upcoming pbs special: life aboard the uss nimitz

i was surprised see gibson involved in this and i'm a little disturbed that he was given such a free hand with the united states navy. i kept his anti-semitism in mind as i watched tonight's episode dealing with the supposed-anti-black racist who was offered an "other than honorable" discharge. (i'm not convinced the kid wasn't just trying to get out of the navy.)

a phrase almost stuck in my mind from watching today. something about working on a ship that is a dictatorship to defend democracy. all in all, real interesting seeing how that community works. if it weren't for all the bombs it actually looks not as bad as corporate life.

the air & sea show here was canceled this year but fort lauderdale is still always accommodating. April 28 - May 4, 2008  ||  National Salute to America's Heroes: Schedule: Fleet Week USA.

there's a nuke-powered sub in port everglades (Fleet Week: Submarine duty brings out depths of emotion -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com) and maybe even an air craft carrier offshore.

will post some pictures if i get to it this week.

I've really enjoyed this show as well. It's a dose of reality and takes a lot of the exoticness out of some of my preconceived perceptions. It also makes you appreciate how much these crew members are sacrificing for their country. While they may not exactly be catching bullets on the front line in Iraq, they are forced to deal with a completely different way of life. Much more constrained and much less free than what we are privledged to enjoy in the civilian world, which in and of itself deserves appreciation. Personally, I have gained a new found respect.

Lazy, I believe Mel Gibson is only one of the directors. They also have a retired USN Captain involved in the production.

Amazing that anything designed and produced by the government can work so well.

My ex took me out on a dependents' cruise when he was serving aboard the Enterprise. I still have a picture of us sailing under the Golden Gate bridge with sunny San Francisco in the background.

They split the visitors into two groups for the airshow. We were in the second group, and watched them launch exactly one plane before the show was called off. Major disappointment. When we went back to the weather office where he worked, however, we learned that the plane had disappeared from the radar shortly after takeoff, never to be seen again.

I keep remembering that pilot while I watch this.

RIP

A great reminder that even in peace time, naval aviation is quite dangerous. (albeit even if it looks like an incredible adrenaline rush). I cracked up when the new female pilot was telling her mom she just got back from flying. Mom exclaimed "they have you fly at night :eek: is that safe". Not sure if you lie to mom in that situation or just change the subject.

... phrase almost stuck in my mind from watching today. something about working on a ship that is a dictatorship to defend democracy.
"We're here to defend democracy, not practice it!!"
-- Gene Hackman, "Crimson Tide"

Amazing that anything designed and produced by the government can work so well.
... and built by the lowest bidder, too.

Im just impressed with the young people doing these jobs. These people need a pay raise.

Spent all my time on destroyers. So when I visited an old friend on his carrier, I remember walking away thinking that it was too big to be call a ship. Ships are suppose to pitch and roll, let you know you're underway.

Heck, this submariner found even a destroyer uncomfortably large.

Caught the first two episodes last night - loved it!

I was laughing and yet marveling as I am now a squadron commander in the Air Force Reserves and some of the behavior I see in my young airman is so similar -and yet they work SO hard loading and unloading planes - a good number of them are leaving for their deployment in various sandboxes and it has been interesting watching this process. One guy got married right before - another had me sign his insurance paperwork - another confided things are 'rocky' at home and he wants a break....all kinds of reasons - and yet they all volunteered.

It has also been interesting seeing how the Navy handles the discipline - that young lady talking to her Dad - she was happy she got a 'suspended bust' in that she didn't lose a stripe - the other guy who was mad at his CO not allowing him to transfer to air rescue - when we finally heard his commander's side, turns out the young seaman had an underage drinking bust - so Nords statement is right on. That young lady was confined to the ship for 45 days which meant she didn't get liberty when all of those kids got to run around Pearl Harber (did you say hi, Nords?) - frankly, I can't wait to see the rest of it - these are the types of things that PBS does right.

And off topic - did watch all of John Adams - another great series.

Saw a bit of it tonight.... and sorry that someone was lost overboard...

Can someone with experience tell me... one of my BIL was on a carrier back during Viet Nam.... and I remember him saying that someone came home dead on every deployment... from accident or something else... sometimes a number of guys...

ALSO, can someone tell me WHY we do not provide some kind of lift for the bombs and missiles to get UP to the wings:confused: Watching them manhandle the bombs just seem stupid...

sorry... one last question... the other day when I saw about 30 minutes... one of the pilots said his helmet cost $60K.... is this correct:confused: If so... WOW...

Retired Navy Aviation Master Chief here, let me help. 7 cruises under my belt and only two where death free. Average anywhere between 1 and as high as 8 deaths. My second cruise we lost an EA6B, F-14 and an S-3 and 2 MOB's. Carriers are pretty safe unless you go to what we call affectionately "the roof". Once on the roof, is it a dangerous place that requires your head to be on a swivel at all times. I've seen numerous people get blown down/over by jets coming up on power, cold catapult shots, FOD'd engines, people run over by taxing aircraft, list goes on. Factor in, doing it at night, and you have a very dangerous working environment, that doesn't give second chances for stupidity or carelessness.

