Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reminded me of one of my public sector gigs when in charge of garbage collection, among other things like water supply and sewage (the last which makes a piss on the property sort of a meh issue to me). This was in the eighties when guys openly rode on the back of garbage packer trucks, just holding on to the handhold, which I'm pretty sure is taboo from a safety standpoint. Anyway, we all knew these guys were quite adept at rolling down the road and discretely pissing in the back hopper; never did have a complaint on that so they must have been pretty skilled.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #42

On a lighter note, we have a very nice restaurant locally (best in town) where there are full length windows overlooking a small park/alleyway. Many tables are right up against the windows.

A year ago a homeless guy needed to go and, perhaps the lighting/reflection prevented him from seeing inside (or he just didn't give a ****) and he just peed right on the window as the people were sitting there!

Hilarity ensued!

Sometimes you just gotta roll with it.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #43

I'm glad to hear it was resolved. Yay!

When we were building our granny flat we had to have a porta-potty for the workers (multi-month project, pretty standard permit requirement.) The porta-potty was in our driveway (for easy access to the honeybucket truck that serviced it.) The jobsite was behind our house, down a hill a bit. We caught the workers using the job site several times. I guess the walk was too far. When we saw it we'd tell the GC and they'd hose down the area.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:12 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe we could get Billy Carter and Boris Yeltsin to chime in on this.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Reminded me of one of my public sector gigs when in charge of garbage collection, among other things like water supply and sewage (the last which makes a piss on the property sort of a meh issue to me). This was in the eighties when guys openly rode on the back of garbage packer trucks, just holding on to the handhold, which I'm pretty sure is taboo from a safety standpoint. Anyway, we all knew these guys were quite adept at rolling down the road and discretely pissing in the back hopper; never did have a complaint on that so they must have been pretty skilled.

Reminds me of our garbage service. Not too long ago, the DW inadvertently put styrofoam into the recycle cart. The employee decided the best way to deal with it was to throw it in the street. He could have put it back in the bin or the trash container that was sitting next to it, but the street was much more convenient. Here's a video of that too.... it's kinda funny to watch now, but I was a little annoyed at the time.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
What the worker did is called indecent exposure. If you are really upset, you have every right to report this to law enforcement. The guy could be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life. I would tell the company that if you do not get a response, that is the path you will take. The solution for me would be for the crew to come back out and clean that portion of your house before you will pay the bill because they have not finished the job until that is done.
That does not fit the definition of indecent exposure. It wouldve had to have been in the view of the general public with someone witnessing it and making a compliant...at the very least.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Reminds me of our garbage service. Not too long ago, the DW inadvertently put styrofoam into the recycle cart. The employee decided the best way to deal with it was to throw it in the street. He could have put it back in the bin or the trash container that was sitting next to it, but the street was much more convenient. Here's a video of that too.... it's kinda funny to watch now, but I was a little annoyed at the time.
That kind of crap right there is what you should send the police, city, news station, etc etc. Littering is a pretty big crime/fine...not to mention rain wont wash that away. That dude should lose their job.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

"Piddler on the Roof". A musical.

"yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum"
Old 12-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #49

FlyBoy5: How was it resolved?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
+1 Me too...(on urinating frequently and letting it go)

Sounds like the work got done.

Must be a manners issue and that may not be a strong point of mine. I have probably hit over half my yard over the years myself. As long as I wasn't getting showered I wouldn't have given it a thought. Even if I was doing yard work at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While I agree that the worker urinating on the back of your house was inappropriate, as was their not responding to your email, I don't see that as an excuse to not pay the bill. Why not give them a call and ask to talk to the owner and voice your complaint?

Was the reminder by email? If so, can you respond that you intend to pay promptly after they address your complaint dated xx/xx/xxx?

It probably is true that withholding payment is a way to get their attention. Is there anything you want other than an apology?

My first thought is the company probably doesnt give the guys time to piss, and also tell them not to go inside customer houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
FlyBoy5: How was it resolved?
I talked to the owner and discussed my concern. I told him that I wasn't looking for a free lunch but he (and his employees) should understand that folks having surveillance cameras is not outside the realm of possibilities and that there are a lot of unreasonable folks out there that would be happy to try and run a smear campaign (social media, reviews, etc.) against a company. I also mentioned the Ga. law about urinating in public and kids. Anyway, I wasn't trying to be an azz, just generally disappointed. He did mention that the guys work long hours and drink a lot of water, etc. I told him if his guys weren't getting breaks between jobs (mine took about 30 minutes) to use the bathroom then that's a management issue that should be resolved. He appreciated my candor and discussed it with the employee (he was warned but not fired..thankfully (I don't want anyone fired a few weeks before Xmas for a simple transgression). He seemed to be genuinely sorry about the incident. I paid the full amount without asking and he emailed me back to say that my next service would be free.

As for the garbage incident, that employee was terminated. We had issues for several weeks prior with trash being scattered throughout the neighborhood after collection and until the video, the company denied any wrongdoing. After I sent them the video and told them I would send it off to the local media if the littering didn't stop, they apologized profusely and I got 6 months of free trash collection and fired the employee. We haven't had an issue in the 'hood since.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #53

Thanks for the response. Seems as if the two situations were resolved maybe even better than you anticipated. Well done.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your lawyer is probably not licenced to practice in all 50 states. Here in the state of Georgia, if you are urinating in public and a minor sees you doing it, that is reason enough to be labeled as a sex offender. I don't agree with that, but it is the law.
True, this was in Texas and many years ago when I was in college...

His example was of someone mooning people out the window of a car.... they did not seek lawyers and plead guilty to indecent exposure... he said it will hurt them during their life.... should have consulted a lawyer and either gotten off or plead to a different charge....

The law could have changed... I can see where it can go to just a minor seeing as proving sexual gratification might be hard (no pun intended)... much easier to just prove a child saw the act...
Old 12-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #55

I think my area has low expectations and more "independent" (busier) contractors.

If (BIG IF) I can ever get an electrician/plumber/carpenter/gutter cleaner/landscaper to even return my calls, let alone come and do a job, I'm thrilled.

As long as they don't break/steal anything and get the job done I don't care what else they do; send me the bill!

Our town provided trash collection is equally erratic. IF they come, they bypass every few houses, won't pick up if there's a car blocking the sidewalk and leave half the trash in the bin. Lots of people have taken to dropping off small bags of trash to drop off at work instead.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the earlier posts mentioned urine as hazardous waste. Not so with healthy people as urine is generally sterile, though the acidity will cause damage to some metal surfaces. As to the reference about not washing hands after urination, I generally do not wash my hands after urinating in public restrooms as I know my private parts are cleaner than the handles on the sinks. I am also careful not to p on my hands.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Take all the time you would have wasted on retribution and find something to enrich your life.
You know, I have read several remarks that pretty much say "get a life" but this one is especially offensive to me. I simply asked if I was being reasonable and soliciting ideas from the forum members on a course of action. I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on if I should "enrich my life". My life is enriched enough, thank you very much.
The suggestion certainly not written in the spirit of "get a life" and was not intended to be offensive. I'm sorry.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our roofer took a whiz in our back yard, rather discretely in the corner. No big deal for me. I had offered our restroom, but apparently not his preference.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Life is too short.

Take the hose to it yourself and slam them on Yelp. All done in 10 minutes.

You'd simply be punishing yourself if you try to get them to pay for cleaning or drag it out with authorities.

Take all the time you would have wasted on retribution and find something to enrich your life.
I agree. Power washing can do more damage than a hose. If it has rained since the incident nature has done the job for you.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #60

Last time I cleaned my own gutters, the ladder fell over sideways and I broke both legs.

My builder should have never put 200' of gutters on a house with seven 60' pine trees within 60'. I recently did away with my gutter problem--by having them removed.

Just pay'em and go about enjoying your day.