Join Early Retirement Today

Unobtrusive cell phone, digital camera & other carrier?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unobtrusive cell phone, digital camera & other carrier?

Do you have any ideas for something to carry a digital camera, cell phone and other small items while traveling? I'm not looking for a fanny pack, back pack or a similar item that screems tourist.

This would be something that attaches to a belt and would be descrite.

If you know of another site to post this question please let me know.
thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Unobtrusive cell phone, digital camera & other carrier?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Had to chuckle when I read this. It has been a lifelong search for me, like the Holy Grail. When I am on call, I need to carry a cell phone, pager, palm device at the very least. Add in a pair or two of glasses. I look like I work for the phone company.

Belt bags get too thick with all my stuff inside, it's easy to sit on them, and they get caught on stuff, etc.). Fanny packs? No thanks. I usually end up with one of two solutions:

1. a shoulder bag from Eagle Creek (also have a leather one) -- kind of like a man-purse. I'm way over feeling geeky with it, but I am a great one for putting stuff down then walking off without it if it's not grafted to my body, or...

2. I wear cargo type tech pants or shorts with extra pockets by the knees. Hardly notice the cargo cause they are kind of baggy; maybe add a small belt bag for my sunglasses and such.

The quest goes on...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Rich,
So this could be the quest for the "golden fleece". You would think there would be something out there that attaches to your belt so you could just throw your stuff in and go without looking as if you were going to trecking.

I'm going to look into camera cases. I think I saw some awhile ago that might fit the bill.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Rich,
What do you think?

http://www.ebags.com/category_search...N=4001+2007555
Old 03-27-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My BIL likes to wear a fishing/hunting/photographer's -type vest with lots of pockets.. it would depend on where you're going whether this would look too 'tourist-y'.. *He is an Italian shop owner so he doesn't look "touristy" to begin with.

Other ways to not look like a tourist (if you are traveling outside the US/Canada):
-Eschew sneakers, especially white or bright-colored ones. You can get brown or black sneaker-like hybrids that won't make you stand out so much. Or sturdy walking shoes like Clarks. White sneakers =American. Really ugly orthopedic shoes, or socks with sandals =German.
-Eschew the bright nylon "activewear" togs that seem perfect for travel but stick out like a sore thumb. Turquoise/purple/red jackets in Europe = American. Ditto shorts.
-Eschew t-shirts/sweatshirts, especially those with writing on them. Even polo shirts, which we think of as generic, are identifiably American. Long-sleeve solid t-shirts are a decent alternative, as are turtlenecks. Otherwise stick to regular solid-color button shirts (plaid will be a dead giveaway!)
-Leave baseball cap at home.
-Non-designer jeans worn by anyone over 35 = likely American.
-Also learn not to carry water/food/drinks everywhere with you. "Sport" bottle = American.

Though you may stick out anyway depending on where you travel, the best odds are to gauge what the locals are wearing and try to fit in. If this is impractical or bordering on the absurd.. then stick to a business-casual look with as much wash&wear/stretch fabrics as you can.

There's a lot of good travel tips on the Slow Travel website; you might post your gadget question there: www.slowtrav.com
Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

ladelfina,
Great advise.
thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

1. a shoulder bag from Eagle Creek (also have a leather one) -- kind of like a man-purse. I'm way over feeling geeky with it, but I am a great one for putting stuff down then walking off without it if it's not grafted to my body, or...

The quest goes on...
I am always teasing my husband about carrying a "man purse." He hasn't found the perfect one yet either. He has one Eagle Creek type bag that is too small but has the option of being either a fanny pack or can hang over the shoulder, and another fancy messenger bag that is too big, from Aerostich.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina

-Eschew the bright nylon "activewear" togs that seem perfect for travel but stick out like a sore thumb. Turquoise/purple/red jackets in Europe = American. Ditto shorts.
OldAgePensioner: here is your outfit for San Francisco. Nylon "activewear", with a man-purse.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

That wouldnt raise a single eyebrow here in SF...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Got a model in mind that you have had good luck with? I could always use a few more carrying bags to add to my collection of 20 or 30 .

Martha: now you've done it. By using the word Aerostich (which I have successfully avoided for months), you've sent me on another buying frenzy. Gotta postpone my retirement by a month - thanks alot! :P

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Martha: now you've done it. By using the word Aerostich (which I have successfully avoided for months), you've sent me on another buying frenzy. Gotta postpone my retirement by a month - thanks alot! :P
Aerostich is owned by a friend of mine and I have a sister who works there. With that disclaimer , their motorcycle clothing and accessories really are the best available and all their clothing is made in Duluth, Minnesota.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Here's a special message about those bags you're talking about:

http://thesatchelpages.com/about-that-bag-you-carry/

Old 03-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Aerostich is owned by a friend of mine and I have a sister who works there. With that disclaimer , their motorcycle clothing and accessories really are the best available and all their clothing is made in Duluth, Minnesota.
I've been there and it was great. Own a Darien jacket and pants, along with a load of other paraphernalia. It is also one of the best catalogs I receive. Very high-end and well-designed line.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunf
Here's a special message about those bags you're talking about:
http://thesatchelpages.com/about-that-bag-you-carry/

Old 03-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very high-end...
Doesn't that make it hard to find off-the-the rack items to fit you? Sorry, couldn't resist.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Doesn't that make it hard to find off-the-the rack items to fit you? Sorry, couldn't resist.
High rise 38" length works every time .