Ordnancemen, AO's or Beebee Stackers, have mechaical lifts for uploading bombs and missiles, they just prefer not to use them. When its inspection time, they use them, thats it. Its faster and more efficent I suppose. Probably been that way since WWII. Very proud bunch and they live by the motto. IYAOYAS. I'm not one by trade, but have the utmost respect for the red shirts and the job they do.

New pilot helmets are pour form fitted for their own heads. Couple that with the electronic voice communications required and $60K is cheap protection, when considered what it costs to train a pilot.

This Aviation Anti-Submarine Warefare Operator Second Class agrees with bayfritz's comments (based on only 2 cruises). I sat in the back seat of an S2-G (predates the S3) and was terrified when on the roof (especially at night!). Quickly pre-flight the bird and strap in into my safe little home. Land and run for the catwalk to get off that crazy, loud, scary, dangerous roof ...

t.r.

Last edited:
Like this guy!

YouTube - Sucked Into Jet Engine

He lived..crazy

We had a young lad who was getting trained as final checker on an A-6, while checking the nose wheel landing gear, he rose up too high and was sucked into the intake. Luckily, his helmet/cranial was sucked off his head and damaged the engine. It was the only thing that saved his life. Two days later they had him on ships TV for an interview, and he was still yelling because of the ringing in his ears. Eventually he was discharged because his hearing loss was so severe fom the accident.

Had a good laugh after last night's episode. There's an upcoming show on Bush I. There was a short clip of James Baker, talking about how he was regularly asked why Desert Storm didn't go to Baghdad.

"They don't ask me that anymore..."

Saw a bit of it tonight.... and sorry that someone was lost overboard...

Can someone with experience tell me... one of my BIL was on a carrier back during Viet Nam.... and I remember him saying that someone came home dead on every deployment... from accident or something else... sometimes a number of guys...

ALSO, can someone tell me WHY we do not provide some kind of lift for the bombs and missiles to get UP to the wingsWOW

while watching the man overboard segment i had this odd feeling that it somehow was not emotional enough. i couldn't decide if it was the film making or simply reflective of an institution dealing daily with death.

not surprised to hear someone dies on each deployment and i imagine that even without engagement. an earlier segment showed in pretty good detail the activity on deck and how the guys have to constantly shift there attention from side to side to make sure they don't get, as noted above, sucked into an engine or sliced by a prop. in fact, i seem to remember myself getting upset early on that so many guys were dying in the iraq war because of accidents. that's what happens when you play with real tanks. and just wait until i think tonight when they show the pilots landing with the ship in heavy seas. just in case ya wanna bring up the chance for an accident.

i had similar thought about lifting the bombs. seems like those bomb dollies could have a built-in hydraulic jack. but that probably ain't butch enough or, i mean, not as fast.

got stuck by the bridge right at port everglades so i took some pics of navy ships here on leave...

img_651141_0_c1e4b62cb0d0a7f5317452265a83aa87.jpg

img_651141_1_03a8f7503e48da0668fdb0870046c09e.jpg

img_651141_2_aa931f84c3cb7ef699081d4c69c5058e.jpg

img_651141_3_1483a7b7749f490630f1eabe24b992e1.jpg

My BIL was close to being killed... they were doing war games and he was off so he was going to go up in a helo to watch... but got sick so did not do it...

The helo got shot down by one of the jets by accident, missile I believe... killed everyone on board...

Heard a number get it when the arresting cord snaps... someone on the show mentioned not 'getting cut in half'...

That young lady was confined to the ship for 45 days which meant she didn't get liberty when all of those kids got to run around Pearl Harber (did you say hi, Nords?)
When the carrier pulls in we pretty much stay off the roads and hunker down at home. I don't know how San Diego puts up with those guys.

When the RIMPAC ships pull in, the bars & lounges pull out their [-]most survivable[/-] oldest & gnarliest décor and double the prices on everything... and they still sell out.

ALSO, can someone tell me WHY we do not provide some kind of lift for the bombs and missiles to get UP to the wings:confused: Watching them manhandle the bombs just seem stupid...
No, they're the smart ones. The stupid ones dropped theirs and were nominated for Darwin Awards.

I can appreciate the fine motor control afforded by manhandling ordnance instead of using hoists. Nothing is more terrifying than a submarine torpedomen with a Mk48 on a hydraulic rammer. "Hey, guys, watch this!!"

IIRC NIMITZ was the ship that tested a "surge" air ops of 26 straight hours. Everybody stayed on deck (or on duty) the whole time with brief naps on-station and plenty of safety supervision (provided by other commands). The whole experiment was designed to test whether a carrier could really handle a shooting war before help arrived, and they did it with only minor mishaps. This experiment was widely briefed to allies and potential enemies, scaring the hell out of both.

sorry... one last question... the other day when I saw about 30 minutes... one of the pilots said his helmet cost $60K.... is this correct:confused: If so... WOW...
Yes, but only because they buy them at a bulk discount...

I liked the comparison to a head-mounted Mercedes.

Finally got caught up with the show tonight. It just keeps better and better. The human drama really adds an element which is missing in most PBS documentaris and virtually all military documentaries.

I talked to a couple of retired naval aviators today and they gave the show a big thumbs up.

ONe nitty thing is bothering me. I thought subs were called boats and everything was a ship (except I guess submariner call them targets. :) ) but the all enlisted guys say getting back to the boat.

Back
Top Bottom