offer a higher incentive, we may never have heard about this," said Harteveldt, founder of Atmosphere Research Group.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...410-story.html

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

you mean they kicked off a guy that paid for his seat so that some employees could fly for free?.

I wonder what they will settle this for? $2M?

Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
you mean they kicked off a guy that paid for his seat so that some employees could fly for free?.

That's what the situation sounds like. Booted off so employees could fly for free.

Quote:
Once the flight was boarded, passengers were told four people needed to give up their seats for stand-by United employees that needed to be in Louisville for a Monday flight and the plane wouldn't depart until they had volunteers, Bridges said. United increased the offer to $800, but no one volunteered.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The employees were crew members they needed at the plane's destination.

Yes, they should have kept upping the amount they would pay for passengers to give up their seat.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have never heard of anything like that... generally they just keep upping the incentives to give up your seat until someone volunteers.

If it was overbooked, I wonder if all passengers have an equal chance of being involuntarily bumped, or if they simply select from the cheapest fare codes.

Disturbing. I wonder how much the guy will end up getting from United for a settlement? Probably a lot. I suspect the lawyers are lining up at his door.

And he got bumped so some United employees? Even though the employees were flying for business and not pleasure, that is outrageous!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Hopefully its more than 2M...should have never happened.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This is going to end up costing them a lot more in PR damage control and lost business than the better incentives for voluntarily being bumped would have. I've seen people involuntarily bumped before but always before they've actually boarded.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

Yes, they should have kept upping the amount they would pay for passengers to give up their seat.
hey they were just being frugal

Old 04-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have never heard of anything like that... generally they just keep upping the incentives to give up your seat until someone volunteers.

If it was overbooked, I wonder if all passengers have an equal chance of being involuntarily bumped, or if they simply select from the cheapest fare codes.

Disturbing. I wonder how much the guy will end up getting from United for a settlement? Probably a lot. I suspect the lawyers are lining up at his door.
I read, the passenger was talking to his lawyer on the phone when he got roughed up.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I read, may have been in a different article, the passenger was talking to his lawyer on the phone when he got roughed up.
he was - and he was apparently chosen at "random" along with a few others
Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
This is going to end up costing them a lot more in PR damage control and lost business than the better incentives would have.
+1. I see a lawsuit and/or boycott in the works.

The irony, of course, is United's slogan of the friendly skies .
Old 04-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
hey they were just being frugal

....or is it "cheap"?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am glad someone recorded it - Without it, I am pretty sure the company would have reacted so swiftly.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

right after the "merger" I flew (what was) CO to Houston via Denver.

after sitting on the tarmac for an hour after we landed trying to get to the gate I missed my connection to Houston - the station attendants were totally unhelpful and I ended up sleeping on the floor in the terminal. I had to call and pretend to buy a new ticket to get on a flight in the morning.

the only time I fly them now is the direct we have to IAH

I'm getting to really dig SWA - been flying them for 30 years
Old 04-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #15

There was some chaos in the system due to weather over the previous days that resulted in the system being full. I think this is why people were not volunteering.

Meanwhile, the airlines "compensation" is getting sketchy. I want money, not vouchers.

DW and I decided on a driving vacation this year because flying has become such a pain.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We have some Indiana Jones on the crew here.

It could have been worse. "No ticket!"

Old 04-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

if you have ever been on the wrong side of any airline(expecially before cell phones) none of them are friendly or fair. Personally I hope the guy gets a pile for their ignorance.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #18

Quote:
And he got bumped so some United employees? Even though the employees were flying for business and not pleasure, that is outrageous!
I don't want to appear to defend UA, and I agree they should have upped the incentive.

BUT, If the employees were needed to staff another flight (or 2, or 3) and did not arrive then you could have had a ripple effect causing hundreds of passengers to be delayed or have flights cancelled.

FWIW, $2million is an absurd amount. My guess is he gets one million ........frequent flier miles.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #19

Quote:

Yes, along those lines. They select the ones who paid the lowest fare and fly the least frequently. So if you fly the airline a lot and/or paid a higher fare you're least likely to get bumped.

Quote:

I wouldn't bet on it. From what I read of it the airline was perfectly within their rights to do it that way. Stupid, but that's the way the airline chose to deal with it instead of simply upping the dollar amount of compensation until they had enough volunteers. Had they done that the event wouldn't have happened. Now they're going to spend a lot more on advertising, lawyers (maybe) and overtime for the PR folks.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The passenger was a physician who had to be at work today. He had every right to say no, otherwise what does "voluntarily" mean? He was also of Asian ethnicity. Was his ethnicity a contributing factor? He should sue the pants off them.

I will be boycotting United Airlines from now on, not that I use them very much anyway.

Closed Thread