Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My BIL was close to being killed... they were doing war games and he was off so he was going to go up in a helo to watch... but got sick so did not do it...

The helo got shot down by one of the jets by accident, missile I believe... killed everyone on board...

Heard a number get it when the arresting cord snaps... someone on the show mentioned not 'getting cut in half'...

Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
That young lady was confined to the ship for 45 days which meant she didn't get liberty when all of those kids got to run around Pearl Harber (did you say hi, Nords?)
When the carrier pulls in we pretty much stay off the roads and hunker down at home. I don't know how San Diego puts up with those guys.

When the RIMPAC ships pull in, the bars & lounges pull out their most survivable oldest & gnarliest décor and double the prices on everything... and they still sell out.

Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
ALSO, can someone tell me WHY we do not provide some kind of lift for the bombs and missiles to get UP to the wings Watching them manhandle the bombs just seem stupid...
No, they're the smart ones. The stupid ones dropped theirs and were nominated for Darwin Awards.

I can appreciate the fine motor control afforded by manhandling ordnance instead of using hoists. Nothing is more terrifying than a submarine torpedomen with a Mk48 on a hydraulic rammer. "Hey, guys, watch this!!"

IIRC NIMITZ was the ship that tested a "surge" air ops of 26 straight hours. Everybody stayed on deck (or on duty) the whole time with brief naps on-station and plenty of safety supervision (provided by other commands). The whole experiment was designed to test whether a carrier could really handle a shooting war before help arrived, and they did it with only minor mishaps. This experiment was widely briefed to allies and potential enemies, scaring the hell out of both.

Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
sorry... one last question... the other day when I saw about 30 minutes... one of the pilots said his helmet cost $60K.... is this correct If so... WOW...
Yes, but only because they buy them at a bulk discount...

I liked the comparison to a head-mounted Mercedes.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:33 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Finally got caught up with the show tonight. It just keeps better and better. The human drama really adds an element which is missing in most PBS documentaris and virtually all military documentaries.

I talked to a couple of retired naval aviators today and they gave the show a big thumbs up.

ONe nitty thing is bothering me. I thought subs were called boats and everything was a ship (except I guess submariner call them targets. ) but the all enlisted guys say getting back to the boat.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote