Join Early Retirement Today

Universal Remotes?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Universal Remotes?

I've looked up older threads on this topic (one of which I started pertaining to TV technologies). We were all set to buy the Harmony 700 we'd researched that would have been perfect, only to find that it's selling for almost 150% of MSRP (except for refurbished units, which seem iffy). Come to find that it's no longer made despite the demand . Logitech has not only trimmed their line of remotes down to 4 (Logitech HarmonyŽ Remotes - Choose your Harmony), they're also planning on selling the division later this year (Logitech to unload Harmony line after 'disappointing' quarter | Business Tech - CNET News), so the question of future support may also be an issue.

The 650 is still available, but the features are not quite the same, reviews have been mixed, and we're open to alternatives....

Tyro
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW I've had no problems with the 650 in the 5 months I've had it. It's down in my basement and I don't use it daily but it works whenever I do use it. My sister's family has had theirs longer and they like it and use it daily. It was worth the $50 I paid for it, but I wouldn't pay triple that for the 700. It looks to me that the 700 can control one more device and is rechargeable, a debatable value), so I'm not sure what else you'd miss with the 650 unless you need that 6th device.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I am unsure of what your question is exactly (other than the "support issue") but I have two universal remotes. I am currently "on the road" (in Tyler, Texas) and only have the Logitech "Harmony One" available. (https://www.google.com/search?source...iversal+Remote) I am very happy with this remote and highly recommend it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had a Harmony One remote for about 7 years and have had no problems with it
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Harmony remotes. We've used them for years and they're fantastic. I don't know what model ours is (it's pretty old) but it looks most similar to the 650 on the Harmony site.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #6

I'd pay the premium for the Harmony 700. I'm glad I got one years ago when they were selling at par.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Rather than a use-specific device, I'd consider an IR 'blaster' that can be controlled from a smartphone, ipod/ipad/iphone.

iPad, iPhone Remotes | Remote Shoppe

Found a bunch more with googling, but no time to research them right now. If you don't have a smart device, you can buy older gen, low-end smartphones or ipods used pretty cheap.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had and used the Harmony 880, 890, One, and 900. With the One and 900 being my current ones. Love em. The rechargable battery one the ONE swelled and I can't get it out. Only holds a charge for about two days now. Not a big deal to me.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesq View Post
I have had and used the Harmony 880, 890, One, and 900. With the One and 900 being my current ones. Love em. The rechargable battery one the ONE swelled and I can't get it out. Only holds a charge for about two days now. Not a big deal to me.
I had the same problem with my Harmony One, now I check it occasionally to see if it has started to swell. I did finally get the old battery out but it took a lot of prying to do.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #10

Today in the local paper a writer made note of some great remotes for older people with arthritis and in general, fingers that don't work so well anymore. I'll post for whoever might still be interested.

Flipper Remote (available for $25 at flipperremote.com)
Super Remote SR3 ($13 at amazon.com)

He also noted supersized remotes "Tek Partner", "Big Button" and "Tek Pal". All available at bigbuttonremotes.com.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #11

I've loved my Harmony 880 for years now. The best part is the "magic button" as DW calls it - one overall on/off button to shut the entire system down.

I also have a Roomie Remote for iOS devices, with the iTach wifi to IR adapter. I generally really like it, but the downside is that when you want to mute a loud commercial it takes time to wake up the iphone, hit the lock code, start up the roomie app, wait for it to respond, and then hit "mute." Plus the usual downside of iphone soft buttons - it's too easy to miss when you lack the tactile feedback. But the app integrates the tv listings, which is nice. Plus each of us has their own remote via our iphones, plus the ipad. The devices stay in synch, but we can get into dueling remotes sometimes.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have no opinion on the value but Meritline.com has the Harmony 900 for $169 (the first 50 people using code MLCKDM04L1 get it for $144.99). They also have several other Harmony models available including the Harmony One for $125.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I had the same problem with my Harmony One, now I check it occasionally to see if it has started to swell. I did finally get the old battery out but it took a lot of prying to do.
Another happy Harmony One owner who had the swelled battery... Got it out with some difficulty... Despite being well out of warranty they sent me a new one, no problem...

If I didn't have it my wife wouldn't be able to watch TV unless I'm around
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Just replaced a harmony 670 with a supposedly lesser 650 and am very happy with it. $A34 off eBay, including shipping. Bargain!
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote