Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unsubscribe
Old 02-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Tailgate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 881
Unsubscribe

Anyone else who unsubscribes from promotional email (Sears, Best Buy, Wayfair etc) but keeps getting the spam? I occasionally clear out any subscriptions I may have intentionally, inadvertently or somehow got picked to receive. Recently, the companies seem to keep sending stuff long after I've apparently successfully unsubscribed.
__________________

__________________
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
This is so frequent I've come to understand that the word "unsubscribe" really means "confirm your subscription" to some advertisers.

Gmail's spam filter will take care of it.
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
really means "confirm your subscription" to some advertisers.
+10!
__________________
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,708
The merchant may have multiple lists that you need to unsubscribe separately -- especially if they are a large corporation etc.

Another trick is to try to change the email address to something else. I am going through that process with many merchants/mailing lists as we speak.
__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,278
Are you sure they are really from the company that it says? I've never had any problem unsubscribing from any legitimate 'promotional' emails. I suspect what you got was illegitimate spam, and in that case, unsubscribe does mean - "we got a live one"!

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Are you sure they are really from the company that it says? I've never had any problem unsubscribing from any legitimate 'promotional' emails. I suspect what you got was illegitimate spam, and in that case, unsubscribe does mean - "we got a live one"!

-ERD50
I've not had a problem with legitimate companies, but ERD50's got it figured out!
__________________
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,362
Use throwaway email addresses that forward to your main one. There are several free services that supply throwaways. Never purchase something via your main email address, instead on the shopping cart checkout page always enter a throwaway, and later if spam starts to arrive delete that address.
__________________
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
bUU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,909
This. I create a new email address for each entity with whom we do business. When one gets "dirty", it gets ditched.
__________________
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 AM   #9
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Are you sure they are really from the company that it says? I've never had any problem unsubscribing from any legitimate 'promotional' emails. I suspect what you got was illegitimate spam, and in that case, unsubscribe does mean - "we got a live one"!

-ERD50
Yes, certain beyond any doubt. It is illegitimate spam, sent by legitimate businesses such as PayPal and Pinterest.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yes, certain beyond any doubt. It is illegitimate spam, sent by legitimate businesses such as PayPal and Pinterest.
Satire?

Often times, the spammers pose as PayPal and Pinterest, or any 'big name' that a lot of people sign up for, or think they might have. I get them from impostors once in while (they go to my suspected Junk in gmail), I look at them with graphics off to check, and those get trashed.

And not all of them are the poorly written, obvious ones. I got one from "Amazon", it looked just like the emails from the real Amazon, it had valid links to the graphics on Amazon.com, but.... It didn't start out "Dear Mrs. ERD50 (the account is in DW's name), and every legitimate Amazon email has that personal info. So I trashed that one. Had I hit 'unsubscribe', some spammer would have added me to their 'active' list. And maybe I'd be blaming Amazon for not unsubscribing me?

I can only share my experience, I've never had an issue unsubscribing from any legitimate promotional email from any legitimate business. Maybe others have, I don't know, but I suspect those 'promotional' emails were spammers in disguise.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Satire?

Often times, the spammers pose as PayPal and Pinterest, or any 'big name' that a lot of people sign up for, or think they might have. I get them from impostors once in while (they go to my suspected Junk in gmail), I look at them with graphics off to check, and those get trashed.

And not all of them are the poorly written, obvious ones. I got one from "Amazon", it looked just like the emails from the real Amazon, it had valid links to the graphics on Amazon.com, but.... It didn't start out "Dear Mrs. ERD50 (the account is in DW's name), and every legitimate Amazon email has that personal info. So I trashed that one. Had I hit 'unsubscribe', some spammer would have added me to their 'active' list. And maybe I'd be blaming Amazon for not unsubscribing me?

I can only share my experience, I've never had an issue unsubscribing from any legitimate promotional email from any legitimate business. Maybe others have, I don't know, but I suspect those 'promotional' emails were spammers in disguise.

-ERD50
So, let me get this straight. You give the benefit of the doubt to the internet business that engages in routine and regular mass emailing as a fundamental business practice, and doubt my ability to distinguish between a legitimate and bogus PayPal email?
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,983
I've got a single spam catcher address- very handy for keeping junk out of my "real" e-mail. Occasionally I send Unsubscribe mails to merchants still spamming 5 years after I made one purchase. I'd say about half comply.
__________________
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, let me get this straight. You give the benefit of the doubt to the internet business that engages in routine and regular mass emailing as a fundamental business practice, and doubt my ability to distinguish between a legitimate and bogus PayPal email?
I wasn't sure what you meant - that's why I put the "?" after "Satire"

It seemed you were using illegitimate and legitimate towards the same company, and that threw me. To my thinking a "legitimate" business does not send "illegitimate spam" - that would make the company "illegitimate". I would think "illegitimate spam" would describe the stuff from the impostor frauds.

I have no idea regarding your (or anyone else's) ability to distinguish a legitimate and bogus PayPal email. As I pointed out, I've seen some that looked pretty authentic, I was almost fooled by a few. Most are pretty obvious, but a few are tricky.

And as I said, IME, the "internet business that engages in routine and regular mass emailing as a fundamental business practice" have all respected my "unsubscribe" requests. Other people may have had different experiences, but I also thought a reasonable possibility was that they were responding to a fake email w/o realizing it. It happens.

I've got a few that I'm ready to unsubscribe from - I'll keep track and see how it goes and report back if you wish.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,271
Sorry to heat that....

The problem I have is the sites that will not let you unsubscribe if you do not log on and fill out some 'preferences'.... I have had a lot of those...


I also get spammed from various drug websites..... no unsubscribe available...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Sorry to heat that....

The problem I have is the sites that will not let you unsubscribe if you do not log on and fill out some 'preferences'.... I have had a lot of those...


I also get spammed from various drug websites..... no unsubscribe available...
That's some of what I'm talking about. I'm assuming, when you say "spammed from various drug websites" that you mean these are not legitimate businesses that you visited and agreed to get email from, but rather they are illegitimate businesses that sent you totally unsolicited email?

If they are illegitimate businesses, you don't want to hit any "unsubscribe" links (or any other links for that matter), or even allow images to be loaded. That's how they know you are a live one, and you will get on lists to be sold, and will get even more spam.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
Choices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: In transit
Posts: 155
"Unsubscribing" has become my Sunday afternoon activity for the last two weeks. We will see how much gets cleared out..
__________________
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:33 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 704
I think many companies sell their email lists so you get put back on ones you unsubscribed. Every couple of years, I unsubscribe from ones I'm no longer interested in and it seems to work. Definitely don't touch the oblivious spam ones.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,708
I believe most legitimate businesses, especially the large well known ones,will comply with the Federal CANSPAM law by honoring opt-out requests for marketing email.

Here is an FTC primer on how this is inteded to work. Note the provision for up to a $16,000 fine for violations.

-gauss
__________________

__________________
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
At what point do you unsubscribe from threads? Lsbcal Other topics 21 03-13-2014 12:51 PM
Unsubscribe from a thread working? Lsbcal Forum Admin 1 02-25-2008 05:25 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.