Join Early Retirement Today

upcoming pbs special: life aboard the uss nimitz
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

upcoming pbs special: life aboard the uss nimitz

one for the nords. happened to catch a preview of the making of the documentary "carrier" (a ten-part mini-series) airing april 27-may 1. looks very good.

CARRIER | PBS

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #2

Neat. I had a relative who served aboard the Nimitz. He had some really great stories.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #3

they said they are doing it like a reality tv show only better (i hope). you could see from the preview that the producers were very into it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took a tour last month of the USS Midway in San Diego. I had never even been close to an aircraft carrier before that. The size and complexity of these amazing machines have to be seen first hand to fully appreciate the service of the men and women who operate them.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

The ship tour that impressed me the most was the Torsk, a WWII submarine in Baltimore. Those crews had Big Brass Ones.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not to change the subject, but HBO's mini-series John Adams started this week also. First two looked good, but I'm a history nut, so YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

lazy, Thanks! I'll definitely be looking for this having spent 13 months on aircraft carriers (30 years ago). Should bring back a few memories.

t.r.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Looking forward to it. I don't know much more about CVNs than the rest of the public.

I liked the assessment of the guy who said that it's a floating high school. The median age is probably about 19-20.

We'll just buy the DVD for our Navy-wannabe daughter to view obsessively... it'll be interesting to see how it affects her decision and overall recruiting. The Navy is probably paying PBS for this one!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Lazy, it really is thought-provoking to take a close look at military ships; I've toured a sub, a rare supply transport that survived WWII, and I'll never forget waiting in line to get on board the Missouri, someone handed out the lyrics to John Lennon's "Imagine."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #10

having studied city planning during my two-plus years of architecture at u of f and lived in small towns of under 10k population (granted, though, in suburbia and next to large cities), and having lived on a boat, i find the idea of 5-6,000 people all living aboard one ship nothing less than fascinating.

if they weren't war machines, i bet they'd be a lot of fun. though i hadn't thought of the age and "floating high school" at that, just by infrastructure alone, aircraft carriers are amazing. these things really are floating cities, making their own water and electric. they have their own portable airport. the only thing they are missing is a little farm on the, um, poop deck.

i've never toured one though i did see the uss reagan when it came to fort lauderdale. think i posted this picture before but here it is again. check out how it just dwarfs the 31-story point of the americas condominium building on entering port everglades. just amazing.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

As a Navy courier based in the Philippines during the Viet Nam war I made a couple of flights out to the carriers on Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin. As a visitor on the ship it is very easy to get lost. I'm sure many of the carrier sailors had a good laugh at this lowly Ltjg trying to find his way around. I spent a lot of time on vultures row high in the island watching planes get catapaulted off the ship heading for North Viet Nam.

As a passenger strapped in the back of the C-2 Carrier Onboard Delivery Aircraft (COD) aircraft the arrested landing is not as exciting as the catapaulting off the bow or waist cats. It's called a cat shot. If I remember you go from 0 to 130 knots in about 2.5 seconds. It has no ejection seat so if the plane goes into the water you probably won't get out before it sinks. The cat shot has been described as making love while you are in a car wreck. I think thats a pretty good description.

2soon2tell
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

hmmm; had about a 100 cat shots and don't recall ever thinking I was makin' love. :confused: Do recall a few landings that felt like car wrecks. One where we blew a tire and had to be towed off the deck comes to mind!

t.r.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent all my time on destroyers. So when I visited an old friend on his carrier, I remember walking away thinking that it was too big to be call a ship. Ships are suppose to pitch and roll, let you know you're underway.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #14

So I finally caught this show last night around 2 am the 1st episode. Wow I thought it was really cool! I got a kick out of the young people saying it was like being a in big high school. It was interesting seeing how the young people and the old timers worked together.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse has been riveted to the screen, and I'm enjoying the director's camera/interview techniques.

I especially enjoy the whining about how cramped and closed in everybody feels.

Looks like this one's a winner.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Just finished watching this on the internet. Looks like a great series, way better than Big Brother even if it is a lot more crowded...

I'd love to go out on one of their "family" cruises and watch the launch and land jets.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #17

I noticed it said Mel Gibson as the director. Same actor Mel Gibson?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I tuned in in the middle last night -- that woman that was disciplined then called her dad -- what had she done?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #19

Something to do with drinking. Part of her punishment was AA meetings.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I tuned in in the middle last night -- that woman that was disciplined then called her dad -- what had she done?
I believe she was caught with an adult beverage of some kind...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote