Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
So tonight she lets us know that her pet sitter had a cancellation and can do the animals. But she would still like us to come over and get acquainted for if she goes for treatment. Then we talk and decided that if she approves we will start walking her 1 year old collie 4xs a week. We will socialize it and hopefully by the time she passes it should be able to get a home. We miss our big guy and will enjoy it but with my asthma won’t be able to own a shedding dog.
That's a red flag,if she goes for treatment she needs to arrange care for her animals I wouldn't even agree to be the backup. ..watch out here...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Ivan, we will probably be primary but we only live a mile away and between the two of us don’t mind doing it. We don’t plan to take any trips for a year so it would be fine.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ivan, we will probably be primary but we only live a mile away and between the two of us don’t mind doing it. We don’t plan to take any trips for a year so it would be fine.
That's nice of you, in my birth family I'm always the one that has to "be the bigger person" or turn the other cheek. I know it's the right thing to do, but it gets old..
Old 03-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

With the 2 of us taking care of the animals will be quick and they are going to need some people time to be petted and loved so they didn’t get to lonely. I wasn’t keen on doing it alone because I am super allergic to cats and have to make sure that the cat doesn’t touch me. With my husband handling that it will be fine. I was always that person to for my parents as siblings weren’t huge help unless had to. My parents are gone now and contact is very limited with subs.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:44 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

So went over to ex’s yesterday to see how to take care of the animals and found out she is estranged from her older son because he has been stealing from her and last year stole 37k. It’s a long story how that was able to happen. She is broke except for her house. However she was a high earner for the feds and has big pension and SS. He hired a private investigator and was looking into having her declared incompetent. She changed the locks and is changing her will. The youngest has asked us to see her once a month in case we have to testify on her behalf. I will be happy never to see that evil kid again. There is nothing wrong with her mind and her psychiatrist has said she should have nothing to do with this son because he is dangerous. I did tell her that if she goes for treatment both of us would care for her animals. I thought that was a nice way of saying my husband won’t be going.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
She is going to a evaluation to see if they can help her. We are clear about that and she can hire help for treatment. She is not poor. She is better off than us.
Quote:
So went over to ex’s yesterday to see how to take care of the animals and found out she is estranged from her older son because he has been stealing from her and last year stole 37k. It’s a long story how that was able to happen. She is broke except for her house. However she was a high earner for the feds and has big pension and SS. He hired a private investigator and was looking into having her declared incompetent. She changed the locks and is changing her will. The youngest has asked us to see her once a month in case we have to testify on her behalf. I will be happy never to see that evil kid again. There is nothing wrong with her mind and her psychiatrist has said she should have nothing to do with this son because he is dangerous. I did tell her that if she goes for treatment both of us would care for her animals. I thought that was a nice way of saying my husband won’t be going.
I'm sorry for being so cynical, but this just keeps getting better and better.

It appears as though contrary to what you first thought, she IS poor. She had savings of $37K and now it's gone. Has she not been able to slowly recover from the theft? Why is the son not in jail where he belongs? Is she spending all of her pension and SS, living from check to check? How is she going to pay for treatments when she's broke, much less hire help?

You gave her a strong hint that she has to find someone else to go with her for future treatments. Does she take hints? Some people don't. You have to spell it out and even then...

IMO, she's reeling you into her drama, little by little. She's springing more on you after you've already agreed to help her with something you've convinced yourself is going to be an extremely limited, one-time instance of help. In her mind, maybe not so much.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:43 AM   #67

I don't remember where I read it, but a long time ago I saw something about "toxic people." This lady seems to fit that description. OP, your intentions are highly commendable, and I think your last reply was spot on: take care of the pets but otherwise stay out of it. Get more involved, and you might find yourself sucked into her other non-medical problems.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I guess this oldest son is also your husband's son?

Wow - tough situation! Best of luck to you!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

She had a lot more money than 37 but he was slowly taking it. She won’t press charges. I don’t know what she spends but she should have money left over each month. She doesn’t do much not feeling well. My husband said by the looks on her face she got the message. I will leave it up to my husband to see her occasionally in case he needs to testify.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Audrey, yes he is.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Assuming she has health insurance through her Federal employment health care costs should not be a major issue. She needs a good attorney who can protect her from the son.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

My husband said that after the divorce she trained him to hate his dad and now obviously he hates her too. I think she has a attorney.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like the basis of a soap opera to me or a country and western song.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So they leave next Tuesday and come back Friday or Saturday depending on what they do while she is there. I really hope they can extend her life as we are the same age and I am not ready to go (64).
My hat's off to you for taking this step. I just hope that she has taken care of business in executing a Will, Limited Power of Attorney for finances and a Healthcare Directive.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:56 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
I'm sorry for being so cynical, but this just keeps getting better and better.

It appears as though contrary to what you first thought, she IS poor. She had savings of $37K and now it's gone. Has she not been able to slowly recover from the theft? Why is the son not in jail where he belongs? Is she spending all of her pension and SS, living from check to check? How is she going to pay for treatments when she's broke, much less hire help?

You gave her a strong hint that she has to find someone else to go with her for future treatments. Does she take hints? Some people don't. You have to spell it out and even then...

IMO, she's reeling you into her drama, little by little. She's springing more on you after you've already agreed to help her with something you've convinced yourself is going to be an extremely limited, one-time instance of help. In her mind, maybe not so much.

+1. Dying ex-spouse of DH, her dangerous son, and asking of the two favors which shoudn't have been asked in the 1st place. These are basis for a bad soap opera. Hopefully, there is a happy ending for the drama and soon.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

BM, yes she told us she took care of all the necessary documents. The dangerous son is also my husband’s son. Hopefully she got the message that my husband is only going once but he said he intends to reinforce that on the trip. I don’t envy him making that trip.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

So they are in Arizona and yes she has changed all her wills into living trust. They met other people that travel there alone for treatment. At first my husband wanted to have a relationship with the bad son and I said you can do whatever you want but I don’t want him at our house or ever to see him again. He has decided he is toxic. What a roller coaster between losing my job and this. I so appreciate all the support from this forum. I am starting to worry that I cannot seem to remember not to post anything political. I really hope it’s just the stress.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So they are in Arizona and yes she has changed all her wills into living trust. They met other people that travel there alone for treatment. At first my husband wanted to have a relationship with the bad son and I said you can do whatever you want but I don’t want him at our house or ever to see him again. He has decided he is toxic. What a roller coaster between losing my job and this. I so appreciate all the support from this forum. I am starting to worry that I cannot seem to remember not to post anything political. I really hope it’s just the stress.
Man lesson number one about toxic people they don't even notice they are causing you stress and if they did finally notice they wouldn't give a crap anyway.

She'll drag you down to the bottom with her and don't ask me how I know this.
Take several steps back and seriously rethink the plans for pet care, as this will still keep you in the loop of her life, you don't want that believe me.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Ivan.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Sounds to me that you are being played like a fiddle. Truth may be a stranger to her and her son.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote